The Student Room Group

Full-time jobs at 16?

Recently I was offered 2 jobs where the employers thought I would be a great fit based on my public CV. The salaries of both jobs are really good and they seem straightforward enough (both part of the retail industry).

However they are both permanent & full-time which could potentially hinder my revision for A-levels since I would need to be working a lot longer in comparison to part-time jobs. Also I haven't even gotten my GCSE results yet so idk if I would be able to work there in the first place.

What should I do? Should I apply for those jobs or should I aim for a part-time job instead?
I would 100% advise you look for a part-time job. If you’re still in full time education, you won’t have time for a full-time job as well and you will get burnt out quickly.

Obviously everyone’s experience will be different, but I struggled with my A levels when I was doing 20hrs a week, so I had to lower my hours.

I’m guessing you have just finished GCSES, so I will tell you that A levels are really full on, so don’t underestimate the work load.

Also, if you are doing full time in retail, I’m guessing they would want you to work in the day time quite often, usually within school time, so it realistically wouldn’t work alongside one another. I work part-time in retail and find it pairs well with college as being part-time allows me to do weekday evening shifts.

I hope this helped you, and I hope your GCSE results go well :smile:
Original post by electroblastz
Recently I was offered 2 jobs where the employers thought I would be a great fit based on my public CV. The salaries of both jobs are really good and they seem straightforward enough (both part of the retail industry).

However they are both permanent & full-time which could potentially hinder my revision for A-levels since I would need to be working a lot longer in comparison to part-time jobs. Also I haven't even gotten my GCSE results yet so idk if I would be able to work there in the first place.

What should I do? Should I apply for those jobs or should I aim for a part-time job instead?

Where did you apply?
Reply 3
don't do it
There are rules on the amount of work you can do I'm not sure how they're planning on fitting your hours around that:
https://www.gov.uk/child-employment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending