The Student Room Group

England beats Germany!! Women's Euro Final discussion

Scroll to see replies

I watched it from about 70mins onwards. I would’ve liked to see it from the start but was at Old Trafford for a pre season friendly.

I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve seen of the woman’s games this summer and especially today. Brilliant moment for the whole country to FINALLY win a major international football tournament 😃🎉
Original post by IanDangerously
I watched it from about 70mins onwards. I would’ve liked to see it from the start but was at Old Trafford for a pre season friendly.

I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve seen of the woman’s games this summer and especially today. Brilliant moment for the whole country to FINALLY win a major international football tournament 😃🎉

The first half was mostly the referee making some questionable choices and all the players trying to figure out how they could win fouls against the others.
honestly didn't think anyone on tsr was watching the tournament considering i have been commentating on lptphw for weeks and i know it's always watched like a hawk!!! maybe my commentary was boring. sorry
england is a track team that so happens to have a ball. germany isn't nearly as fast at running but when they are near the net they use their entire body to push it in. heads, heels, their first born child
I'm a neutral and nothing annoyed me more when England were hugging the ball at the corners towards the end. Fully deserved win nonetheless, Germany put up an excellent fight.
Original post by 04MR17
Updated your title :colondollar:
:woohoo:
:party2:

Me too: I changed the verb a little bit by an 's'.

Original post by RichPiana
Perhaps they can teach the men a thing or two on how to hold onto a lead in a European final at Wembley.

First thing: don't begin to play too defensive when the own time is in the lead pretty soon in the match - check!
Second thing: score another goal when the opponent team equalized the lead to prevent a penalty shootout - check!
means a lot
It got tense at the end and was I relieved when it was over. England have played great all tournament and they deserved it.

What I haven't liked today is commentators calling this "the end of the 56-year wait" and grouping England men and women. They don't need to do this - women's football is growing in England every year. Men's football and women's football are two different things and trying to group them is only going to lead to hate and the standard "men and better than women" drone.
(edited 1 year ago)
The girls brought it home for us! 🏆
that's great
Superb. In the words of the team captain, it makes you proud to be English, 😁👍
Original post by Genesiss
honestly didn't think anyone on tsr was watching the tournament considering i have been commentating on lptphw for weeks and i know it's always watched like a hawk!!! maybe my commentary was boring. sorry

Dw i have been seeing your commentary :lol:
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
I'm a neutral and nothing annoyed me more when England were hugging the ball at the corners towards the end. Fully deserved win nonetheless, Germany put up an excellent fight.

i fully agree, i'm england all the way and i'm super happy the football came home but the way they played for the last ten or fifteen minutes was excruciatingly painful to watch!
No surprise that the final was tense. England were probably the form team of the tournament but Germany had way more experience. Probably hurt Germany to lose their top scorer.

The England winner was scrappy but the other two goals in the final were good.
It is shameful and embarrassing that UK media (even the BBC) completely ignored the blatant handball in the England penalty box, which should have led to a German penalty. They all ignored it in their printed copies, but plenty reported it online in a very patronising manner
Original post by Hivemind123
It is shameful and embarrassing that UK media (even the BBC) completely ignored the blatant handball in the England penalty box, which should have led to a German penalty. They all ignored it in their printed copies, but plenty reported it online in a very patronising manner

What do you expect the German media would probably do the same.

Some of the reporting from the media has been one of the worst I’ve ever seen in my life. ITV News correctly reported that the attendance of the final was 87,000 which was a record, and then said compared to the men’s final in 2021 which “only” had an attendance of around 60,000. They failed to report that the capacity was capped to around 2/3 of the stadium because of Covid.

It’s a joke, that reporter was a senior reporter for ITV, must be reprimanded immediately. I have never seen anything like that before like what I saw from ITV. If I did something like that and submitted it to my editor when I used to write articles a few years ago, I would have received a stern warning.

