ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_glitter)
    Finally got my registration papers :woo:
    Argh I still haven't received them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsnake)
    Argh I still haven't received them
    I wouldn't worry about it, you've got ages to matriculate
    Worst that'll happen is you'll spend a bit longer in that crazy tent they set up in Old College, it's like an initiation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColinOfEdinburgh)
    I wouldn't worry about it, you've got ages to matriculate
    Worst that'll happen is you'll spend a bit longer in that crazy tent they set up in Old College, it's like an initiation...
    Yeah... but I should matriculate as soon as possible. After that I have to get a Certificate of Matriculation which will take some more 2-3 weeks, this as to be sent back to Portugal, certified by the UK Consulate, and only then it can be used to get a bank loan for students.

-_-

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... but I should matriculate as soon as possible. After that I have to get a Certificate of Matriculation which will take some more 2-3 weeks, this as to be sent back to Portugal, certified by the UK Consulate, and only then it can be used to get a bank loan for students.

-_-
    If I understood everything correctly, "registration" is only one part of "matriculation" and the part like "Meeting with your DoS" can't be done before getting to Edinburgh anyway. Which then means you won't be able to hurry your Certificate of Matriculation much more by registering before hand.

Maybe if you explain the situation to the registry they might be able to hurry up your certificate, although I assume a lot of International students are in the same situation .. :/

ReputationRep:

-_-
    I'm sort of in the same situation (I'm not sure whether they were asking for it to be certified by the UK Consulate, though) - German student finance wanted several forms filled in by the university confiming my place, accommodation and god knows what else, and I gave them a copy of my UCAS letter and accommodation contract instead but I have no idea whether they've accepted it or not because it hasn't gone through yet.

I was actually supposed to apply for my maintenance loan thingy in March (!!!!) which was completely impossible :o:

German student finance are idiots. Hate them. Urgh. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I meant the portuguese consulate.... and guess what the closest one is in Manchester :banghead:

I didn't manage to find one in Scotland over the internet. Could any of you provide me any good website which could help me confirm there is really no portuguese consulate in Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't manage to find one in Scotland over the internet. Could any of you provide me any good website which could help me confirm there is really no portuguese consulate in Scotland?
    Looks like it:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ns_of_Portugal

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I meant the portuguese consulate.... and guess what the closest one is in Manchester :banghead:

There is apparently a Portuguese Embassy in Edinburgh, but no consulate apparently. Would an embassy work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    There is apparently a Portuguese Embassy in Edinburgh, but no consulate apparently. Would an embassy work?
    Where did you get this information, so I can try and find out their contact and ask them.

Thanks for the help so far everyone

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get this information, so I can try and find out their contact and ask them.

Thanks for the help so far everyone
    I googled "Portuguese Consulate Edinburgh." I found this site: http://portugal.embassyhomepage.com/

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering the rules on people coming to stay, because i have a friend who has already booked trains to come stay with me for 4 nights at the end of september, is that okay or too long?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I googled "Portuguese Consulate Edinburgh." I found this site: http://portugal.embassyhomepage.com/
    That website is fake. You get if you google just about any country name plus embassy plus british city name. If you think about it, the embassy would hardly be in Edinburgh, and if you look at the address given, it's in Londonderry!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, people here...oops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    That website is fake. You get if you google just about any country name plus embassy plus british city name. If you think about it, the embassy would hardly be in Edinburgh, and if you look at the address given, it's in Londonderry!
    I found another site that said there was an Embassy in Scotland; several, in fact. It seems likely there'd be an embassy, given that Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland. I know there are US and Norwegian embassies/consulates, so why not Portugal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lia_s)
    i was just wondering the rules on people coming to stay, because i have a friend who has already booked trains to come stay with me for 4 nights at the end of september, is that okay or too long?
    perfectly fine... people have their other halves living with them for most of the year. If your in flats it will go totally unnoticed, and in Pollock it's just your cleaner who would know.

And sorry I've been away guys... I'm in Thailand travelling atm so have just been coming online to do PS help duties stuff. I need to find out who met their offers...

ReputationRep:
    I have a small question about the Freshers week. Is there supposed to be a time at the beginning when you meet up with your class/course mates or is that up to everyone to arrange for themselves? I wonder mainly because with all the activities going on in Freshers week I think it could be pretty chaotic and.. lonely if you don't have anyone you know there. It would be a bit awkward to just grab any fresher to hang out with :P.

(Original post by oxymoronic)
    And sorry I've been away guys... I'm in Thailand travelling atm so have just been coming online to do PS help duties stuff. I need to find out who met their offers...
    Welcome back oxy! Hope you had a nice time in Thailand .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    I have a small question about the Freshers week. Is there supposed to be a time at the beginning when you meet up with your class/course mates or is that up to everyone to arrange for themselves? I wonder mainly because with all the activities going on in Freshers week I think it could be pretty chaotic and.. lonely if you don't have anyone you know there. It would be a bit awkward to just grab any fresher to hang out with :P.

Welcome back oxy! Hope you had a nice time in Thailand .
    I'm still in Bangkok I don't get back to the UK till the end of freshers week.

Umm I think it depends on your subject area to be honest. There wasn't anything in mine, but I know some people did have things. In the freshers week information you get details about the initial meeting for your course where you are allocated DoS' and such like, then if there is anything additional they will presumably let you know there. Or you can just arrange something with the people you end up sitting next to, as in freshers week everyone wants to be everyones best friend so it's really not arkward just grabbing people to hang out with at all! A lot of the societies have introduction meetings etc (go to the societies fair to find out about them) so even if you're only vaguely interested in joining you may as well go to them as they're usually free and depending on the society, you could end up doing some really cool stuff with no commitment of actually joining the group. Also, look to see if there is an academic society for your subject and go to their initial meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I'm still in Bangkok I don't get back to the UK till the end of freshers week.

Umm I think it depends on your subject area to be honest. There wasn't anything in mine, but I know some people did have things. In the freshers week information you get details about the initial meeting for your course where you are allocated DoS' and such like, then if there is anything additional they will presumably let you know there. Or you can just arrange something with the people you end up sitting next to, as in freshers week everyone wants to be everyones best friend so it's really not arkward just grabbing people to hang out with at all! A lot of the societies have introduction meetings etc (go to the societies fair to find out about them) so even if you're only vaguely interested in joining you may as well go to them as they're usually free and depending on the society, you could end up doing some really cool stuff with no commitment of actually joining the group. Also, look to see if there is an academic society for your subject and go to their initial meeting.
    Oh.. Yeah, I misread your post :P. Hope you're having a good time in Thailand then!

Cool, I just wanted to understand a bit how Freshers week work. Here in Sweden some Uni's have a similar thing but it's a lot more centred around your class, and more like an initiation rite or something :P. But sure, then if everyone is in the same boat I suppose it'll be easier just to start finding people .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Here in Sweden some Uni's have a similar thing but it's a lot more centred around your class, and more like an initiation rite or something :P.
    Have to say I haven't been all that impressed by freshers week in Uppsala - I didn't particularly love Edinburgh's but it was much more aimed at everyone. Feels like you have to be a certain sort of person to enjoy Swedish welcome stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.