Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I use to pull out bits of thread to make 'maggots' in my tie lol

ReputationRep:
    We had to have 7 stripes showing, pulled to the top with our button done up
    ..... but no one ever did that! we used to do weird things with out ties, like cut off the other end, make the knots really wide and have them really short

ReputationRep:
    Oh and we also used to pick the colour threads from the stripes from our ties, to make the stripes black.

ReputationRep:
    I wear mine hanging low.

ReputationRep:
    Good Lord! The U.K. is the only country in the western world where this conversation would even be taking place. I can never understand why you British kids are so willing to ritually humiliate yourselves every day of your school life. Surely there has to be a desire to go to school dressed like every other kid in Europe - i.e. wearing whatever the hell you want. Or are all you all such oppressed, humiliated wimps that you meekly follow your masters orders without question. At the end of the day, the underlying cause of the British obsession with school uniforms has to be sexual to some extent, but I can't quite work it out - very weird.

ReputationRep:
    Being deputy head girl, I kinda have to wear my tie properly, so it tends to be about as long as my shirt, which tends to be tucked in everynow and then...

I do the trick where you hide you undone top button under the knot, otherwise the shirt really is too tight!

Vicki x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathyg)
    Good Lord! The U.K. is the only country in the western world where this conversation would even be taking place. I can never understand why you British kids are so willing to ritually humiliate yourselves every day of your school life. Surely there has to be a desire to go to school dressed like every other kid in Europe - i.e. wearing whatever the hell you want. Or are all you all such oppressed, humiliated wimps that you meekly follow your masters orders without question. At the end of the day, the underlying cause of the British obsession with school uniforms has to be sexual to some extent, but I can't quite work it out - very weird.
    ouch. Whats wrong with wearing a uniform?

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of a tie?

Mine was done properly. They were really picky about it though - it had to have 5 stripes on it. We got moaned at for our ties being too short. Someone then decided to take the piss and make theirs really long.

ReputationRep:
    top button fastned but tie knot was way to big for school rules always got away with it

ReputationRep:
    Why would anybody have issues with dressing properly? If you wanted to look like a scarecrow, you could add a straw hat.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you undo your top button and do your tie like that?

If it's for comfort, it's understandable but you'd be safer wearing it properly. Most people I know who undo their top buttons think it makes them cool, which frankly I find pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have a tie anymore, the uniform changed when I was in year 10. I miss having a tie though and how schools have tie "fashion" lol. We used to have our knot as small as we could possibly make it and really low. We must of looked like a school of tramps, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I left school a long time ago (well 3 and a bit years ago), but now I have a uniform for St John, which has a clip on tie :P. That's the safest option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)

If it's for comfort, it's understandable but you'd be safer wearing it properly. Most people I know who undo their top buttons think it makes them cool, which frankly I find pathetic.
    I don't really care whether I look cool or not. If I was bothered about that then I'd refuse to wear a uniform at the age of 17 wouldn't I? No I wear it undone for comfort, seeing as I have to be up at 6am and I generally don't change when I get home, I think I'd be strangled if I wore it done up all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemeter)
    Being deputy head girl, I kinda have to wear my tie properly, so it tends to be about as long as my shirt, which tends to be tucked in everynow and then...

I do the trick where you hide you undone top button under the knot, otherwise the shirt really is too tight!

Vicki x
    I used to do that trick but I can't be bothered now and wear it openly undone!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    I never had my top button fastened, like ever, we never tucked out shirts in either, teachers would moan at us for that, we would role up up and under to give the illusion it was tucked in, but as we walked in the opposite direction to them it falls undone
    :dito: I would say that only about 10% of the kids in my school had their uniform done up properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathyg)
    There's no alternative in the UK though, so people have to get used to it. And people definitely don't 'follow masters orders without question' because frankly, the behaviour in UK schools is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)

Comfort, and to fit in with everyone else. You look like a **** with all your buttons done up, when your 13.

You can tell that you got 11 A*'s without even looking at your signature.

ReputationRep:
    I Wore Mine With The Top Button Undone But I Was Good At Hiding It Because I Did My Tie To The Top

Not Only Does It Look More Nicer It Is Much More Confertabler

When You Have Your Top Button Closed Its Like Chocking

Please Reply
    • Forum Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Forum Assistant
    Normal knot, but literally 8 inches below top button lol, 2 or 3 shirt buttons undone but plain white tee's underneath.

Must have looked so stupid but it was just easy, tie could go on and off without adjusting, course always told to do it up properly.

Now they have blazers and have to look decent

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.