The Student Room Group

A Level Spanish Speaking Exam

Hi! I’m doing my Spanish oral exam soon and would just like any tips? Also could someone explain the individual rea search project and how that will work out and be presented in the exam? How do I prepare for this exam and does anyone have any ideas of things to talk about to ensure I get an A?
Original post by Gera1dine
Hi! I’m doing my Spanish oral exam soon and would just like any tips? Also could someone explain the individual rea search project and how that will work out and be presented in the exam? How do I prepare for this exam and does anyone have any ideas of things to talk about to ensure I get an A?

Hello! I've just finished my A Levels, one of them being in Spanish!

In terms of the IRP I'd say don't worry about it too much (because you'll most likely start preparing for it from Christmas onwards) It does count as part of your actual speaking exam (the exact percentage depends on the exam board I think, I did AQA and it was about 15% of my grade) So it needs to be good. For now, maybe brainstorm some things you're interested in- you need to ensure that you'll have good research resources AND that it's relevant to a Spanish speaking country. I did mine on the Islamic Golden Age mainly for two reasons:
1) I'm Muslim myself and this era in History has always interested me since I was a child
2) It was a time in history that had a lot of influence in Spanish culture, especially Andalusia (or Al-Andalus as it was called once many years ago)

Here's a useful resource for doing the IRP if it helps: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/languages/AQA-MFL-ALEVEL-TG-IRP.PDF
Your Spanish teacher will be able to guide you during your IRP and they will ensure that it's to the best quality. However, what they're not allowed to do is to correct your mistakes, only point out things that you may need to amend/fix.

For speaking in general, I found it really helpful to practice with my classmates over voice call/outside of class with speaking cards that you can get from the exam board website. I also liked to record myself speaking Spanish and listening it back to see what mistakes I made to remember for next time.

I hope this helps and good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hyacinth77
Hello! I've just finished my A Levels, one of them being in Spanish!

In terms of the IRP I'd say don't worry about it too much (because you'll most likely start preparing for it from Christmas onwards) It does count as part of your actual speaking exam (the exact percentage depends on the exam board I think, I did AQA and it was about 15% of my grade) So it needs to be good. For now, maybe brainstorm some things you're interested in- you need to ensure that you'll have good research resources AND that it's relevant to a Spanish speaking country. I did mine on the Islamic Golden Age mainly for two reasons:
1) I'm Muslim myself and this era in History has always interested me since I was a child
2) It was a time in history that had a lot of influence in Spanish culture, especially Andalusia (or Al-Andalus as it was called once many years ago)

Here's a useful resource for doing the IRP if it helps: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/languages/AQA-MFL-ALEVEL-TG-IRP.PDF
Your Spanish teacher will be able to guide you during your IRP and they will ensure that it's to the best quality. However, what they're not allowed to do is to correct your mistakes, only point out things that you may need to amend/fix.

For speaking in general, I found it really helpful to practice with my classmates over voice call/outside of class with speaking cards that you can get from the exam board website. I also liked to record myself speaking Spanish and listening it back to see what mistakes I made to remember for next time.

I hope this helps and good luck with everything :smile:

This is so helpful awh thanks so much 🫶
Original post by Gera1dine
This is so helpful awh thanks so much 🫶

You're very welcome <3
What´s the best way to answer an opinions question on the oral card?? I´m on the AQA specification so there´s always going to be a q asking my opinion, but I really struggle with finding a way to word my response and i also don´t really have an opinion on any of it. Any advice??
Original post by AbbyClairo
What´s the best way to answer an opinions question on the oral card?? I´m on the AQA specification so there´s always going to be a q asking my opinion, but I really struggle with finding a way to word my response and i also don´t really have an opinion on any of it. Any advice??

Well, before answering an opinion question, it'd be good to try and gauge what your opinions are about the themes you've covered thus far. I can understand why it can be hard especially as you probably haven't had the chance to discuss such topics, especially in another language. To help myself with this I'd talk to my two other classmates about what we were covering in class (it helped that we were pretty good friends, and would usually talk during lunch or on the group chat we still have to this day). Read articles on the matter from newspapers such as El Pais in the original Spanish. Maybe ask more questions in class if you don't already. It was always super nice to hear from my teachers as in Year 13 especially they were both from Spain and grew up there so they could provide some more background into why Spainards or the Latin American population may think a certain way about Catholicism for example.

Definately learn more sentence starters with more nuance- instead of saying "Pienso que/Creo que" you could replace that with "Desde mi punto de vista" or "En mi perspectiva". I feel like it just makes it more clear that this is your personal opinion on the question, plus it sounds a bit more sophsticated.

I do hope this helped just a little :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending