Turn on thread page Beta

Global Young Leaders Conference (GYLC) watch

ReputationRep:
    Our head of year nominated me and another girl from my year to go to this, and we've both gotten into it. So we got letters about it with materials about what we'd be doing, and it also said about tuition fees. But we'd been told it was free.
    Has anyone else been nominated like this? It says on the letter that I'm a 'global scholar' and we all assumed it meant scholar as in scholarship, meaning it's free. But scholar can just mean student, so....
    Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    hi wel actually no its not free in the package it tells u the various prices and trust me its not exactly cheap...to go to the U.S is the cheapest but trust me its not a scholoarship based thing u have to pay

ReputationRep:
    hi guys..
    i m koe hui from malaysia..
    i am intresting in gylc..
    but i need somebody to nominate me to participate in gylc..
    so, can anyone willing to nominate me?
    if can, pls msg me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koehui)
    hi guys..
    i m koe hui from malaysia..
    i am intresting in gylc..
    but i need somebody to nominate me to participate in gylc..
    so, can anyone willing to nominate me?
    if can, pls msg me!!
    hey koehui, sorry mate but not anybody can just nominate you. you gotta be nominated by your school. or if you took the SATs and the collegeboard has your name in their database, thats how GYLC might contact you.

dont worry - it's not all it's cracked up to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bemusedcapybara)
    hey koehui, sorry mate but not anybody can just nominate you. you gotta be nominated by your school. or if you took the SATs and the collegeboard has your name in their database, thats how GYLC might contact you.

hi.. thx for ur quote..
    but i got a reply msg from cylc in singapore..
    they told me that i need a gylc mentor or alumni to nominate me..
    but i m from malaysia..
    my school no teacher is mentor..
    so, can u teach me how i need to do if i want to participate?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I received a letter of the same nature. However, I'm quite apprehensive about this whole program. Is it authentic? Is it a scam? is it worth 3000 dollars? Please help.

ReputationRep:
    hey there, I'm from malaysia too.
    i got the letter two days ago.they said they found me through the college board .
    but i wonder whether it's mere a scam.
    i know this program because the China student got the chance to go to President Obama's inauguration through the newspaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kouji)
    hey there, I'm from malaysia too.
    i got the letter two days ago.they said they found me through the college board .
    but i wonder whether it's mere a scam.
    i know this program because the China student got the chance to go to President Obama's inauguration through the newspaper
    wow..
    which state? Johor?
    Are u going to there?
    when?

ReputationRep:
    wow..
    which state? Johor?
    Are u going to there?
    when?
    i'm from penang.
    anyway, i'm not going...
    no $$

and my nomination is like what #4 said "or if you took the SATs and the collegeboard has your name in their database, thats how GYLC might contact you." i took SAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kouji)
    i'm from penang.
    anyway, i'm not going...
    no $$

and my nomination is like what #4 said "or if you took the SATs and the collegeboard has your name in their database, thats how GYLC might contact you." i took SAT
    y?
    u can look for sponsor..
    no$$ is not deproblem mahh!!

ReputationRep:
    y?
    u can look for sponsor..
    no$$ is not deproblem mahh!!
    duuude, koehui, really, relax.
    GYLC is so overrated. in the US, universities all over know that GYLC is basically a knock-off conference for rich spoiled kids. not saying that everyone there is rich or spoiled, but the conference is USELESS. go do something better with your summer - build huts in guatemala or something, universities love that stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm a student from India.I recievd this letter frm GYLC few days back. I was quite excited about the whole thing but all these comments and replies above have confused me to the core.:confused:
    Is it that USELESS? as in, it doesn't help you in admissions? n nothing?!
    I mean, considering the fees it ought to be useful! :yep:
    The letter makes you feel like a scholar and special! :woo:

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bemusedcapybara)

A GYLC alumni (which I am ) can actually nominate other students.

I happened to go to the GYLC in Washington DC / New York. It was indeed a wonderful experience. Made loads of friends and had a great time. Visited great places.

However, for those who want to go...don't go for it if you're expecting serious MUN sort of stuff. And yeah, at times I felt the FAs (Faculty Advisors) were too robotic. Not to mention it doesn't really boost your university application considering it's not a very competitive thing to get into.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Canada, and a couple of my school friends participated last summer. They said it's a lot of fun, but the actual conference/lessons are useless, and that it's easy to skip them altogether. They did, however, love making friends from around the world, and in contact with a lot of the people they met to this day.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you'd be better off doing Model United Nations.

ReputationRep:
    What are you thinking about leading...?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.