The Student Room Group

Threatened at the gym

I went gym today, and there was 2 guys who kept swearing at me and threated to beat me up for looking at them.

I didn't tell the staff, should I tell the staff if they do the same thing next time?

They have to be looking at me, for them to see me looking at them.

I don't understand what their problem is, surely I have to look at something at the gym, and if they are in my eyeline, I can't do anything about it.

Any advice? I am just worried that if I tell the staff, when I leave the gym, they would start beating me.

Scroll to see replies

why were you looking at them?
Reply 2
Wtf!? Tell the gym owner - they'll be ******* banned.
Reply 3
You pussy!!

You should have shoved the bench bar up their ass's and benched them. :biggrin:

:wink: don't worry about it lol, carry going to the gym and hopefully it'll stop happening to you once you've bulked.
Damn, gym are one of the most friendly places IMO, weird...
Reply 5
My solution to that would be to beat both of them up. However, you might not be able to do that. You could tell the owners, or even phone the police.
Reply 6
no seriously people like that shouldn't be in a gym. tell the staff.
If they touch you, get the police involved.
Reply 8
Haha. Dude, you're eye-******* members of the gym unintentionally. I may not have kicked off personally, but I certainly would have said something to you... it's just a little weird when you're deadlifting.
Reply 9
You should always stand up for yourself.. whether you say something too.. or tell someone else..

If you do nothing.. they will do it again.. Most people respect others when they show they are not a pushover..
How old are you AND how old are they (do they look)?
Reply 11
I am 24, not sure how old they are, I think they are over 18
Reply 12
to be honest they sound like trouble makers looking for an excuse to start on someone and iff you 'tell on them' they most likely will pick on you more so either ignore them and hope it stops, bring some lads down and beat them up or find another gym.... hope ignoring works!
they are younger than you?

for **** sake - strap on a pair. (i assume you are male - but perhaps not)
There's some strange people in the gym, with really strange attitudes. Personally I just go there to keep fit and feel healthier/better, no matter what I look like while doing it i.e. I **** myself up and then go home. Some people don't even seem to do a proper workout and are just there to look good, stare at people, strare at their muscles. It's quite pathetic as most of these guys have no athletic fitness whatsoever.
SamTheMan
There's some strange people in the gym, with really strange attitudes. Personally I just go there to keep fit and feel healthier/better, no matter what I look like while doing it i.e. I **** myself up and then go home. Some people don't even seem to do a proper workout and are just there to look good, stare at people, strare at their muscles. It's quite pathetic as most of these guys have no athletic fitness whatsoever.

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head. The fact is gyms have nothing whatsoever do with health and fitness, its quite absurd. In a moment of madness I joined a gym a few years ago and it occured to me that it was a facade to enable people to assert their sexual prowess and youthful vigour.

Actually they are deeply unhealthy on several levels. For a start they are a breeding ground for germs, they are physically dangerous, they create an illusion that people can work on themselves like a project and then when they fail their self esteem drops. Worst of all it isnt even ******* pleasurable.

Instead, walk through fields for hours, eat lots of good food, improve your mind - all are much more long term and beneficial.
But I'm actually a big fan of the gym... (it may not have sounded from the tone of my post). However, I go there for a proper workout to knacker myself so it has to be a mixture of a proper cardio-vascular workout mixed with weights and my goal isn't to "bulk up" or even to look good. The benefit of just feeling healthy and fit is far more worthwhile, to properly knacker yourself out.
Unfortunately all I see in my gym are girls who don't want to break a sweat in case it ruins their makeup/hair or makes their carefully-chosen outfit look rough; and guys who just walk around the weights and every ten minutes might pick up a dumbbell to look good and who in the locker rooms talk about "sculpting their body" :rolleyes: These guys are so flipping unfit that you stick them on the treadmill or erg for 10 minutes and they're dead but of course they just prefer walking around the weights looking at people probably asking themselves if they're more of an alpha-male than you.
Sure they're not always the most hygienic places even if you go to a fairly upmarket one but that's what you have to put up with, I guess.
You can probably get them banned by reporting them to the gym staff, which would be a good idea because if they're being insulting to you they'll probably be insulting to other gym users.

Fortunately I find gyms are reasonably friendly, and if there are ever chavvy types there who would have a go at people, they're almost guaranteed to be bench 'n' curlers which means they won't bother someone who does proper weights like myself :biggrin:

Ironically given that people feel most intimidated by big guys, you usually find that the bigger guys are more friendly because they are serious about what they're doing and they're there to do serious exercise, unlike many who want to show off but have no idea what they're doing.

Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have pretty much hit the nail on the head. The fact is gyms have nothing whatsoever do with health and fitness, its quite absurd. In a moment of madness I joined a gym a few years ago and it occured to me that it was a facade to enable people to assert their sexual prowess and youthful vigour.

Actually they are deeply unhealthy on several levels. For a start they are a breeding ground for germs, they are physically dangerous, they create an illusion that people can work on themselves like a project and then when they fail their self esteem drops. Worst of all it isnt even ******* pleasurable.

Instead, walk through fields for hours, eat lots of good food, improve your mind - all are much more long term and beneficial.

Hardly a balanced perspective on gyms. Gyms have plenty to do with health and fitness - get someone on an effective routine and they'll be plenty fitter than someone who 'walks through fields' as their exercise. Sure you find some posers in the gym, but to be honest if you're focusing on observing others rather than on the exercise you are there to do you're looking at it in totally the wrong way.

A gym is only physically dangerous if someone is using the equipment incorrectly. Cardio machines in a gym model forms of cardio that can be done outside of the gym (rowing, running, cycling) and because they are done in an indoor enviroment they are actually safer. No-one gets run down by a car on an exercise bike, treadmills are better for your feet than road running and you can't catch a crab that will break your ribs (ok, pretty unlikely) on an erg. I still prefer outdoor cardio but this is just from a safety perspective. With correct form, weight training is no more likely to cause injuries than other forms of exercise.

You can work on yourself like a project, if you so desire. If you fail, it's not the fault of the gym. If you're in bad shape, what's wrong with deciding on a level of fitness/strength/looks that you want and aiming for that? As for whether it's pleasurable, that's pretty subjective. I feel really great after I exercise and even though it's hard work I enjoy my time in the gym too, as it is satisfying to know that you're pushing yourself and making progress.
Reply 18
_MaLc_
Haha. Dude, you're eye-******* members of the gym unintentionally. I may not have kicked off personally, but I certainly would have said something to you... it's just a little weird when you're deadlifting.

Thinly veiled: 'I've never been to the gym but act macho on the internet'
Reply 19
Gotta love chavs. So insecure... "wot da f00k arr yoo lookin' aaaa".

Latest

Trending

Trending