Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, just want to get some opinions on this, but my relationship of 2 yrs is ending because my gf's dad is still rooted in old ways of thinking. He hasn't known about me because she doesn't have alot of contact with him and has always just lived with her mother. However now he has found out, its ruined everything, and I feel that I am unable to shake her out of it, to perhaps keepin a low key profile etc - is there anything I can say to make her change her mind, I wish she would stand upto her parents, but wat can I do eh?

ReputationRep:
    How old is she? Maybe you need to stand up to them together

ReputationRep:
    never let prejudice ruin a relationship. if you're both strong enough you can overcome it - if you want to.

she is 20+ and the problem is I can't get her to not go with it, for her its either her family or me, etc and I do love her, but nothing ive been able to say has been able to change that

ReputationRep:
    I do not understand.. You say she does not have a lot of contact with the father.. so how can this make such big difference? If she lived with the mother.. it has been okay from that point of view..

What does the mother think..?

her mother is takin a neutral stance, but lets just says hes quite abusive etc, so really she has no clout, which is another thing because my gf is beginning to think all men are like this etc...

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't she just move out? They obviously don't care about her happiness, so convince her that they're bad parents.

ReputationRep:
    I see now.. I just find it unusual how someone who is not in her life so much before.. now makes a big difference..

How much time have you had with the father..? If any..? Maybe you could try and show him his beliefs are unfounded.. That you are a good person..

What races are involved here..?

ReputationRep:
    Which races are involved? For some it may be a cultural as opposed to a racial issue.

lol no...plse serious suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    I was being serious.. What is not serious about my advice..?

black and white, yes its cultural but at the same time , hes never met me ie no contact etc...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.