The Student Room Group

year 10 going into year 11

i have aspirations to achieve all 9s at gcse and thats the standard for my parents so i kinda have to ..
here are my y10 mock results which were capped at an 8 .
how can i improve?

maths - 89%/ (99/111) (grade 7) - an 8 was 95% mainly silly mistakes but paper was easy

eng lit - 27/34 ( grade 7 )inspector calls, i did character lol lazy

eng lang - 61/80 ( grade 8) normally get higher on creative writing, but i copied my old piece from mind so

computing - 80%, 64/80 ( grade 8) ehh did rev night before

german - 67% (grade 7) couldve gotten higher on writing

chemistry - 81% 67/83,( grade 8) some qa was cut as school messed up

biology- 78/100 ( grade 8)

physics- 71/100 ( grade 8)

history- 70% ( grade 7) this paper was only health and people, three 8 markers and didnt have enough time for final 16m
Original post by oikawa-
i have aspirations to achieve all 9s at gcse and thats the standard for my parents so i kinda have to ..
here are my y10 mock results which were capped at an 8 .
how can i improve?

maths - 89%/ (99/111) (grade 7) - an 8 was 95% mainly silly mistakes but paper was easy

eng lit - 27/34 ( grade 7 )inspector calls, i did character lol lazy

eng lang - 61/80 ( grade 8) normally get higher on creative writing, but i copied my old piece from mind so

computing - 80%, 64/80 ( grade 8) ehh did rev night before

german - 67% (grade 7) couldve gotten higher on writing

chemistry - 81% 67/83,( grade 8) some qa was cut as school messed up

biology- 78/100 ( grade 8)

physics- 71/100 ( grade 8)

history- 70% ( grade 7) this paper was only health and people, three 8 markers and didnt have enough time for final 16m

Now these grade boundaries seem very high in my opinion but here we go!

Maths - spaced practice questions. Keep doing those practice questions - they help you consolidate working out and get a hang of the questions - challenge yourself!

English Lit - Quote explosions, doing some past paper essays and asking your teacher to mark them.

English Language - look at creative writing skills and complete some past papers and ask your teacher to mark them and give feedback - helps guide your revision.

Computing - I didn’t do computing so I wouldn’t know.

German - You mentioned writing so.. 90 word - use 3 high level opinion phrases and 3 high level connectives and 3 tenses. 150 word - 2 justified opinions, topic specific vocab, 3 tenses and make sure what your writing is relevant (they dock marks for that) and accurate.

Chemistry - past papers will do the trick. Exam boards never have much to ask so it would be repetitive. Memorise required practicals.

Same for Biology and Physics.

History - do the long answer first then do the shorter answers. You would rather lose 8 marks than 16 right?

Let me know if you need more guided advice as this is very general.
Reply 2
Original post by JA03
Now these grade boundaries seem very high in my opinion but here we go!

Maths - spaced practice questions. Keep doing those practice questions - they help you consolidate working out and get a hang of the questions - challenge yourself!

English Lit - Quote explosions, doing some past paper essays and asking your teacher to mark them.

English Language - look at creative writing skills and complete some past papers and ask your teacher to mark them and give feedback - helps guide your revision.

Computing - I didn’t do computing so I wouldn’t know.

German - You mentioned writing so.. 90 word - use 3 high level opinion phrases and 3 high level connectives and 3 tenses. 150 word - 2 justified opinions, topic specific vocab, 3 tenses and make sure what your writing is relevant (they dock marks for that) and accurate.

Chemistry - past papers will do the trick. Exam boards never have much to ask so it would be repetitive. Memorise required practicals.

Same for Biology and Physics.

History - do the long answer first then do the shorter answers. You would rather lose 8 marks than 16 right?

Let me know if you need more guided advice as this is very general.

wow thank you! and yea haha maths grade boundaries are notorious at my school last year they were 98%

wondering if you had advice on poetry and how to write nicely for it? havent had a common assessment on it yet and kinda confused on how you can structure it to fit 2 pages and not waffle..

dk if you implied you took history, but what would be your best tip at structuring a good answer? in y7-9 i was pretty decent at history and could easily score 80 with no revision but in y10 and actually trying i waste a lot of time thinking and my answers kind of being stringy...
this sounds like a me problem, but how would you structure a logical answer if you think thats good? we probably do diff his courses
Original post by oikawa-
wow thank you! and yea haha maths grade boundaries are notorious at my school last year they were 98%

wondering if you had advice on poetry and how to write nicely for it? havent had a common assessment on it yet and kinda confused on how you can structure it to fit 2 pages and not waffle..

dk if you implied you took history, but what would be your best tip at structuring a good answer? in y7-9 i was pretty decent at history and could easily score 80 with no revision but in y10 and actually trying i waste a lot of time thinking and my answers kind of being stringy...
this sounds like a me problem, but how would you structure a logical answer if you think thats good? we probably do diff his courses

I didn’t do poetry as I did my GCSEs last year and I only did Unseen poetry and we did barely anything so I may not be able to help you with that.

I didn’t do history as I did geography instead (My Y9 History teacher put me off it) and I still take Geography for A-Level so structures aren’t the same. I can ask my sister or look through the exercise book my friend gave me (as she (somehow) easily got an 8 on it).

I’m more about exam structure - you’re overreacting about your answers as you don’t seem to think you put in enough information. My teachers say, if you can’t remember something or can’t explain it - don’t write it down - it can dock marks off.

I focus more on how I can maximise the time I am given in an exam. I do the long questions first because they’re worth more marks and I get hand cramps really easily. Also, start timing yourself at 1 mark per minute, this will help your time management and allow you to look over anything you may not have added.

For the history structuring, I didn’t do history however I do have my friend’s history exercise book which has structures in so remind me to post them on your thread.
Reply 4
Original post by JA03
I didn’t do poetry as I did my GCSEs last year and I only did Unseen poetry and we did barely anything so I may not be able to help you with that.

I didn’t do history as I did geography instead (My Y9 History teacher put me off it) and I still take Geography for A-Level so structures aren’t the same. I can ask my sister or look through the exercise book my friend gave me (as she (somehow) easily got an 8 on it).

I’m more about exam structure - you’re overreacting about your answers as you don’t seem to think you put in enough information. My teachers say, if you can’t remember something or can’t explain it - don’t write it down - it can dock marks off.

I focus more on how I can maximise the time I am given in an exam. I do the long questions first because they’re worth more marks and I get hand cramps really easily. Also, start timing yourself at 1 mark per minute, this will help your time management and allow you to look over anything you may not have added.

For the history structuring, I didn’t do history however I do have my friend’s history exercise book which has structures in so remind me to post them on your thread

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest