Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if there's already a thread on this!
    I'd quite like to get to know people before I go, and thought that others might like to do so too.
    I'm from East Devon so don't know anyone at all!

ReputationRep:
    How soon after results day do we get our Fresher's Pack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lobster91)
    Sorry if there's already a thread on this!
    I'd quite like to get to know people before I go, and thought that others might like to do so too.
    I'm from East Devon so don't know anyone at all!
    Hey, it looks like your thread has been merged with the official chat thread. There is quite a few of us going as you can see! Have you joined the facebook freshers groups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    How soon after results day do we get our Fresher's Pack?
    You buy the freshers pack? or there was another thing sent out to me a day after exam results which had stuff about matriculation, a map, first meetings, and freshers information (I think this is what you meant)

So I'd say a day or two

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been sent anything at all yet - nothing about accommodation, matriculation or freshers week! Also I'm worried about whether I'm meant to be reading stuff before I go - I haven't been sent a reading list and it's getting really late!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikvoria)
    I haven't been sent anything at all yet - nothing about accommodation, matriculation or freshers week! Also I'm worried about whether I'm meant to be reading stuff before I go - I haven't been sent a reading list and it's getting really late!!
    Did you apply for accommodation?
    If not, it's too late. You won't be offered any University accommodation and you'll have to arrange a place to stay on your own. Better get a move on, http://edinburgh.gumtree.com is your friend.

Did you, waaaay back, receive log in details for "myed.ed.ac.uk"?
    If not, you should contact your admissions or registry ASAP! I don't know who could help you there but I would e-mail anyone I could find. Examples is your school and the registry (http://www.registry.ed.ac.uk/).

Information on Freshers,
    you can find mostly here: http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/freshers. But more specific details, like when your specific class will meet up, etc, should've arrived by mail. If not you should check your school website or contact them directly.

I did not receive any reading list,
    nor do I know anyone who did. If we were to receive a list now it would be a bit too late anyway.. I mean, how much do you really have the time to read in 3 weeks with all the other preparations preparing for Uni usually brings..? As I understand it, the Scottish University system makes the first year to be a bit more relaxed than other Unis, so it shouldn't be too much to handle.

ReputationRep:
    How would you rate the language degrees at Edinburgh? Are there any problems with the departments? Are the papers interesting? Do you regret choosing Edinburgh or is it that you couldn't be happer?

I suppose it'd be good if you rated the general Edinburgh experience too, both academically and socially etc.

Thanks a bundle

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know this as well actually! :yep:
    *Subscibes*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Hey, it looks like your thread has been merged with the official chat thread. There is quite a few of us going as you can see! Have you joined the facebook freshers groups?
    There are quite a few of them! Have joined those which I have found so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    I'd like to know this as well actually! :yep:
    *Subscibes*
    Which are your languages?

I found this useful: http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/reviewer

They are positive about French and portuguese, but not about Spanish. That's all I checked really.

EDVB

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I was planning on applying to French and Spanish!
    Yourself? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Did you apply for accommodation?
    If not, it's too late. You won't be offered any University accommodation and you'll have to arrange a place to stay on your own. Better get a move on, http://edinburgh.gumtree.com is your friend.

Did you, waaaay back, receive log in details for "myed.ed.ac.uk"?
    If not, you should contact your admissions or registry ASAP! I don't know who could help you there but I would e-mail anyone I could find. Examples is your school and the registry (http://www.registry.ed.ac.uk/).

Information on Freshers,
    you can find mostly here: http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/freshers. But more specific details, like when your specific class will meet up, etc, should've arrived by mail. If not you should check your school website or contact them directly.

I did not receive any reading list,
    nor do I know anyone who did. If we were to receive a list now it would be a bit too late anyway.. I mean, how much do you really have the time to read in 3 weeks with all the other preparations preparing for Uni usually brings..? As I understand it, the Scottish University system makes the first year to be a bit more relaxed than other Unis, so it shouldn't be too much to handle.
    Yeah I've applied for accommodation so I'm not too bothered about that, but my friend who's doing the same course as me received a joining pack today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Damn, I was planning on applying to French and Spanish!
    Yourself? :rolleyes:
    Actually I have a place. It was my insurance because I was a bit unsure of the quality. Edinburgh has had some horrendous quality issues with some of it's teaching provision, and I was a bit worried. It seems mostly ok. The literature aspect is a significant negative. You'd think they'd notice it puts people off and change that.

I'm doing French, Spanish and EU Studies

ReputationRep:
    Actually I have a place. It was my insurance because I was a bit unsure of the quality. Edinburgh has had some horrendous quality issues with some of it's teaching provision, and I was a bit worried. It seems mostly ok. The literature aspect is a significant negative. You'd think they'd notice it puts people off and change that.

I'm doing French, Spanish and EU Studies
    Yeah it's been made really clear in those reviews that the literature is a definite negative! :eek:
    Ooh so you're starting next month?

ReputationRep:
    The joining back will come eventually :P I know someone who hasn't receive there joining pack and they just got their A level results on Thursday. He also told me that accommodation offers would be made, by the latest, on the 31st August

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else on here going to be allocated a bunk bed shared catered room?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else on here going to be allocated a bunk bed shared catered room?
    Yeah, I think I am. I don't mind sharing so much, but the rooms are singles with a bunk bed in... the facilities are for one but there will be two. It'll be like some Thai prison cell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikvoria)

Most unis don't really do a reading list, but for the English Lit portion of your degree:

English 1 Reading List

They recommend that you at least start on some of the novels advised for the course (Robinson Crusoe, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Turn of the Screw and Confessions of a Justified Sinner), as well as some of the longer pieces chosen from the Norton Anthologies (such as the books chosen from Paradise Lost).

The English Lit department can be found at:

Edinburgh English Literature Department

With regards to accommodation, if you've taken A levels (or equivalent) this year, then I would imagine you havedn;t yet been allocated a room and will receive an offer soon. This was certainly my experience last year when I went to UCL - I had to wait until the A level results came out to get my accommodation offer, about 3 weeks before I was due to arrive (last September). I would imagine Edinburgh would be the same.

So just keep an eye out for the offer email - also check your uni email (you can do this through your myed portal); they didn't send my accom offer to me at the email address I provided, and decided to send it to my uni email, so I nearly missed it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think I am. I don't mind sharing so much, but the rooms are singles with a bunk bed in... the facilities are for one but there will be two. It'll be like some Thai prison cell.
    Hopefully it won't be as bad as that!
    I think I'm more worried about whether or not my room-mate likes me! It's quite a strange situation though.."Hello! I know you don't know me but I'm going to be living with you for this year". The lack of privacy will also take some getting used to.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully it won't be as bad as that!
    I think I'm more worried about whether or not my room-mate likes me! It's quite a strange situation though.."Hello! I know you don't know me but I'm going to be living with you for this year". The lack of privacy will also take some getting used to.
    More like "hello, one of us is going to be sleeping on the other. Heads or tails for top bunk?"

It will be hard to get used to it, but it's not impossible, and atleast you've got a captive friend, for the first few weeks anyway.

Did you say what you were studying?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.