The Student Room Group

Currently struggling with employment

I'm really fed up of my current job around university - I've worked their for 5 years now (a supermarket) before I began my course. It's really now getting to me mentally, and I feel like I'm at breaking point. I

I've been looking for internship opportunities and had no success so far - I did find one job that I was interviewed for but the hours wouldn't suit me for University and my final year.

Any advice, my MH really has deteriorated now. My colleagues notice this when I'm on shift I'm not like my former self.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm really fed up of my current job around university - I've worked their for 5 years now (a supermarket) before I began my course. It's really now getting to me mentally, and I feel like I'm at breaking point. I

I've been looking for internship opportunities and had no success so far - I did find one job that I was interviewed for but the hours wouldn't suit me for University and my final year.

Any advice, my MH really has deteriorated now. My colleagues notice this when I'm on shift I'm not like my former self.

I feel the same right now! 15 years (supermarket also) and I feel physically sick when I go to work. I am doing Open Uni so I can study around my job but I am desperate for a new one. I've applied for a few that I may be suitable for but as usual, have heard nothing back.

Hopefully things will work out for you :smile:
Original post by mrcactus
I feel the same right now! 15 years (supermarket also) and I feel physically sick when I go to work. I am doing Open Uni so I can study around my job but I am desperate for a new one. I've applied for a few that I may be suitable for but as usual, have heard nothing back.

Hopefully things will work out for you :smile:

I just want a break like an internship or something different. But feel like i'm not good enough for it :frown:
I just want a break like an internship or something different. But feel like i'm not good enough for it :frown:

I feel you, I really do. I feel like I'm good at the job I'm in and do lots more than most there but am never appreciated for it but I guess we're all just a number at the end of the day
Original post by mrcactus
I feel you, I really do. I feel like I'm good at the job I'm in and do lots more than most there but am never appreciated for it but I guess we're all just a number at the end of the day

Yes it’s one of the reasons I’m unhappy among other things. I’m really sick of it and everything atm.
Reply 5

Just an offer but me and my cousin are looking for staff. Work is getting a bit stressful with just 2 of us so we're looking for people. I can speak to him but we have some social media admin stuff that needs doing so can be done online. Let me know about stuff information about you if interested just like things good about you, skills, work experience etc. It will be certain tasks like social media admin stuff which can be done from home, like that first then we'll see how you work and move you up gradually.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hello,

I understand that it can be really hard looking for work, especially when you're struggling mentally.

Have you tried looking at your universities' or SU's jobs and opportunities information? Or Careers service? We also have lots of information on navigating the job hunt on Student Space which you might find helpful.

I personally find how to practice self-care during your job helpful. The four tips are:

Quality, not quantity

Set realistic targets

Maintain a routine

Coping with rejection

Hope this helps.

- Grace (Student Minds)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest