The Student Room Group

IB/ Getting into Cambridge

What are my chances of getting into Cambridge law if my PG is a 44/45, but with transcripts of 39/42, 36/42 for IB Prep Year, and 38/42, 39/42 for IB1?
I think one thing all applicants can agree on is that chances are slim because for every vacancy, there will be about 7-8 applicants with some faculties better/worse than this. I am an interested applicant myself, preparing my PS for UCAS application in Sep. I was initially hesitant to apply due to Cambridge's low acceptance rate but if I don't try, I would never know.

The HL requirements for Law are 776 https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/law_subject_requirements.pdf

LNAT - I hear from classmates who are pursuing Law their LNAT score needs to be really good i.e. 27 to be in the 'safe zone' for consideration to get an offer from the likes of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE etc

Have you had conversations with your respective teachers on how to get from 39 to 41 (out of 42/towards your targeted PG) before the Oct 15th deadline?
Reply 2
Original post by BubblesBB
I think one thing all applicants can agree on is that chances are slim because for every vacancy, there will be about 7-8 applicants with some faculties better/worse than this. I am an interested applicant myself, preparing my PS for UCAS application in Sep. I was initially hesitant to apply due to Cambridge's low acceptance rate but if I don't try, I would never know.

The HL requirements for Law are 776 https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/law_subject_requirements.pdf

LNAT - I hear from classmates who are pursuing Law their LNAT score needs to be really good i.e. 27 to be in the 'safe zone' for consideration to get an offer from the likes of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE etc

Have you had conversations with your respective teachers on how to get from 39 to 41 (out of 42/towards your targeted PG) before the Oct 15th deadline?

I'm 2-3%s away from a 7 for two of my level 6 subjects, so it is likely that they will be bumped up to a 7 for my predicted grades, which makes my PG a 44/45. Still, the raw mark on my report card remains 39/42
Original post by nicxlechxn
I'm 2-3%s away from a 7 for two of my level 6 subjects, so it is likely that they will be bumped up to a 7 for my predicted grades, which makes my PG a 44/45. Still, the raw mark on my report card remains 39/42

Good luck on your upgrades and LNAT!
What are my chances of getting into Cambridge law if my PG is a 44/45, but with transcripts of 39/42, 36/42 for IB Prep Year, and 38/42, 39/42 for IB1?

Hi! I’m starting at Cambridge law this October, I applied with predicted grades of 44/45 and achieved 43/45 in the finals. So, it’s definitely possible with those grades. In terms of the transcripts I noticed that they are out of 42. Since Cambridge offers are always out of 45 it may be possible to ask your school to include TOK/ EE grades to add to your transcripts, which should bring your grades to the requirements. If not, Cambridge will understand that they are out of 42 and you should still possibly get an interview, especially since the colleges tend to contextualise this sort of data. Finally, Cambridge like to see improvement, hence, even though you got 36/42 in your prep year, you still got 39/42 in IB 1, which shows your capable of being taught and working hard. If you want to apply, I would go for it as even though no one can guarantee you an offer, the feeling of not trying may be worse than getting rejected. I hope this helps and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :smile:
Original post by Rebeca5782
Hi! I’m starting at Cambridge law this October, I applied with predicted grades of 44/45 and achieved 43/45 in the finals. So, it’s definitely possible with those grades. In terms of the transcripts I noticed that they are out of 42. Since Cambridge offers are always out of 45 it may be possible to ask your school to include TOK/ EE grades to add to your transcripts, which should bring your grades to the requirements. If not, Cambridge will understand that they are out of 42 and you should still possibly get an interview, especially since the colleges tend to contextualise this sort of data. Finally, Cambridge like to see improvement, hence, even though you got 36/42 in your prep year, you still got 39/42 in IB 1, which shows your capable of being taught and working hard. If you want to apply, I would go for it as even though no one can guarantee you an offer, the feeling of not trying may be worse than getting rejected. I hope this helps and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :smile:

Congratulations! Your interview must have been outstanding! Hope you don't mind my asking, what is your LNAT score?

What constitutes IB Prep Year and IB 1? I am asking because I am an international school student and we literally only had 9 calendar months in 1st year of IB, to solidify the chances of our predicted grades. Our official predicted IB grades will be announced just a week before our UCAS applications are submitted end of Sep.
Congratulations! Your interview must have been outstanding! Hope you don't mind my asking, what is your LNAT score?

What constitutes IB Prep Year and IB 1? I am asking because I am an international school student and we literally only had 9 calendar months in 1st year of IB, to solidify the chances of our predicted grades. Our official predicted IB grades will be announced just a week before our UCAS applications are submitted end of Sep.

Hi!
This year Cambridge didn’t require the LNAT and I had to sit the Cambridge law test instead, which I felt went pretty well.

I’m pretty sure IB 1, would be the time which you started the diploma, until the summer holidays (end of that academic year). Hopefully, that helps
Hi!
This year Cambridge didn’t require the LNAT and I had to sit the Cambridge law test instead, which I felt went pretty well.

I’m pretty sure IB 1, would be the time which you started the diploma, until the summer holidays (end of that academic year). Hopefully, that helps

Thanks for clarifying. I had forgotten that this year is the first year Cambridge is using the LNAT which my friends have applied for.

IB 1 is what I had completed too, and I will be starting IB 2 soon, with exams in May'23. What I don't understand is IB Prep Year. What is this? The year before, I had sat for my IGCSE exams. Is IB Prep Year = IB Foundation Year for students who didn't sit for their (I)GCSEs?
Thanks for clarifying. I had forgotten that this year is the first year Cambridge is using the LNAT which my friends have applied for.

IB 1 is what I had completed too, and I will be starting IB 2 soon, with exams in May'23. What I don't understand is IB Prep Year. What is this? The year before, I had sat for my IGCSE exams. Is IB Prep Year = IB Foundation Year for students who didn't sit for their (I)GCSEs?

I sat IGCSE before IB too and because I did more than 6, I only needed to submit my IGCSE results and no transcript was required. Thus, they only needed my predicted grades and IGCSE grades
I sat IGCSE before IB too and because I did more than 6, I only needed to submit my IGCSE results and no transcript was required. Thus, they only needed my predicted grades and IGCSE grades

Yeah, it does say on the website that High School transcripts are not required and I had also seen the transcript flowchart, so it would be the same for me too.

Were you asked to send your IGCSE certificate subsequently, after you filled up your My Cambridge application? If you were, did you send the one with the Percentage Uniform Mark (PUM)?

Edit: NB: Since my post, I have seen on the university website that only Offer Holders will be asked to upload IGCSE certificate. Did you send the one with PUM? I mean I would be most happy to do so. Just wanted to know which one is required.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah, it does say on the website that High School transcripts are not required and I had also seen the transcript flowchart, so it would be the same for me too.

Were you asked to send your IGCSE certificate subsequently, after you filled up your My Cambridge application? If you were, did you send the one with the Percentage Uniform Mark (PUM)?

Edit: NB: Since my post, I have seen on the university website that only Offer Holders will be asked to upload IGCSE certificate. Did you send the one with PUM? I mean I would be most happy to do so. Just wanted to know which one is required.

I applied via UCAS and they just ask you to input the letter grade at IGCSE. If you are then subsequently offered a place by Cambridge the college will ask you to send a scanned copy of your gcse certificate to them

Edit: my PG turned out to be a 45/45, with transcripts 38-39/42 for IB1 (TOK A), and Prep Year transcripts 1B 5A 1A+

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending