The Student Room Group

Will my money arrive on time?

Hi there, I'm due to start uni in September but I've only recently sent off my ID a week ago and my application is still processing.
I've heard it is possible for a maintenance loan to arrive late.
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I'll receive my money on time for September?

Thanks for any help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EngStudent2022
Hi there, I'm due to start uni in September but I've only recently sent off my ID a week ago and my application is still processing.
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I'll receive my money on time for September?

Thanks for any help!

They take about 6 weeks to get it done, but might get it done quicker. It may be a bit late possibly, but you still have quite a bit of time, and the first maintenance loan doesn't come until late Sept normally so I think you should be okay :smile:

Thanks for any help!

It’s possible it’ll arrive late, if you miss the deadline but it’s unlikely to be a big issue, think about all the people who have to re-do all their finance applications after results day & it almost always works out.

But be aware the money won’t be released until after you register in person on campus (and takes a couple days...)
Original post by Wonderland2000
They take about 6 weeks to get it done, but might get it done quicker. It may be a bit late possibly, but you still have quite a bit of time, and the first maintenance loan doesn't come until late Sept normally so I think you should be okay :smile:

Thank you. So regardless of if it is on time or not, will I have to spend my own money on food etc before the loan arrives?

Just so you know, the student finance payment dates depend on universities term structure. My uni, St Andrews, starts earlier than most unis so we get our first payment around the middle of September.

Original post by mnot
It’s possible it’ll arrive late, if you miss the deadline but it’s unlikely to be a big issue, think about all the people who have to re-do all their finance applications after results day & it almost always works out.

But be aware the money won’t be released until after you register in person on campus (and takes a couple days...)

Thank you very much. I certainly hope it all works out. My expired passport isn't helping either 😂
Original post by SuperGirl3231
Just so you know, the student finance payment dates depend on universities term structure. My uni, St Andrews, starts earlier than most unis so we get our first payment around the middle of September.

Thanks. I move in on the 11th September I think so I really hope it all arrives on time.
Thanks. I move in on the 11th September I think so I really hope it all arrives on time.

It won’t arrive until after arrival & registration at the earliest, if your rent is due before you move into accommodation you’ll need to plan for this.
Original post by mnot
It won’t arrive until after arrival & registration at the earliest, if your rent is due before you move into accommodation you’ll need to plan for this.

Thankfully not. It's due mid October but I was concerned about buying food or study essentials when I move in and whether I'll have to pay for those myself if the loan hasn't arrived yet.
Although if the time of the loan's arrival varies between unis I'd like to think that would mean it would arrive before I start living in halls.
Spoiler - you will likely have to pay for some things out of your own money, the loan never goes far enough! Prepare yourself now.
Original post by Apachecow
Spoiler - you will likely have to pay for some things out of your own money, the loan never goes far enough! Prepare yourself now.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll get a part time job.
Thankfully not. It's due mid October but I was concerned about buying food or study essentials when I move in and whether I'll have to pay for those myself if the loan hasn't arrived yet.
Although if the time of the loan's arrival varies between unis I'd like to think that would mean it would arrive before I start living in halls.

You can't get your loan until you've finished registration, which is generally during Freshers week. So you'll need to bring your own money for food for at least the first few days. I think I got my loan in week 1 (week after Freshers week).
As others have said expect to be spending your own money on rent etc. at the very beginning of term.

There's probably some university hardship fund you could apply to in the event of a long delay - but it's not going to be enough to make much of an impact on a rent payment...

PT jobs are likely to pay you monthly so they're not likely to be a quick fix for running out of food/rent money, but will contribute to your annual budget once the wage payments kick in.
Covering the gap between moving in / arrival costs and loan payments is the ideal reason to get a student bank account with an interest free overdraft facility - usually the overdraft gets released if you are able to deposit a few hundred pounds into the account and that will release up to £1000 interest free short term lending.

Just don’t get used to living in your overdraft. It’s there for short term cash flow issues not a permanent debt.

It’s not that it varies between unis, it doesn’t get set until you register in person which happens during freshers week, for example you might arrive Saturday, register Monday or Tuesday then the money gets sent 3-4 days later….

They wont send it unless you’ve registered in person
Original post by mnot
It’s not that it varies between unis, it doesn’t get set until you register in person which happens during freshers week, for example you might arrive Saturday, register Monday or Tuesday then the money gets sent 3-4 days later….

They wont send it unless you’ve registered in person

Good to know. Thanks.
Original post by PQ
Covering the gap between moving in / arrival costs and loan payments is the ideal reason to get a student bank account with an interest free overdraft facility - usually the overdraft gets released if you are able to deposit a few hundred pounds into the account and that will release up to £1000 interest free short term lending.

Just don’t get used to living in your overdraft. It’s there for short term cash flow issues not a permanent debt.

Thanks. I know nothing about student bank accounts. It's definitely something I'll look into getting.
Original post by Joinedup
As others have said expect to be spending your own money on rent etc. at the very beginning of term.

There's probably some university hardship fund you could apply to in the event of a long delay - but it's not going to be enough to make much of an impact on a rent payment...

PT jobs are likely to pay you monthly so they're not likely to be a quick fix for running out of food/rent money, but will contribute to your annual budget once the wage payments kick in.

Thanks. Rent is due in October for me so hopefully it'll have arrived by then.
Original post by Desideri
You can't get your loan until you've finished registration, which is generally during Freshers week. So you'll need to bring your own money for food for at least the first few days. I think I got my loan in week 1 (week after Freshers week).

Right, I didn't know that. Good to know, thanks.
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll get a part time job.

Your parents/carers are meant to top up your loan ...

Quick Reply

Latest