Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsparrow)
    Hi peeps! Thought I'd start a thread for the lucky people who are going to Edinburgh in 2009. I know we've got aaages yet, but we can still enthuse about it :jive:
    As you can probably tell, it has just begun to sink in...
    I'm doing Architecture, btw. Needed BBB, and got ABB (in Biology, Chem & Physics). Scraped the Physics (2 marks) :yikes:
    :yes: I'm doing architecture too ! safe

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I am going to study Linguistics. Hurrah!

Anyone still waiting to hear about accomodation? Apparently they're running out of places! I hope not!

Hope everyone's EXCITED!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    More like "hello, one of us is going to be sleeping on the other. Heads or tails for top bunk?"

It will be hard to get used to it, but it's not impossible, and atleast you've got a captive friend, for the first few weeks anyway.

Did you say what you were studying?
    I'm going to be studying History!
    Lol I'm imagining the captive friend...including lead or something and crazy person saying "Be my friend!!! Be my friend!!!" in a crazy voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarfcase)
    Hello. I am going to study Linguistics. Hurrah!

Anyone still waiting to hear about accomodation? Apparently they're running out of places! I hope not!

Hope everyone's EXCITED!! xxx
    I'm still waiting! I'm getting nervous now, especially as most people seem to have found out where they're staying. I better not end up in bunk beds!

ReputationRep:
    heym i recieved an offer for my accomodation this afternoon but it wasn't any of the ones I'd asked for out of the 3 I applied for! all three id asked for had been en suites + catered and the offer i got was shared bathroom yet still catered. Does anyone think there's much point in me trying to change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlerabbit)
    heym i recieved an offer for my accomodation this afternoon but it wasn't any of the ones I'd asked for out of the 3 I applied for! all three id asked for had been en suites + catered and the offer i got was shared bathroom yet still catered. Does anyone think there's much point in me trying to change?
    Absolutely none. You got that when you didn't want it clearly because other people wanted the same as you.

Supply and demand. It's a *****, but it's here to stay.

EDVB

ReputationRep:
    Probably a bit late to be asking this, but whats the deal with the additional subjects some people are taking?
    Im starting MechEng- do I have to take something else on the side? Where can I find more info about it?

Ta, Duane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duane...)
    Probably a bit late to be asking this, but whats the deal with the additional subjects some people are taking?
    Im starting MechEng- do I have to take something else on the side? Where can I find more info about it?

Ta, Duane.
    It depends on your workload and how many compulsory courses you have - like as an English Lit student, I only have one course of english lit a term for my first two years, so because of that (and I guess to fill up my time table) I have to choose two other subjects to take. It can really be anything, so long as it's not a 'professional' course (I don't think I could take, for example, an architecture course, or a law one) and so long as they don't clash with English Lit.

From those two subjects in my first year, one I have to carry on into my second year and then one is replaced with a different course in my second year. So if I did English Lit, History of Art and Linguistics in my first year, I could have a combination of English Lit, History of Art and French in my second.

For MechEng I'm not sure, looking through the prospectus I have it says:

Year 1: '...For most of our degrees you can choose an outside subject from the sciences or the arts...'

So it looks like you may, depending on what kind of engineering you'll be doing, have to do at least one outside subject. It also means that you can keep your final degree choice open if you choose a good combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlerabbit)
    be glad you still got a signle room an=t pollock - i was put 5 miles out at a 6th form college thing with single room and shared facilities, then after a long discussion down the phone they offered me a bunk bed room at pollock and i agreed. it could be worse mate... i would say you actually got quite lucky

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how we get our reading/book lists for our courses?? do we buy books up there?? do we get sent a list?? or do we have to go on the website and find out for ourselves??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john-milton)
    does anyone know how we get our reading/book lists for our courses?? do we buy books up there?? do we get sent a list?? or do we have to go on the website and find out for ourselves??
    What's your main subject?

I saw something about literature in one of your other posts, I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladylish)
    What's your main subject?

I saw something about literature in one of your other posts, I think?
    yep ... scottish literature

ReputationRep:
    yep ... scottish literature
    In which case:

Set Texts for Scottish Lit 1

It says 2008/09 but the English Lit one was 'updated' recently and stayed the same as last year, so I imagine Scottish Lit would remain the same too. That page is in process of being updated, anyway, so keep an eye on it?

The English Lit (which also encompasses Scottish Lit) home page is here:

English Literature Home Page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladylish)
    In which case:

Set Texts for Scottish Lit 1

It says 2008/09 but the English Lit one was 'updated' recently and stayed the same as last year, so I imagine Scottish Lit would remain the same too. That page is in process of being updated, anyway, so keep an eye on it?

The English Lit (which also encompasses Scottish Lit) home page is here:

English Literature Home Page
    thanks.... i will start reading last years texts anyway...a dn if they do change a bit I'll just catch up when i get there

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else been assigned to Chancellor's Courts, twin ensuite room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lobster91)
    Has anyone else been assigned to Chancellor's Courts, twin ensuite room?
    yes indeedy. apparently most people who put edinburgh as thier insurance have automatically been assigned to twin rooms. i originally got a single room at the place 5 miles out, and they said i could change to a twin at chancellors court - i thought it was worth it

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that it is possible to change halls, or do you have to wait until later and say that you are unhappy where you are??

Do any halls have spare capacity, like the most expensive ones?

xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

this might seem like a very stupid question but I was wondering, what kind of bags do people take when they are going to class? Are backpacks quite normal with girls?

I feel like such a prat for asking it, but I was thinking of getting a new backpack but I don't want to look weird if girls generally don't wear them. I'm travelling from home everyday so carrying my books in my hand isn't really an option (unless I have a giant lever-arch or something, which I don't really think I'd need). Main reason I'm asking is because I was wearing regular big handbags on my shoulder for school and I fear that my back is going to die from yet more pressure on one shoulder. If you can give me a normal answer, that would be grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! Thanks! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FruitFaerie)
    Hey,

this might seem like a very stupid question but I was wondering, what kind of bags do people take when they are going to class? Are backpacks quite normal with girls?

I feel like such a prat for asking it, but I was thinking of getting a new backpack but I don't want to look weird if girls generally don't wear them. I'm travelling from home everyday so carrying my books in my hand isn't really an option (unless I have a giant lever-arch or something, which I don't really think I'd need). Main reason I'm asking is because I was wearing regular big handbags on my shoulder for school and I fear that my back is going to die from yet more pressure on one shoulder. If you can give me a normal answer, that would be grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! Thanks! :P
    I'm not really educated to answer this as I'm not from Edinburgh (yet), but when I was there in February and April this year I saw plenty of students around the uni, both guys and gals, wearing backpacks. I also saw several shoulderbags, but like you say if you care more about your back than your image you should go with the backpack. I know I am .

ReputationRep:
    yes indeedy. apparently most people who put edinburgh as thier insurance have automatically been assigned to twin rooms. i originally got a single room at the place 5 miles out, and they said i could change to a twin at chancellors court - i thought it was worth it
    Do you know what room you've been assigned to yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.