Abortion

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
There is a famous Canadian actress, her name is Lauren Collins, she famous and known for her role as Paige in Degrassi: The Next Generation and Kendra in Life with Derek. I noticed her Instagram post, where she uses her own child to promote abortion. I have mixed feelings about abortion but is it wrong to use your own child to promote abortion? Could she make the post without using her child?

Here's the post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdTDTFKOxXq/

Please, be respectful, abortion is a sensitive topic.
Advertisement
Jingo7
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
She has a child, and she has a position on abortion. What's the issue here?
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
It does seem in rather poor taste, and disrespectful to that child in my opinion.
Advertisement
da_nolo
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Considering that she used instagram, she had to use a picture?

From point of being able to speak her mind and use her kids picture, I am mixed on it. On one hand there isnt anything enherently wrong to give example to her opinion.

We should consider her logic though.
A. If she is for abortion then we can ask if the boy had any relevance or importance in the womb. How did she feel about him in the womb? If he had no rights or relevancy, then how would he have these things now?

B. Considering her own example & majority condition surrounding abortion. Anyone can choose to be pregnant if abortion is illegal. No one needs to have an abortion to choose when to be pregnant.
Jingo7
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by da_nolo)
We should consider her logic though.
A. If she is for abortion then we can ask if the boy had any relevance or importance in the womb. How did she feel about him in the womb? If he had no rights or relevancy, then how would he have these things now?
Sure, you could ask that question, but what would be the point? The post says 'feeling happy blah blah blah, happy that the choice was mine, abortion is good'. If she chose to have a kid, presumably she felt happy when she was pregnant with him.
Advertisement
hotpud
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
B. Considering her own example & majority condition surrounding abortion. Anyone can choose to be pregnant if abortion is illegal. No one needs to have an abortion to choose when to be pregnant.
This is indeed true. But what of those who don't choose to become pregnant because of an accident, failed contraception or rape? Do you think it likely to see an Instagram post stating "S**t happened and I got pregnant. My life has turned upside down and now I have to look after this innocent child alone." I think not but I am sure there are many women who think that.
Last edited by hotpud; 1 week ago
da_nolo
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hotpud)
This is indeed true. But what of those who don't choose to become pregnant because of an accident, failed contraception or rape? Do you think it likely to see an Instagram post stating "S**t happened and I got pregnant. My life has turned upside down and now I have to look after this innocent child alone." I think not but I am sure there are many women who think that.
I reference the majority of cases not outliers. Rape is not the majority and has been reported at 3 % or lower in many statistics globally, which makes it an outlier. We dont apply it as a normal outcome for pregnancy, therefore my previous post applies to the majority, as I stated. The majority can still choose.

What about failed? There are multiple measures that can be taken so contraception practice by both partners, combined with natural family planning and choosing when to or when not to have sex makes it rather hard for all aspects to fail. There is even a point where some who never want to habe kids may save their eggs/sperm on ice if they so choose, then "get tubes tied." As stated there are ways to prevent pregnancy.

However, for what ever reason, a person feels like none of these options work and get to the point where they are pregnant or have had said child and is now alone. There are multiple organizations open (who dont capitalize on others or profit) to help depending on needs. If there is a laps in services availability, banning abortion will help move money into those services.
(Original post by Jingo7)
Sure, you could ask that question, but what would be the point? The post says 'feeling happy blah blah blah, happy that the choice was mine, abortion is good'. If she chose to have a kid, presumably she felt happy when she was pregnant with him.
The point would be to find out the whys and understand a person's logic to their beliefs. Why would she be happy? When does this happines begin and what does it stem from? Im sure there are other questions, so...Etc.
Advertisement
hotpud
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
What about failed? There are multiple measures that can be taken so contraception practice by both partners, combined with natural family planning and choosing when to or when not to have sex makes it rather hard for all aspects to fail. There is even a point where some who never want to habe kids may save their eggs/sperm on ice if they so choose, then "get tubes tied." As stated there are ways to prevent pregnancy.
Yep - I get all that. But even the best forms of contraception are not 100%. Even if some are 99% effective, that is still 1 in 100 cases where the contraception fails which across all the people in the world having sex, is a big number. As for tying things in knots. It is a big operation and not to be taken lightly. I had a vasectomy. It didn't work.
da_nolo
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yep - I get all that. But even the best forms of contraception are not 100%. Even if some are 99% effective, that is still 1 in 100 cases where the contraception fails which across all the people in the world having sex, is a big number. As for tying things in knots. It is a big operation and not to be taken lightly. I had a vasectomy. It didn't work.
This is where we use more than just one form of contraceptive (as said before) and multiple methods at once. Increases probability.

Having both (or all?) partners contribute to the sex discussion prior to sex helps boost this.

A vasectomy did not work huh...so the doctor was unable to complete the procedure? Unless "tubes" could fuze together after the fact.
Advertisement
hotpud
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
This is where we use more than just one form of contraceptive (as said before) and multiple methods at once. Increases probability.

Having both (or all?) partners contribute to the sex discussion prior to sex helps boost this.

A vasectomy did not work huh...so the doctor was unable to complete the procedure? Unless "tubes" could fuze together after the fact.
Yep - agreed with all of those. An yet there are still those who end up in the unplanned camp. But saying people should talk first is a bit like telling teenagers they should just say "no". If ever a strategy was proven not to work.

As for vasectomy not working. It is a thing apparently. Ho hum.
da_nolo
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yep - agreed with all of those. An yet there are still those who end up in the unplanned camp. But saying people should talk first is a bit like telling teenagers they should just say "no". If ever a strategy was proven not to work.

As for vasectomy not working. It is a thing apparently. Ho hum.
Well yeah there are people in that camp. Some who didnt use any method at all. This does not fall to the conclusion that abortion must be legal. Especially if legal abortion keeps the problem in a hamster wheel. Understandible that it would, since it is easier to fall back onto.
Advertisement
hotpud
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Well yeah there are people in that camp. Some who didnt use any method at all. This does not fall to the conclusion that abortion must be legal. Especially if legal abortion keeps the problem in a hamster wheel. Understandible that it would, since it is easier to fall back onto.
And illegal abortion somehow solves the problem? As a man I don't really feel I have the right to prevent someone else's control of their own body. I certainly don't want a return to back street abortions and the use of knitting needles.
Half_Psychotic
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Jingo7)
She has a child, and she has a position on abortion. What's the issue here?
She's using her child to further her agenda, when she doesn't need to. Her child has no say in the issue, does he? Charlie is a cute kid. She's allowed to be pro choice or pro life, but I think it's messed up to make a child a poster child for abortion.
Last edited by Half_Psychotic; 6 days ago
Advertisement
Half_Psychotic
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
And illegal abortion somehow solves the problem? As a man I don't really feel I have the right to prevent someone else's control of their own body. I certainly don't want a return to back street abortions and the use of knitting needles.
Totally agree.
Half_Psychotic
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
My user is Half_Psychotic, I made this thread, but went as "Anonymous," it's funny because when I reply, you can see my username, so I thought, might as well put it out there, since I have no shame, as long as the conversation is civil and respectful.

Lauren Collins, as an actress, is amazing, she will always be a phenomenal actress, but her post seems distasteful and disrespectful, say whatever you like about abortion, but keep your living child out of this.

I can't believe nobody's talking about surrogacy, I always hear people talk about adoption, which is complicated and traumatising, but never surrogacy.
da_nolo
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Half_Psychotic)
She's using her child to further her agenda, when she doesn't need to. Her child has no say in the issue, does he? Charlie is a cute kid. She's allowed to be pro choice or pro life, but I think it's messed up to make a child a poster child for abortion.
This is well said. In some way she is using her child's body in a way that child may not want it to be used. Hm.
Making abortion illegal is only part of a solutionto. This moves money from abortion industry (where private companies make money from govt. and private sector expenses) to areas that can better serve others. Helping women stay away from any abortion. Society will adapt and progress into a better society.

So you are in favor of women having control of their own body? Can a woman who is keeping her child take a pill that may disform that child while said child is in the womb?

My user is Half_Psychotic, I made this thread, but went as "Anonymous," it's funny because when I reply, you can see my username, so I thought, might as well put it out there, since I have no shame, as long as the conversation is civil and respectful.

Lauren Collins, as an actress, is amazing, she will always be a phenomenal actress, but her post seems distasteful and disrespectful, say whatever you like about abortion, but keep your living child out of this.

I can't believe nobody's talking about surrogacy, I always hear people talk about adoption, which is complicated and traumatising, but never surrogacy.
In what way do you want surrogacy talked about?
Napp
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Not sure if you can call it wsrong, per-se. Its certainly extremely tasteless though.
I personally dont oppose abortion and find those wishing to ban it to be unimaginable *****. However, to 'support' it, let alone celebrate it, is revolting. Abortion is not something to be celebrated as opposed to a necessary evil that someone should be getting through lack of any reasonable alternative. To use it as another form of contraception is moronic in the extreme, getting one because cba anything else is no better and those devious scum getting them for fun or to stick it to the man are just revolting excuses for humans.

As i said, such a thing is nothing to celebrate but is, by definition really the last option one should be able to take as no one should be uncaring, let alone happy, to terminate a faetus.

But please, if you think my summation is wrong, do say why
Advertisement
hotpud
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Since when was this an issue that only affects women if abortion is not an option? Last time I looked it took both man and woman to get pregnant.

If abortion is to be banned why not make the man involved accountable for half the care costs and time by criminal law? And if the man chooses to give up his care role responsibilities, he is then liable for 75% of the costs. That is surely only fair?
Rondenberg
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Agree with this. Whether a woman can have an abortion or not depends on the ethics of a given society as well as morality and the law. If a woman decides to have an abortion then it is her right to do so but using children to promote political ideas and activism is just unacceptable to me.
Half_Psychotic
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
I forgot to add: Lauren made the "Abortion" post on Mother's Day. What do you think about it? Should abortion be talked during Mother's Day? I thought it was redundant, distasteful and disrespectful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (9)
18.75%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (13)
27.08%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (24)
50%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
4.17%

Watched Threads