Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the question is:

find the length of the cord formed when the line x-2y+4=0 intersects the circle (x-2)^2 + (y+7)^2= 85, giving your answer in the form k*root*5 where k is a constant.

ok so what i did was use the simultaneous method i multipplied all the brackets out without for the cirlce equation and got:

x^2-4x+4+y^2+14y+49=85

then for the line i rearranged it to get x=2y-4, i then sub. this into the expanded equation and got

4y^2-16y+6-8y-16+y^2+14y+49=85

simplifying it cleaning everything up i got:

5y^2-10y-36=0

now im like....i have no idea what to do:shifty: , any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, there are 4 mistakes with that post:

1) Use LaTex- (it's easier)
    2) You have spelt chord incorrectly, it's "chord" not "cord"
    3) it's not "sub"- it's substituted
    4) Plus numerous more spelling errors

Right, firstly the chord will intercept a circle graph- like obviously. I can't be bothered to tell you the method (etc). Oh, and learn how to spell.

ReputationRep:

Right, firstly the chord will intercept a circle graph- like obviously. I can't be bothered to tell you the method (etc). Oh, and learn how to spell.

ReputationRep:
    I'm now going to give you some help instead of being an arrogant fool who does not even realize that the TSR capitalization of LaTeX is wrong yet still copies it like a fool. Also lols because she posted twice like a fool.
    Do not listen to her, she obviously has nothing worth saying. (and is a fool)

I would check your final equation because I believe it is wrong :p:. You have made some mistakes when substituting the line into the circle. Corrections in red
    (Original post by hopes)
    4y^2-16y+16-8y+16+4+y^2+14y+49=85

Once you have the correct equation in y solve it and you will have found the y coordinates where they line and circle intersect. You can substitute these two value into the equation for the line to get the x values.

Now that you have two points all you have to do is find the distance between them.

Just post if you need any more help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fool- lol, well I maybe

Oh and I don't get your joke- "what did the mathematician say after christmas dinner"- maybe I'm pronouncing it wrong- like a fool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie Maywood)

guy below is right, you really are a fool....fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Muon)
    I'm now going to give you some help instead of being an arrogant fool who does not even realize that the TSR capitalization of LaTeX is wrong yet still copies it like a fool. Also lols because she posted twice like a fool.
    Do not listen to her, she obviously has nothing worth saying. (and is a fool)

I would check your final equation because I believe it is wrong :p:. You have made some mistakes when substituting the line into the circle. Corrections in red

Once you have the correct equation in y solve it and you will have found the y coordinates where they line and circle intersect. You can substitute these two value into the equation for the line to get the x values.

Now that you have two points all you have to do is find the distance between them.

Just post if you need any more help.

thanks alot so 5y^2-10y= 0

factorising it gives 5y(y-2) so y= 2 so the constant k is 2 meaning its 2root5 , well thats the answer in the book anyway lol.

ReputationRep:
    You have circles in C1? What exam board?

ReputationRep:
    In the spoilers are a range of steps on how you would solve the question. I recommend you only use them to check what your doing/ have done and not to just copy as this will not benefit your learning.

Spoiler:
    Show
    5y^2-10y=0

5y(y-2)=0

y must equal 2 or 0

Spoiler:
    Show
    If y=0 then  x=2(0)-4=-4

If y=2 then x=2(2)-4=0

The coordinates of the two points of intersection are (-4,0) and  (0,2)

Spoiler:
    Show
    The distance between two points is \sqrt{(y_2-y_1)^2+(x_2-x_1)^2}

Distance  = \sqrt{(2-0)^2+(0-(-4))^2}= \sqrt{4+16}=\sqrt{20}=\sqrt{4\ti  mes5}=\sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{5}=2\sqrt{5}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    You have circles in C1? What exam board?
    I do AQA which have them. Its really just added on to the geometry chapter.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.