The Student Room Group

is university worth it?

I have applied to a university for computer science but I think sometime is it worth it going to a university? I have a job offer at British Airways for 25k. I am still 18 years old. I NEEED HELPPPPPP!!!! both starting in October!!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
What would you be studying and what type of work would you do at BA?
clerical agent but will get promotion after 6 months and Computer science at Lancaster uni
Original post by ajj2000
What would you be studying and what type of work would you do at BA?
Whether it's worth it or not depends what you want to do. Having a computer science degree would definitely open a lot of doors for you in the technology sector and it would allow you to apply for plenty of graduate jobs which require STEM degrees. It mostly leads to careers such as software development, technology consulting, data engineering, cloud engineering etc. If you do not like coding and you do not have any interest in these areas then a computer science degree may not be for you. It is ultimately your decision and what you want to do which is something that only you know.

If you feel that you will like the type of job that you'll do at British Airways then go for it. But then you also have to think about whether the job will allow you to progress further in the career because you may start at 25k, but if there are no opportunities for career progression then you might be stuck with 25k-30k. It's not awful by any means, but at some point you'll probably want to progress and earn more.
Original post by Esingh-2001
I have applied to a university for computer science but I think sometime is it worth it going to a university? I have a job offer at British Airways for 25k. I am still 18 years old. I NEEED HELPPPPPP!!!! both starting in October!!!!

Original post by Esingh-2001
clerical agent but will get promotion after 6 months and Computer science at Lancaster uni

Go to uni. You have the rest of your life after uni to work. Lancaster is also a decent uni.

You can try to defer your BA start date by 1 year. If you don't like the first year, you drop out and start your job.
Original post by username464444
Whether it's worth it or not depends what you want to do. Having a computer science degree would definitely open a lot of doors for you in the technology sector and it would allow you to apply for plenty of graduate jobs which require STEM degrees. It mostly leads to careers such as software development, technology consulting, data engineering, cloud engineering etc. If you do not like coding and you do not have any interest in these areas then a computer science degree may not be for you. It is ultimately your decision and what you want to do which is something that only you know.

If you feel that you will like the type of job that you'll do at British Airways then go for it. But then you also have to think about whether the job will allow you to progress further in the career because you may start at 25k, but if there are no opportunities for career progression then you might be stuck with 25k-30k. It's not awful by any means, but at some point you'll probably want to progress and earn more.

You created a new account to post this? Interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending