The Student Room Group

Going into year 11 next year

Could anyone give me any advice about what they did in the summer before year 11? I’m aiming for all 9s if I can and I’m not sure how much revision I should do before I start the year. Inevitably I will do some but I wanted to ask how much revision (and what kind) the people who aimed for the same kind grades did. Thanks 🙂
Now is the time to get your folders sorted. Do you have all the exams specifications? Have you got copies of past papers with marking schemes. Have you tried all the questions from topics that you have completed in yr 10 - don't expect to go back over last year's material much.
Reply 2
Original post by otumbika
Could anyone give me any advice about what they did in the summer before year 11? I’m aiming for all 9s if I can and I’m not sure how much revision I should do before I start the year. Inevitably I will do some but I wanted to ask how much revision (and what kind) the people who aimed for the same kind grades did. Thanks 🙂

I’m also going into Year 11 so I don’t know if it’ll be much help, but I do have some advice.

General advice: make as much revision material before it’s too late. Make them for every topic in each subject. Flash cards, practice questions etc. That way, next year will be much easier for you when it comes to revision. Go over ALL the content if you can for every subject this summer, so when you go back to school you won’t be lost when they’re teaching it as you’re already familiar to the content.

SCIENCE:

- Revise topics that you struggle with
- Print out loads of practice papers, sometimes the exams boards tend to copy the questions they use in new papers
- For websites, I recommend: cognito, savemyexams, freesciencelessons on YT, physicsandmathstutor

MATHS:

- def use maths genie, has videos for every topic grades 9-1
- cognito
- past papers / practice

too lazy to do the rest of the subjects but u get the gist 👌
Original post by ramieie
I’m also going into Year 11 so I don’t know if it’ll be much help, but I do have some advice.

General advice: make as much revision material before it’s too late. Make them for every topic in each subject. Flash cards, practice questions etc. That way, next year will be much easier for you when it comes to revision. Go over ALL the content if you can for every subject this summer, so when you go back to school you won’t be lost when they’re teaching it as you’re already familiar to the content.

SCIENCE:

- Revise topics that you struggle with
- Print out loads of practice papers, sometimes the exams boards tend to copy the questions they use in new papers
- For websites, I recommend: cognito, savemyexams, freesciencelessons on YT, physicsandmathstutor

MATHS:

- def use maths genie, has videos for every topic grades 9-1
- cognito
- past papers / practice

too lazy to do the rest of the subjects but u get the gist 👌

Thanks I definitely will! Good luck next year too 🙂
Just do some puzzles, crosswords, sodokus etc.

You just need something to keep your brain ticking over to allow your mind to settle into September easier than it would have done otherwise. Don't spend too long on studying through the summer. Just get yourself into good eating and sleeping habits and make sure your body is in a routine for September. Getting this background stuff right is more important than any revision you do right now. :wink:
You probably haven't finished learning all the content so don't forget you'll need to focus on that in yr 11. Over the summer, try and get the information sorted (course details etc) and work on getting yourself into a rhythm and schedule. Maybe start making a timetable but leave it flexible.

If you wanted to do more work, sort out revision material/more concise notes for the content you've already covered. You'll be wanting to spend your time on the new content not the old stuff - so cover that stuff whilst you've got the time.
Original post by otumbika

Heya! I would recommend just slowly getting ready for now e.g. get folders, start planning out your days/months, make sure you know where to find free resources e.g. Study Mind and much more! You could also look over the new material to see what you will be doing and look at the past papers :smile: Understand different revision techniques and see which ones suit you.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest