The Student Room Group

Positive PGCE experiences

Hello

So Im 40 with 3 children (all in comp) and have signed up to study a PGCE next year. I have seen numerous horror stories but I was wondering if people had positive experiences to help calm my anxiety!

Thanks
Original post by bltglark
Hello

So Im 40 with 3 children (all in comp) and have signed up to study a PGCE next year. I have seen numerous horror stories but I was wondering if people had positive experiences to help calm my anxiety!

Thanks

What sort of provider have you chosen? I did a traditional PGCE with two school placements and loved it:smile:

I now mentor trainees for a university-led PGCE and they've all completed the course. The only horror stories I;ve heard have been with Teach First and SCITTs with a poor partner school.
Reply 2
I’m doing a traditional PGCE (primary) at Cardiff met. I have a meeting this week to discuss the school placements, I’m not sure what to expect. I think my main worry is work loads and the support you receive in the placements.
I also did the traditional PGCE and absolutely loved it. My uni and placement schools were so lovely and supportive.

It's an intense year and the workload is high, but it's manageable!
Original post by bltglark
I’m doing a traditional PGCE (primary) at Cardiff met. I have a meeting this week to discuss the school placements, I’m not sure what to expect. I think my main worry is work loads and the support you receive in the placements.

Schools for placements should be good [rated by the Welsh equivalent of Ofsted] and you should get a mentor at the school.

You should get help with planning to start with and a good department will share resources.
I did my Primary PGCE 2020-2021. Obviously it wasn’t a typical experience and did spend a fair amount of time self isolating! However, my placements and mentors (both in school and at uni) couldn’t have been more supportive or helpful. My workload also wasn’t as bad as you hear about.

The only thing that would’ve made it better would’ve been seeing my fellow students in person but it couldn’t be helped! But in terms of the actual course: amazing!
(edited 1 year ago)
Pls support my petition against universities like BCU. Thanks

https://www.change.org/p/end-neglect...event-suicides

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending