The Student Room Group

Need ideas for subject matter for my art project in second year BA

Hi. I've always had trouble with coming up with a subject matter when starting an art project, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
What media?
Reply 2
I work with all sorts of media, such as printmaking, paper cutouts, clay, acrylic, textiles etc
Original post by domonict
What media?
I would start with generating a list of random subjects that interest you.
This could be anything, so if I did one for myself right now, just as an illustration, it would include things like wildflowers, old buildings & birds. Although I have never studied art and am not particularly creative, I am sure any of these could be the launchpad for an artistic project if I put my mind to it. You could try to generate a similar list for yourself and see what comes up.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just a couple of thoughts: Perhaps look to some of the artists that inspire you. What subjects did they pursue? Visits to local museums are often helpful. Find an object that speaks to you. Why do you like it? Who made it? Who used it? What's it made of? What shape is it? What colour is it? Does it contain an interesting pattern, design or motif. Research its story...it might take you to some places you hadn't thought of. Lecturers like to see a bit of research!
I did similar for a recent project and got fixated by a puppet in my local museum. I ended up doing stuff I don't normally do and got a better grade for it!

Good luck.

Chris Stone
BA (Hons) Student - Painting, Drawing, Printmaking / Student Ambassador.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Just a couple of thoughts: Perhaps look to some of the artists that inspire you. What subjects did they pursue? Visits to local museums are often helpful. Find an object that speaks to you. Why do you like it? Who made it? Who used it? What's it made of? What shape is it? What colour is it? Does it contain an interesting pattern, design or motif. Research its story...it might take you to some places you hadn't thought of. Lecturers like to see a bit of research!
I did similar for a recent project and got fixated by a puppet in my local museum. I ended up doing stuff I don't normally do and got a better grade for it!

Good luck.

Chris Stone

Hi Chris. Thank you very much for the idea. Very interesting stuff. Could you let me know more about this please, for example, what did you do with the object (artistically using art materials/processes) and why?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Roxox
Hi Chris. Thank you very much for the idea. Very interesting stuff. Could you let me know more about this please, for example, what did you do with the object (artistically using art materials/processes) and why?

The puppet was a rabbit that appeared on TV in the South West in the sixties and seventies (I'm a mature student, I remember him!). I love everything to do with TV, radio, film, theatre, so I had an underlying interest anyway. I produced a series of work that was also influenced by some research into other artists, together with research on the puppet character. I went down a slightly conceptual route, questioning the role of celebrity in society, the role of puppets and/or rabbits in popular culture and questioned whether a TV puppet might have a better claim to be immortalised as a statue over a local slave trader. I also explored rumours that the puppet enjoyed some gay iconography back in the seventies. As you can imagine, it was all a bit surreal...I produced oil paintings on book covers (after the artist Andrew Cranston who does similar) and developed a taste for painting on found surfaces, so progressed to painting on coffee sacks. I also produced some aquatint prints and some charcoal drawings, all of which fit my Painting, Drawing and Printmaking degree course. As a fine art student, you have infinite possibilties (I would imagine) as to what media you could use.

In a nutshell, I drilled down into the subject matter and allowed myself to experiment more than usual, especially with regard to surfaces and grounds. The work ended up looking theatrical and slightly surreal, which has has pushed my interest in other artists, such as Paula Rego and Walter Sickert. I think all these factors may well influence my future work, so it felt like an exercise worth doing.

I was also receptive to the advice of my tutors and lecturers with regard to experimentation and allowed myself to be pushed out of my normal comfort zone.

Whatever subject you choose, there will be a story to tell somewhere. Good luck with it.

Chris Stone
Original post by Roxox
Hi. I've always had trouble with coming up with a subject matter when starting an art project, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Hi there,

My name is El and I'm an illustrator and animator graduate- although I can't tell you what exactly to base your project on, I thought I would tell you about a warm up I learnt in Uni which really helped me!

Simply make a spider diagram and list a handful of things you like, for example, animals, plants, a certain book, a movie, cars, make up, food etc.

Now, see what you could make out of these choices if you merge them together- so, if you merge plants and animals, you could make different creatures inspired by plants and simply merge greenery with your favourite animals! Then try and find artists who relate to this art form, such as Hiroki Takeda and Km Steere. Then from there you find artists you like and inspire you and develop your little idea into something huge!

During the diagram you can continue on with details and certain parts of the first subjects that you like- so back to animals and plants, you could look into natural decay, skeletons, the biology of the plants, shapes and sizes of nature, natural art, different plants such as poisonous plants or medicinal plants, natural products such as meat consumption and how we eat vegetables too, natural dyeing, natural printing, creating characters or world designs or simply just new creatures.
You can look up different art techniques and artists who use animals and plants as their inspirations as they're always inspirational and you'll always find something new. Maybe even looking at different cultures and how they use plants and animals for medicine and etc. Moodboards help with this too.

This can work for any topic or idea that you have so I'd highly advise this technique!

Hope it helps,
El
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest