Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am lucky enough to be a landlord and live with my lodger. We get on really well.

We live in a 2 bed apartment. She wants her parents to come stay here for a few days whilst we are both working (we work at the same uni) and i'm not so happy about this for a number of reasons....

Its a 2 bed apartment and too small for 4 people!
    I like my space and a quiet home to come back to, i dont want to be walking on eggshells around my own home
    They dont speak english which makes it awkward
    More people coming in and out = more chance of doors/windows left open and alarms not turned on - i own literally all the stuff in the house, so its a personal worry.

Whats the best way of going about this? we are friends and i dont want to upset - her parents have booked flights and everything but im not sure if they have the money etc for a hotel for a few days......argh, i dont want things to become strained between us

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you were being too harsh, yes.
    Whilst she should have discussed it with you before you booked the flights, think how you'd feel if she turned around to you and said your family who you rarely see can't stay.
    It'll be a squeeze but it's only for a couple of days. It will cause too much tension to say no.

ReputationRep:
    Its for 6 days.....a bit of a long time to be getting under my feet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but they're her parents and you're her friend. I'd let em stay if I were you, it's not even a week, and there will be a lot of tension for a long time if you completely put your foot down.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're being harsh this girl pays her rent. From what you say she doesn't usually bring people back and is usually respectful of your stuff so what makes you think she won't do when her parents are there. I do agree that it's awkward when flatmates parents are around but it is only six days. It's hardly fair to say she can't have people to stay especially when she probably doesn't get to see them that often.

ReputationRep:
    In a strictly business sense, if you say no, you're almost certain to lose a good tenant. And there is a large surplus of buy to lets on the market, so you'll struggle to find another tenant immediately. So, I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should let them stay. It's not that unreasonable. At worst, it's a tense couple of days, but you get a massive bargaining chip for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    In a strictly business sense, if you say no, you're almost certain to lose a good tenant. And there is a large surplus of buy to lets on the market, so you'll struggle to find another tenant immediately. So, I wouldn't.
    Don't follow you on this one. Just because there are a lot of 'buy-to-let' properties for sale does not mean there are a lot of places to rent? In fact, in most student areas there's a distinct deficit of rental properties at the moment (in the current climate people are happy to rent rather than buy). Unless I've misinterpreted your post; in which case, sorry!

As for the OP - yeah, it's going to be annoying for a week. But it's really not worth straining a friendship over. You know your tenant/friend and know they can be trusted. Don't risk losing a good tenant for a potential stranger who may cause you hassle 24/7, as opposed to just 6 days mild inconvenience. Grin and bear it (as long as this is a 'one-off').

ReputationRep:
    You never know what will happen, they could cook amazing food. Just put up woth it for a few days....
    Explain to your friend that security is high so can she explain to your parents how to use the alarm as they dont speak english. Get her prehaps to write it on the door in her language?
    Or if you are really bothered some Unis have guest rooms in halls.
    Your choice, I say you are being a **** about it. The fact that they do not speak english is perfect, means you just need to smile and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Don't follow you on this one. Just because there are a lot of 'buy-to-let' properties for sale does not mean there are a lot of places to rent? In fact, in most student areas there's a distinct deficit of rental properties at the moment (in the current climate people are happy to rent rather than buy).
    Not in my experience. In most student cities I've lived in / visited (other than London), loads of BTLers thought the ever-increasing number of students was a license to print money. Now they are falling over themselves to rent the stuff. In Cardiff, for example, £50 a week rent, and you can haggle, there's so much. Most BTL sellers will also consider renting given that nothing is moving at the moment so they at least get something towards their mortgage interest costs. I calculated the pre-tax yield on the place I was letting in Cardiff for my landlord was about 3.5%. That's pre-tax, and given he should be paying 40% tax on his income, that's a pathetic return. So the point about it being a tenants market I think is a very valid one. Good tenants are like gold dust, and in this market, even more so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Don't follow you on this one. Just because there are a lot of 'buy-to-let' properties for sale does not mean there are a lot of places to rent? In fact, in most student areas there's a distinct deficit of rental properties at the moment (in the current climate people are happy to rent rather than buy). Unless I've misinterpreted your post; in which case, sorry!

As for the OP - yeah, it's going to be annoying for a week. But it's really not worth straining a friendship over. You know your tenant/friend and know they can be trusted. Don't risk losing a good tenant for a potential stranger who may cause you hassle 24/7, as opposed to just 6 days mild inconvenience. Grin and bear it (as long as this is a 'one-off').
    He may not find a better tenant and its better the devil you know. there are loads of properties to rent, I doubt any city has a shortage.

ReputationRep:
    If she pays rent then she should be able to have some relatives stay for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see why it has to be awkward? my flatmates have had people over to stay for a week or so and its never been a problem? I think you're being way too harsh - if you were the landlord and lived elsewhere it wouldnt be a problem would it.. plus she pays her rent and lives there as much as you do! dont make a fuss about it. what if you ever want someone round to stay for a few days in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Also if you work at the same Uni how are you a student landlord?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure it ain't an attempt to smuggling the whole familia in from some third world country .

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that doesn't find it harsh?

I really wouldn't want 2 people I don't know (and can't get to know because we don't speak the same language) living in my house for 6 days. It will be like being a stranger in your own home. I'd be a little happier if they had their own room, but they don't in this case. I can completely empathise with the OP.

You've probably left it too late to say anything now though, because you'll be putting them out quite a lot as they won't have budgeted for the cost. So I guess they are going to have to come and stay. Just keep it in mind for next time! Be straight as soon as the situation is even thought of!

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe you are being a little bit harsh. If your lodger rarely has anyone over then although it's a bit inconvenient, I think it would be a little unfair to not let her have any visitors. It's not going to be for that long and I'm sure she'll have explained the situation to her parents, and they will respect your property and privacy. If you're worried, then have a chat with her about your concerns before her parents arrive, it's better to get everything settled beforehand anyway.

If nothing else, if you say no it's likely to put a bit of a strain on your relationship and as she's a lodger, she could leave at any point. If she's a good tenant and you get on well generally, then would you really want to risk having to find a new lodger (who may not be so great) over a few day's inconvenience?

ReputationRep:
    In this case although it might irritate you for a while I would just grin and bear it - after all it isn't forever. However I would make it clear that in future you would appreciate it if she asked you about people visiting being accommodated in the flat before they made arrangements (like flights etc) because you would hate for a visit to clash with something else and end up that they have to go through a lot of hassle to change the arrangements. (That way you have some more lee way than now where it appears the arrangements have been made and you consulted secondly)

Also I would make a list of all the safety concerns/rules etc that you want to make sure your friend's parents are aware of and ask your friend to tell her parents about them because you want to be confident that (for example) if you go out to work in the morning leaving the friend's parents in the flat that they know what doors they need to lock, how to enable/disable the alarm system so that they - and the flat - are safe and you don't have to be worrying about safety.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! Im glad at least one person sees where im coming from.

Im a student landlord because....well i own a house! and im a student!

Yep i'll grin and bear it, and make sure in future its a no no. Rules are very different but thinking with my technical hat on i know if there is a property which is insured for 2 people to live in, if the house burns down but at that time 4 people are staying there, im pretty sure the insurance company wont pay out! Theres a BIG difference between renting a normal house and renting a hosue with the landlord living inside it however

Thanks everyone - Guess i'll just get on with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrhartley)
    Not in my experience. In most student cities I've lived in / visited (other than London), loads of BTLers thought the ever-increasing number of students was a license to print money. Now they are falling over themselves to rent the stuff. In Cardiff, for example, £50 a week rent, and you can haggle, there's so much. Most BTL sellers will also consider renting given that nothing is moving at the moment so they at least get something towards their mortgage interest costs. I calculated the pre-tax yield on the place I was letting in Cardiff for my landlord was about 3.5%. That's pre-tax, and given he should be paying 40% tax on his income, that's a pathetic return. So the point about it being a tenants market I think is a very valid one. Good tenants are like gold dust, and in this market, even more so.
    Interesting to hear that. 3.5% is a terrible return - stuff we're renting is making about 5.5 - 6.0% return pre-tax. Shows how much stuff varies depending on area though; I know some people in towns like St. Andrews who say rental property is like gold dust and as such rent is astronomical. Manchester seems to be much the same - around January when students were looking, stuff was going in hours (decent stuff that is - the overpriced rubbish just remained)

I agree that a lot of BTLs are going to start being rented out again - people are giving up on selling them for anything like a decent price so are starting to accept they're going to have to hold onto them for a few years until the market changes. I still believe that it's a landlord's market for the time being though, but maybe not for that much longer...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.