Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm so annoyed. I applied at McDonalds a month ago and they didn't even get back to me, I got rejected from Pets at Home and I've just got rejected from HMV in the games section.

I need the experience more than I need the money as I've never had a job before. Every job I look at wants experience even if it's just working on a till?!

I was perfect for that HMV job as I know a lot about games and how hard can it be to work a till?

I have qualifications under my belt plus a load of extra cirricular stuff. Gahhh! This is really knocking my confidence :mad:

I give up. At least I'll have the extra time to study.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i dont think people really look that much at qualifications etc as long as you average. They care more about what you are like as a person, how confident youare, how well you speak to people etc etc.

Lots goes on interview for unskilled part time jobs i think.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, when I applyed for part time work at tesco they didnt even ask me for any qualifications.
    Its all on the interview and what you come across like

Just keep trying and dont give up, with the economic state at the moment a lot of companies aren't hiring anymore. My store is so understaffed yet they refuse to hire a single person due to the recession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    to be honest i dont think people really look that much at qualifications etc as long as you average. They care more about what you are like as a person, how confident youare, how well you speak to people etc etc.

Lots goes on interview for unskilled part time jobs i think.
    I'd say that I'm quite confident and I think I have good people skills.

I've also realised that you can't get a job in McDonalds if you're English :p: My local seems to employ one person that speaks okay English...

ReputationRep:
    Aww don't worry. I'm finding it really hard to get a job at the mo too. Just keep trying and things should pick up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatexW)
    I'm so annoyed. I applied at McDonalds a month ago and they didn't even get back to me, I got rejected from Pets at Home and I've just got rejected from HMV in the games section.

I need the experience more than I need the money as I've never had a job before. Every job I look at wants experience even if it's just working on a till?!

I was perfect for that HMV job as I know a lot about games and how hard can it be to work a till?

I have qualifications under my belt plus a load of extra cirricular stuff. Gahhh! This is really knocking my confidence :mad:

Maybe this is part of the problem- these places think that you won't be able to devote as much time to them because of studying- perhaps they're looking for someone more flexible in that respect.
    I know a couple of people who applied to jobs where I work now and are in school- and they were rejected. Whereas I've just left school and am on a gap year (= loads of free time) and I got the job.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    I hate it when They don't even reply to say no. If they say no I dont mind, but when they say nothing......

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up!!!!!!!!
    I was looking for a job for 4 months and i've even had a job before
    I got really good GCSEs so thats obvs not wat they're looking for
    Like the other guys said - give long, interesting answers in the interview, that's where it counts!
    Also, review your CV and show it to a few other ppl and get opinions
    xx

ReputationRep:

I've also realised that you can't get a job in McDonalds if you're English :p: My local seems to employ one person that speaks okay English...
    well as long as you walk in confident and come across well im sure you will find a job eventually - just keep trying.

Hand a cv in everywhere - i mean like every employer within a 10 mile radius - even if you dont think they would need someone your age. Fact is most employers arent looking for staff at the moment (i know the local tescos near me isnt taking on any chistmas staff at all and have cut hours) - but keep trying you will find something.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Ah well. Thanks guys

ReputationRep:

well as long as you walk in confident and come across well im sure you will find a job eventually - just keep trying.

Hand a cv in everywhere - i mean like every employer within a 10 mile radius - even if you dont think they would need someone your age. Fact is most employers arent looking for staff at the moment (i know the local tescos near me isnt taking on any chistmas staff at all and have cut hours) - but keep trying you will find something.

good luck

ReputationRep:

good luck

ReputationRep:

Aw love, don't worry, I got an email from Sainsburys today telling me they don't want me, even though I gave a good interview. It's just the climate and the way things are, I wouldn't worry

ReputationRep:

good luck
    That's 4 times you've sent the same post...

ReputationRep:
    You are more likely to get a job during the Xmas period. So my advice would be to keep on trying and you never know.

This is the time.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got average gcse's and managed to get a job really easily lol.

All you have to do is hand out loads of cv's and do well in an interview.

ReputationRep:
    i worked at

MATALAN- treat you like pooh so i left
    ORANGE- quality job but end of contract
    DPD- tooooooo much work
    TESCO- power mad managers treat you like pooh

them 4 jobs i left i only work at asda now
    AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! dont be so desperate to get employment even when you are in employment its likely theyll treat you badly due to the current climate them 4 jobs were within 8 weeks

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it!

I handed out 10 CVs last month, and not one reply, I mean ffs.... I must be retarded or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I hate it when They don't even reply to say no. If they say no I dont mind, but when they say nothing......
    Tell me about it. The silence leaves you in a world of nothingness. Its horriable. Ive only ever got one reply which was no(I appriciated it)

When theres silence its like they didnt even consider you. Its stressful. Atleast reply!

ReputationRep:

good luck
    You kidding me right? Thats the worse way to look for a job. I mean ive wasted hours going around my highstreet a few weeks ago and only ONE SHOP accepted my CV and even that was just a "we are not recruiting but you can leave your cv here if you want"

Ive got a baby face and i asked this one guy are you recruiting. He kind of looked at me and said how old are you. I said 18 and then he said sorry we are not recruiting. I gave him the look of disgust. The cheek of the man. I was much taller and stronger looking then him. I could crush that midget with one hand! GRRRRR Damn baby face!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.