The Student Room Group

How to be more motivated (A-Levels)

Really don't know, easily get distracted and so hard to sit down and work no matter what
Original post by crykanboi
Really don't know, easily get distracted and so hard to sit down and work no matter what

Which A levels are you doing and what are your main interests?

Try linking the two things. For example, I was really interested in minerals, which really link into inorganic chemistry, due to transition metal ions affecting the colours and ionic compounds that comprise the minerals having characteristic structures that affect the shapes of the crystals formed (of course the list goes on, but alas, I digress).

When I learned of this, I ended up studying chemistry to the point where it actually became really enjoyable, as it helped me develop a better understanding of minerals and I also became well aware of important applications of chemistry elsewhere. I’d say that now chemistry is my main interest of all things, so clearly this can work.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Which A levels are you doing and what are your main interests?

Try linking the two things. For example, I was really interested in minerals, which really link into inorganic chemistry, due to transition metal ions affecting the colours and ionic compounds that comprise the minerals having characteristic structures that affect the shapes of the crystals formed (of course the list goes on, but alas, I digress).

When I learned of this, I ended up studying chemistry to the point where it actually became really enjoyable, as it helped me develop a better understanding of minerals and I also became well aware of important applications of chemistry elsewhere. I’d say that now chemistry is my main interest of all things, so clearly this can work.

I appreciate your reply. I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My interests include running, history and cars.
I understand this, and how did you first start? And did it require a lot of time for this extracurricular activity of learning? I perfectly agree with you that it must be more interesting, it's just when it gets to the point of banging out past paper questions all day just to get better at application questions (I am bad at them) it gets boring and my mind starts wandering around I don't know what to do about this it's always happened (e.g with the ppq.)
Original post by crykanboi
I appreciate your reply. I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My interests include running, history and cars.
I understand this, and how did you first start? And did it require a lot of time for this extracurricular activity of learning? I perfectly agree with you that it must be more interesting, it's just when it gets to the point of banging out past paper questions all day just to get better at application questions (I am bad at them) it gets boring and my mind starts wandering around I don't know what to do about this it's always happened (e.g with the ppq.)

I guess it started when reading a bit about pyrite and seeing that it was ‘FeS2’, so I just had to look up exactly what that meant (I was like 10 at the time, so still a baby). From there, I developed an interest, but it wasn’t until year 7 that I really developed my interest in chemistry as I had more time devoted to it in school.

As little as 15 minutes a day, just leisure reading on something that links one of your interests and of your subjects, could be enough to develop an interest in the subject. This may be an interesting thing to watch, for example: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IV3dnLzthDA&vl=en

I can help with chemistry and maths (I’m predicted an A* in each and currently awaiting results) if needed (I didn’t do A level biology, so I can’t help with that). So just PM me if you want a question/topic explained to you.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest