The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Lawsuit against university?

TW: explicit content

I just finished my degree at a very prestigious university.

I had serious mitigating circumstances during my degree, which included rape, sexual and physical assault, sickness, family deaths and so on.

Not one of my mitigating circumstances was taken into account even though they should have. The university made me write what it felt like to be raped and how it affected my grades on my request to appeal to adjust certain grades, then dismissed me and said I could not appeal as they made a mistake. They made me wait three weeks and rewrite the statement seven times before informing me.

They asked me to remove names of famous professors involved in misconduct, and blackmailed me on various occasions. They almost left me to die of an heart attack when I had an event from a physical disability I suffer from.

Do I have grounds for a no win no fee lawsuit or is it better to go through OIA?

I performed very well during the final exams, but three assessment before the final exams sat under duress brought down my average significantly.
Do I have grounds for a no win no fee lawsuit or is it better to go through OIA? - which company is going to be for you and which company will be for the university. If that gives you the indication yo for whichever. I suspect a law firm will review your case and if they feel the case can win then take it on so there's nothing stopping you from contacting the no win no fee law firms then if you change your mind opt for OIA.

IF you have all the evidence I'd be suing them from what you have written.
Reply 2
If this is true, I'd be tempted to take it to the police.
Original post by gjd800
If this is true, I'd be tempted to take it to the police.

It is. The University said all mitigating circumstances are a matter of academic judgement and hence can never be questioned by anyone as well.
You can report it to the Office for Students, however I would take this to the Police, presuming that what you are saying is true.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
You can report it to the Office for Students, however I would take this to the Police, presuming that what you are saying is true.

It is, and I have all the evidence. However what would reporting this to the police achieve?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
It is. The University said all mitigating circumstances are a matter of academic judgement and hence can never be questioned by anyone as well.

My point is that being 'blackmailed' by the university is not a matter of academic judgement, it is a criminal offence.
Original post by gjd800
My point is that being 'blackmailed' by the university is not a matter of academic judgement, it is a criminal offence.

I agree. That is what I told them when I first called my lawyer to ask for advice.

The issue is that it went on for months, and it spilled onto the exam board which was biased (the same people involved in the blackmail were on the board). It went on from explicit blackmail to more subtle blackmail (all in writing).
Since this is a very prestigious place it has been almost impossible to get any action against them. I think only a really good solicitor here could do anything.
I agree. That is what I told them when I first called my lawyer to ask for advice.

The issue is that it went on for months, and it spilled onto the exam board which was biased (the same people involved in the blackmail were on the board). It went on from explicit blackmail to more subtle blackmail (all in writing).
Since this is a very prestigious place it has been almost impossible to get any action against them. I think only a really good solicitor here could do anything.

What did the Police do about the rape?

I had serious mitigating circumstances during my degree, which included rape, sexual and physical assault, sickness, family deaths and so on.

Not one of my mitigating circumstances was taken into account even though they should have. The university made me write what it felt like to be raped and how it affected my grades on my request to appeal to adjust certain grades, then dismissed me and said I could not appeal as they made a mistake. They made me wait three weeks and rewrite the statement seven times before informing me.

They asked me to remove names of famous professors involved in misconduct, and blackmailed me on various occasions. They almost left me to die of an heart attack when I had an event from a physical disability I suffer from.

Do I have grounds for a no win no fee lawsuit or is it better to go through OIA?

I performed very well during the final exams, but three assessment before the final exams sat under duress brought down my average significantly.

I currently have an outstanding case with the OIA regarding extenuating circumstances. My experience of the OIA is that they are biased towards the university and are not independent. However, if you involve a solicitor the OIA will not take on your complaint. The process is that you must first go through the OIA and if you disagree with their decision and recomendation you then seek a Judicial Review.
Your case appears sound but be ready for a battle with the OIA and the university. Good luck.
This is a very serious situation. Forget about the OIA, they are useless and not appropriate. Go to the police and contact a solicitor.

This does not seem right. Have you looked at the university regulations? Have the university accepted your mitigating circumstances? Do you have any doctor/medical evidence to back up your mitigating circumstances?

Mitigating circumstances are not a matter for academic judgement.
Original post by cj900
This is a very serious situation. Forget about the OIA, they are useless and not appropriate. Go to the police and contact a solicitor.

I agree. The OIA are useless and also not independent and biased against the student.
Original post by suellen64
I agree. The OIA are useless and also not independent and biased against the student.

Omg I hope not. I have submitted my OIA complaint. Hoping for a good response. I’m so scared.
Does the OP have an update?
Reply 16
Op is probably depressed and lost somewhere whilst the perpetrator are roaming free looking for new victim. Sad as ****.

We need a real system that looks after student.
Reply 17
Original post by medmed123

I fully agree. The OIA is useless.
Did you get a response from them?

Also would you suggest taking OIA to JR or university to court?