The Student Room Group

Is a 17 year old an adult or a child

I’m 17 and in full time education as well as working a part time job. I still live at home and am very close with my family. I help out around the house when I am asked or when I offer. I thought I was doing fine but I’ve seen a lot of people saying that 17 is an adult and should be independent and I kind of feel like I’m a failure because I am still very close to my family and need them very much emotionally.
Reply 1
Would you consider a 17 year old an adult?
Reply 2
Legally no, in terms of maturity, maybe. Technically a young adult.
Give me a year to ponder over it.
In the UK, if you are under 18 you are a child legally
You are legally not an adult until you turn 18. Living at home and being close to your family is completely normal, and most people live with their parents well into their twenties. You are already fairly independent by working a part-time job, and more independence will come as you get older and start driving, paying your own bills and eventually moving into your own place. There's a cost of living crisis and too much pressure on young people to grow up quickly. Enjoy being young, you are doing fine for your age.
Original post by Soph2005

year by year you'll understand that you weren't mature the previous year
don't rush to be mature, to enter to uni and to be an adult
enjoy this part of your life bc adults wish they're teenagers
Original post by Soph2005

Legally you're an adult once you're 18. But it varies from person to person, some develop maturity and self responsibilities at a young age, whilst others at a later age.
Not in the uk.
Legal adulthood starts at 18.
Depends but legally nope (at least in the UK).
Original post by John Matta3
year by year you'll understand that you weren't mature the previous year
don't rush to be mature, to enter to uni and to be an adult
enjoy this part of your life bc adults wish they're teenagers

Literally hit the nail on the head with those three lines!

Also, I started working in a supermarket when I left school at 16. Didn't do A-levels and achieved poor GCSE grades so thought I would just get a job to start earning my own money. Fast forward and I'm now 31 years old and still in the same job on minimum wage! Enjoy your younger years because I would do anything to go back.

Save some money as well, just a little bit and let it mount up over the next few years. All this [similar] advice on here was given to me at your age and I didn't listen to any of it.

I was advised to study hard in school, I didn't.
Save just a bit of money each month until I'm older, I didn't

Still in the same job and still living at home with my parents and can't afford to move out on my own, let alone get a mortgage for my own place. Enjoy your younger years and have fun, but also be smart at the same time :h:
A young adult.
17 = Adolescent

Others have given the legal definitions. At 17 I would encourage you to have some more independence from parents. How long have you ever spent away from them? Have they given you responsibility for anything? Have you cooked them a meal? Do you have freedom to go out?

Are there other trusted people around you that you could also use for emotional support to lessen the dependence on parents/siblings?

Just some things to think about.
18 is considered an adult in the UK. And no need to feel like a failure. I’m reaching my mid 20’s and still live at home and super close to both my parents. Everyone is different. Don’t compare yourself to others, we all mature at different ages.

Ps don’t rush to mature or become an adult… it’s no fun 😂
Omygosh I know some people who are legally adults but have far less maturity than a little kid! And there are teens who think and act more responsibly. "Adult," to me, is the difference between knowledge and experience. Even bad experience can offer wisdom if we make right use of it.
At 17 I definitely felt like an adult, I even lived on my own at that age and paid bills and tax and all that fun stuff, but now I’m 21, 17 is definitely still a child. You’ve got so many years to be an adult there’s absolutely nothing wrong with still needing your parents, you’ll honestly never stop needing them. Don’t let other people try and make you “grow up” quicker, enjoy being a kid cus it doesn’t last long.
Young adult
Most 17 yr olds don’t live independently. I’m 20 and I live with my grandparents. And to answer the question, no, I personally wouldn’t consider a 17 yr old as an adult.
Legally no, in terms of maturity, not in 99.99% of cases.

Quick Reply

Latest