The Student Room Group

Conversion - Msc Psychology

I am hoping to do a Msc Psychology Conversion Course from one of the accredited Universities in UK. My questions are;

1. I am 43 years of age with no working experience for the last 16 years. Should I still go ahead and do this course? I would like to study further and get Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and find work.

2. Which is the accredited university in UK?

Thank you for your help.
1. You will need to gain relevant paid experience before being accepted into a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology course. Note that in any one year, there's about a 20% chance of being accepted to any of the Clinical Psychology Doctorate courses to which you apply. So it's quite likely that it'll take you multiple years to gain entry.

2. See the list of accredited conversion courses on the BPS web site, here.

The fact that you've said "in UK" twice makes be think that perhaps your not in the UK. Is that right?

Until recently, the NHS had paid for all the available doctoral training places (i.e. it covered the tuition fees). Not unsurprisingly, they only paid for the training of UK students. As a result, were no places available to foreign students.

However, universities in the UK are opening a small number of training places to international students. If you're an international student, your chances of gaining entry are therefore reduced further as a result of this limit on the number of available spaces.

More details for international students here.
Original post by DataVenia
1. You will need to gain relevant paid experience before being accepted into a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology course. Note that in any one year, there's about a 20% chance of being accepted to any of the Clinical Psychology Doctorate courses to which you apply. So it's quite likely that it'll take you multiple years to gain entry.

2. See the list of accredited conversion courses on the BPS web site, here.

The fact that you've said "in UK" twice makes be think that perhaps your not in the UK. Is that right?

Until recently, the NHS had paid for all the available doctoral training places (i.e. it covered the tuition fees). Not unsurprisingly, they only paid for the training of UK students. As a result, were no places available to foreign students.

However, universities in the UK are opening a small number of training places to international students. If you're an international student, your chances of gaining entry are therefore reduced further as a result of this limit on the number of available spaces.

More details for international students here.

Thank you for responding. I live in Hong Kong and I am able to self find the course.

My biggest concern is that at 43 years of age will I be able to find work after spending so much money on the conversion course?
Hi there,
I've just moved your thread to a more relevant forum :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by ruchebbhave
Thank you for responding. I live in Hong Kong and I am able to self find the course.

My biggest concern is that at 43 years of age will I be able to find work after spending so much money on the conversion course?

After the conversion, you would be eligible to apply for Assistant Psychologist roles, but you would need a good amount of relevant experience to be considered for one of these roles, as they are very competitive. You could apply for roles that don't require a qualification, such as suport worker roles, recovery work etc. but the MSc alone will not be enough to get you into a psychology role. Your age shouldn't make a difference, though, to be honest!

Quick Reply

Latest