Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I used to pull of my top button, then i didn't have one to do up!
    Prefects would of never got away with policing school uniform at my school though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saranotsarah)
    I had a huge argument with my mum this morning because she thinks that I'm setting a bad example to my younger sisters by not wearing my tie with the top button done up as stated in the school rules and about the fact that school is clamping down on uniform and how it's worn, and how loads of kids are getting detentions for not wearing their ties with the top buttons of their shirts fastened and she doesn't want them to be next.

I've always had to wear a tie from reception right up to sixth form and have never done up my top button, but I am quite good at hiding it under the knot of the tie so I don't get into trouble.

So did/do you do your top button up or leave it undone, and if you did/do undo it, is it just sometimes or all of the time and if undone, then how undone, i.e. is it right down, or is it a 'neat' undone? I need some evidence to show my mum that I'm not the only one! :p:
    Top button undone. Actually, I tended to cut the top button off all my shirts (to use as spares for when other buttons came off, and as an excuse to not have my top button done up.)

Shortish tie, but not stupidly short. (3 stripes, on the ties we had at my school.

Wide knot, tied very loosely.

Before I started at the school, people used to tie them the wrong way round (ie: the thin end of the tie visible), and as short as was physically possible - literally just a few centimetres long.

EDIT: And I was a prefect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Trix)
    Prefects would of never got away with policing school uniform at my school though!
    The lower school were scared of us (and Im not that scary), we dint bother telling the upper school to get their uniforms proper.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine undone, then quite short but not so short it looks rediculous and chavvy

ReputationRep:
    I've never had to wear a tie
    It wasn't part of the uniform at either primary or secondary

ReputationRep:
    years 7, 8 and 9 - shirt tucked in, top button done up and tie in full windsor knot.

Years 10,11 - untucked shirt, top two buttons undone, scruffy half windsor knot.

ReputationRep:
    i think the guys at our school took it way too far. Ties were all done using a windsor know, black blazer, and a wollen overcoat, black gloves (kevlar lined) and some even had a Trilby.

ReputationRep:
    I used to wear it properly, top button done up, simple knot (not a big footballer type knot), thick end hanging down lower than the thin end, decent length (couple of shirt buttons above the trouser line).

It is a good habit to get into and will serve you well in later life where if you look like ****, people will treat you like ****.

ReputationRep:
    I wear mine at a sensible length (i.e. a bit above my belt), pulled up, with my top button done up.

Wouldn't want to be sporting the McFly look would I...

ReputationRep:
    I've always had my top bottom done up and I have also never had my school shirt hanging out. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Up to about year 9 I did up my top button, but after that the school stopped caring so much so I stopped bothering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    I never had to wear one in my school life.
    :ditto:

Then when I started Year 13 the new head decided to smarten the school up so all Year 7-11's had to wear these vile ties and we had to go to sixth form in smart casual dress whereas before we could wear whatever we wanted (obviously within reason).

I so missed my constant jean wearing days of Year 12

Now I'm in uni and can wear whatever I want!

ReputationRep:
    I have my top button undone, with the tie done up properly - it's looser but looks right. School's really *****y about top buttons, but I never get pulled up on it =/

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm,i'm in sixth form and I wear a tie.I wear it however.Sometimes short and sometimes long.I have never done up my top button.

ReputationRep:
    I HAD to wear a tie properly in middle school.
    But in upper school I never done the top button up and I made my tie short haha. Til one day one ***** teacher told me my tie wasn't done up properly and grabbed it and did it herself and did it so tight she nearly strangled me. So I went went the corner and undid the top button.:laughing: I was coooool.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Me? Shirt; top button up, tucked into skirt which is about 2 inches above the knee. Tie; full Windsor knot, tip about an inch above the top of my skirt.

I don't button my blazer, but I'll shut up and get out now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a sruffy lad in school. I always have my shirt untucked and a shortish tie. I don't know why, because outside school, i'm always "fly" and neat.
    I suppose cos everyone else is like that too at rosedale.

ReputationRep:
    like a naughty schoolgirl.

ReputationRep:
    Never did top button up, just hid it under the knot of the tie. The tie was a strange sort of length - a few inches above the waist.

So just about acceptable by most reasonable people's standards.

ReputationRep:
    If it don't show, it don't matter.

Personally I've always done my top button up when wearing a tie. It just feels strange otherwise.

I rather miss wearing uniform.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.