Original post by Zerforax
No surprise that the final was tense. England were probably the form team of the tournament but Germany had way more experience. Probably hurt Germany to lose their top scorer.

The England winner was scrappy but the other two goals in the final were good.

The first goal was a great goal from England. Germany definitely missed their main striker Popp.

Original post by franklyfruity
i fully agree, i'm england all the way and i'm super happy the football came home but the way they played for the last ten or fifteen minutes was excruciatingly painful to watch!

A final is a final, it doesn’t matter how you play as long as you win.

Original post by Notnek
It got tense at the end and was I relieved when it was over. England have played great all tournament and they deserved it.

What I haven't liked today is commentators calling this "the end of the 56-year wait" and grouping England men and women. They don't need to do this - women's football is growing in England every year. Men's football and women's football are two different things and trying to group them is only going to lead to hate and the standard "men and better than women" drone.

Read the beginning of the post and I could add your paragraph to it as another example. They could have labelled it as the first major national tournament the women’s team ever won, or even the first Euros won by an English senior team.

They have done similar with top goal scorer. They said Ellen White needs 1 more goal to beat Wayne Rooney’s record as England’s record goal scorer. It is incredible. She is already the record goal scorer for the team she is eligible to play for. I thought people didn’t want males participating in female sports and vice-verca.

Now shall we say instead of the Chelsea men’s team haven’t won the English title since 2016/17, that Chelsea have won it 3 years consecutively ?

Original post by Genesiss

I think a lot of people watched but didn’t reply / see your posts. There are also a major group of people who only watched the final and not any of the games before that, and then jumped on the bandwagon at the end and posted it on social media…

Original post by IanDangerously

A great achievement and they didn’t concede many goals either. Best performance would have to be the 8-0 victory over Norway.

Still shows though it has some way to go as if the men’s team were in the final you wouldn’t have people watching a pre-season friendly over that if you know what I mean mate
Original post by Driving_Mad
What do you expect the German media would probably do the same.

Some of the reporting from the media has been one of the worst I’ve ever seen in my life. ITV News correctly reported that the attendance of the final was 87,000 which was a record, and then said compared to the men’s final in 2021 which “only” had an attendance of around 60,000. They failed to report that the capacity was capped to around 2/3 of the stadium because of Covid.

It’s a joke, that reporter was a senior reporter for ITV, must be reprimanded immediately. I have never seen anything like that before like what I saw from ITV. If I did something like that and submitted it to my editor when I used to write articles a few years ago, I would have received a stern warning.

The first goal was a great goal from England. Germany definitely missed their main striker Popp.

A final is a final, it doesn’t matter how you play as long as you win.

Read the beginning of the post and I could add your paragraph to it as another example. They could have labelled it as the first major national tournament the women’s team ever won, or even the first Euros won by an English senior team.

They have done similar with top goal scorer. They said Ellen White needs 1 more goal to beat Wayne Rooney’s record as England’s record goal scorer. It is incredible. She is already the record goal scorer for the team she is eligible to play for. I thought people didn’t want males participating in female sports and vice-verca.

Now shall we say instead of the Chelsea men’s team haven’t won the English title since 2016/17, that Chelsea have won it 3 years consecutively ?

I think a lot of people watched but didn’t reply / see your posts. There are also a major group of people who only watched the final and not any of the games before that, and then jumped on the bandwagon at the end and posted it on social media…

A great achievement and they didn’t concede many goals either. Best performance would have to be the 8-0 victory over Norway.

Still shows though it has some way to go as if the men’s team were in the final you wouldn’t have people watching a pre-season friendly over that if you know what I mean mate

I can’t imagine that any club would ever schedule a friendly against the mens Euros final in the first place regardless of who got to the final. Women’s football definitely still has a way to go but it’s getting there.

They were giving score updates from the final on the scoreboards and the pubs around the ground filled up after the game to watch the rest of it. The last time England’s women got to the final I don’t remember it really being a thing that every casual football fan was massively aware of and talking about at mens games!

Quick Reply

Latest