The Student Room Group

Polarity

is there a way to see if a molecule is polar or non-polar? or do you just memorise the types of molecules that are polar/non-polar?
I heard you can use elctronegativities of elements to see if they're polar or not, would I have to memorise these values if I want to use this method?

all help is appreciated
thanks!
Original post by fzmannan
is there a way to see if a molecule is polar or non-polar? or do you just memorise the types of molecules that are polar/non-polar?
I heard you can use elctronegativities of elements to see if they're polar or not, would I have to memorise these values if I want to use this method?

all help is appreciated
thanks!

When two atoms have different electronegativity they produce a dipole.
Dipoles are vector quantities with both magnitude and direction.
Consequently, the dipoles in a molecule can be resolved into horizontal and vertical (and depth) components.
If there is an overall dipole after this resolution then the molecule is polar.

Although the above is a rigorous way to find out, it is often easier just to consider the symmetry of a molecule to decide whether or not the individual dipoles cancel out.

Check out: https://www.ibchem.com/IB16/02.32.htm

all help is appreciated
thanks!

Hi there.

In general a large electronegativity difference between atoms = polar molecule and a small electronegativity difference between atoms = non-polar.

Fluorine is the most electronegative element on the periodic table and the elements the closer the element is to F, on the periodic table, the more electronegative it is e.g. N and O are the next more electronegative.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks @charco for the edit :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by triplexa
hi there.

In general a large electronegativity difference between atoms = polar molecule and a small electronegativity difference between atoms = non-polar.

Flourine is the most electronegative element on the periodic table and the elements the closer the element is to f, on the periodic table, the more electronegative it is e.g. N and o are the next more electronegative.

f l u o r i n e
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Fluorine is the most electronegative element on the periodic table and the elements the closer the element is to F, on the periodic table, the more electronegative it is e.g. N and O are the next more electronegative.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks @charco for the edit :biggrin:

Sorry, but it's one of my phobias.

My MSc dissertation was about hexafluorotitanium(IV) compounds. While driving a bunch of copies to the University on deadline day I noticed glancing at the pile that the bookbinder has spelled the title FLOURO, and I nearly had a heart attack.
I had to drive back to the bookbinder and get him to lift the gold-leaf letters and correct all the books. I made the deadline, but one by the skin of my teeth...

all help is appreciated
thanks!

You can use electronegativities to predict polarity. The more electronegative element will be the δ- part of the dipole and the less electronegative element will be the δ+ part.

You can make a reasonable guess as to which elements are more electronegative. Typically, electronegativity increases along a period and decreases down a group. You can then use the positions of the elements on the periodic table to make your guesses. Note that fluorine is the most electronegative element, thus it is always δ- in a polar covalent bond.

As for the shapes of molecules, these can affect the overall polarity of the molecule. If the dipoles all face opposite directions, then the polarity cancels. A good example of this is carbon dioxide, which is linear. You can try drawing a 3D diagram of the molecule to make your prediction.
Original post by charco
Sorry, but it's one of my phobias.

My MSc dissertation was about hexafluorotitanium(IV) compounds. While driving a bunch of copies to the University on deadline day I noticed glancing at the pile that the bookbinder has spelled the title FLOURO, and I nearly had a heart attack.
I had to drive back to the bookbinder and get him to lift the gold-leaf letters and correct all the books. I made the deadline, but one by the skin of my teeth...

Don't apologise - I will double check my element spellings before posting. On this occasion I was rushing typing so made the fatal error. :biggrin:

That sounds painful but I'm glad you made the deadline! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest