Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    6 days - where are they going to sleep? etc

i dont think you are harsh at all. But you have to come to a compromise or it will end you relationship. Have a go at her for not consulting you about it, etc (shift the focus of the argument), really play on it - make her apologise and perhaps say they could stay for a few nights - but 6 is rediculous.

Ask yourself are you more friends or are you more landlord-tennant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JazzyJo)
    Thanks everyone! Im glad at least one person sees where im coming from.

Im a student landlord because....well i own a house! and im a student!

Yep i'll grin and bear it, and make sure in future its a no no. Rules are very different but thinking with my technical hat on i know if there is a property which is insured for 2 people to live in, if the house burns down but at that time 4 people are staying there, im pretty sure the insurance company wont pay out! Theres a BIG difference between renting a normal house and renting a hosue with the landlord living inside it however

Thanks everyone - Guess i'll just get on with it!
    Rubbish.
    They are visiting, have return flights and the insurance company will not care. They just insure the goods. If I lost my Ipod in a friends house it is insured.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it'll affect your insurance at all, otherwise any householder wouldn't ever want overnight guests (or guests at all ...). Also, you insure your property and the fabric of the building as two separate things (buildings and contents insurance), and afaik it makes no difference how many people are in there should anything happen - you'd still be able to claim if, for example, the toilet broke and flooded the house whilst a guest was using it. Obviously it would make a difference if the building burnt down or got damaged because of something the guests were doing (like leaving a cigarette alight, for example), but that's a pretty unlikely scenario (thank heavens! )

As a landlord with a lodger the rules are different than if your friend was a joint tenant. You are perfectly within your rights to stipulate no visitors or overnight guests, but equally your lodger is perfectly within their rights to find that unacceptable and leave. It's about balance and being reasonable - obviously someone there every night isn't reasonable, but visitors once in a blue moon isn't *that* unreasonable. I agree though that your friend should have discussed this with you before her parents booked flights, it has put you in a difficult situation, but I can't really see what you can do. Either way someone's going to be uncomfortable, but is it worth ruining a friendship over it? It might be worth suggesting something like her parents taking over her room for however long, and her sleeping on the couch. That way they've got a room of their own, so to speak, and you're not falling over them. I'd imagine that they'll be out a lot anyway, so it might not be as bad as you think.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're perfectly within your rights to be a little annoyed, and she's being a bit cheeky. It's YOUR house, and you do live there - it would be different if you rented the house out and didn't actually reside there, as obviously you'd have no right to say who she could have staying over, but you do live there, and it's really out of order for her to invite family over for a prolonged stay (overnight, fair enough, but more than a week, it's not fair).

Her parents are also being seriously cheap wanting to stay for that long in somebody else's place!

ReputationRep:
    if there is a property which is insured for 2 people to live in, if the house burns down but at that time 4 people are staying there, im pretty sure the insurance company wont pay out!
    Don't worry about the insurance thing. As long as they are only staying as visitors and not permanent residents it's not a problem. Using your logic about the insurance company paying out, no students would ever be allowed to have their friends stay over as it would invalidate their landlord's building insurance - now that clearly isn't the case (thankfully!)

Theres a BIG difference between renting a normal house and renting a hosue with the landlord living inside it however
    I'm in the same situation and haven't run into any problems yet. There's still contracts drawn up and everyone still has to play by the rules (mates or not). The only thing is, when stuff breaks down I feel really guilty if it isn't fixed within a few hours (even if it's out of my control)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Interesting to hear that. 3.5% is a terrible return - stuff we're renting is making about 5.5 - 6.0% return pre-tax. Shows how much stuff varies depending on area though; I know some people in towns like St. Andrews who say rental property is like gold dust and as such rent is astronomical. Manchester seems to be much the same - around January when students were looking, stuff was going in hours (decent stuff that is - the overpriced rubbish just remained.
    I think the mistake a lot of BTL landlords make is they may have bought the houses years and years ago and calculate their yields on the original purchase price, and not the marked-to-market price. Against their initial purchase price, the yield looks great, against the current market value, the return is pathetic. I like to calculate the gross yield wherever I'm living. Even in Lymington - where there are hardly any places to rent because all the oldies come here to live out their days - the place I'm renting against recent sale prices from zoopla suggests a gross yield of 4.4% pre-tax.

Suggesting to me that property prices have probably got another 20-30% to fall.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    I think you're perfectly within your rights to be a little annoyed, and she's being a bit cheeky. It's YOUR house, and you do live there - it would be different if you rented the house out and didn't actually reside there, as obviously you'd have no right to say who she could have staying over, but you do live there, and it's really out of order for her to invite family over for a prolonged stay (overnight, fair enough, but more than a week, it's not fair).

Her parents are also being seriously cheap wanting to stay for that long in somebody else's place!
    While she's renting a room there, it's also her home.

They're only staying for 6 days.

ReputationRep:
    Are they sleeping in her bedroom with her? Even if i was just a joint tenant in a 2 bedroom place i wouldn't be happy having someone's parents who I didn't know sleeping in the shared living room space for nearly a week.

6 days actually sounds like a long time to be staying as a guest in someone's house, especially when they don't have spare rooms.

I can really see why you're not that happy about it, but it does make sense to put up with it, but maybe with some ground rules set out like that they have to sleep & keep their stuff in her room and can't be there unless she is (can't have the keys lent to them for example) if you're worried about security.

ReputationRep:
    The tenat is from overseas. She has been perfect, but now her parents are VISITING and you are getting annoyed because they will be staying one week.
    How will they cause you annoyance? Do you think her benaviour will change with them around? They must be good parents to bring her up and she is a pleasure to live with, do you think they will do stuff like leave a mess?
    They are here to see their daughter, will not be watching TV or doing much else but see their daughter.
    Ask the person you live with what she has planned for them... in a polite way like make it conversational. You will prob find that she will be going out most evenings with them.

ReputationRep:
    By the way you are not a student landlord. You own a property, have inivted someone to live with you so change the title. This thread has got nothing to do with you as a student and being a landlord.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by layla_1234)
    By the way you are not a student landlord. You own a property, have inivted someone to live with you so change the title. This thread has got nothing to do with you as a student and being a landlord.

er... yes she is.
    I'm sure she has a contract to say that she is a landlord, and that the other girl is her lodger.

She already said that her concerns are partially because she owns the property and everything in it and is worried about the security risks of having extra people. She is responsible for making the rules to protect her property.

ReputationRep:
    The OP is a student and is the landlord of her house (regardless of whether you yourself live in a property, if you own it and rent some portion of it out to other people, then you are the landlord) ... so she is a student landlord.

And it has everything to do with her being a landlord as she is concerned for the safety and security of her property as well as the logistics of having twice as many people in her house as it is meant to hold for a week.

ReputationRep:
    While the concerns are valid. I find it odd that you are worrying about parents who probably own their own home and are more likely to be security conscious than your average teenage friend who started living outside.

Other than that.. 6 days is not a long time at all. I'm assuming she is probably letting her parents stay in her bedroom, with the possability of her sleeping on the floor or coach.

You make it seem as if these people are definitely on a mission to cause you problems, when the situation hasn't even begun. Isn't it a little too pessimistic?

ReputationRep:
    Can i just point out, like other people have said. I am both a student at the uni and a landlord as i own the house outright. So i called myself a student landlord.....

And to poitn out im not worried about the parents making a mess, its just i like my space and 2 extra people around seems a bit too much. already with her friend here the hot water has run out on one day...i need to explain my boiler isnt big enough to support more than 2 people living here and im a bit worried what its like with 4 people round.

They dont speak any english which is why im worried about the security aspect but as someone has pointed out i will detail my housemate with all the information (not that she doesnt already know but i will reinforce).

They will be sleeping in her room and her on the couch i THINK. Thing is thier daughter (my housemate) will be at work for most of those days (9-6 more or less.....) so really wont spend all that much time with her....they will just be living in my house during the day and yes shes planning to lend them the keys....

Argh, well like i just said im gonna grin and bear it. Although im probably going to limit visitors to weekends from now on

ReputationRep:
    Can i just point out, like other people have said. I am both a student at the uni and a landlord as i own the house outright. So i called myself a student landlord.....

And to poitn out im not worried about the parents making a mess, its just i like my space and 2 extra people around seems a bit too much. already with her friend here the hot water has run out on one day...i need to explain my boiler isnt big enough to support more than 2 people living here and im a bit worried what its like with 4 people round.

They dont speak any english which is why im worried about the security aspect but as someone has pointed out i will detail my housemate with all the information (not that she doesnt already know but i will reinforce).

They will be sleeping in her room and her on the couch i THINK. Thing is thier daughter (my housemate) will be at work for most of those days (9-6 more or less.....) so really wont spend all that much time with her....they will just be living in my house during the day and yes shes planning to lend them the keys....

Argh, well like i just said im gonna grin and bear it. Although im probably going to limit visitors to weekends from now on
    Yeah go on, be a ****. Because her parents are going to come to the UK, spend all their time in your house and make your life hell for a week.

ReputationRep:
    I am lucky enough to be a landlord and live with my lodger. We get on really well.

We live in a 2 bed apartment. She wants her parents to come stay here for a few days whilst we are both working (we work at the same uni) and i'm not so happy about this for a number of reasons....

Its a 2 bed apartment and too small for 4 people!
    I like my space and a quiet home to come back to, i dont want to be walking on eggshells around my own home
    They dont speak english which makes it awkward
    More people coming in and out = more chance of doors/windows left open and alarms not turned on - i own literally all the stuff in the house, so its a personal worry.

Whats the best way of going about this? we are friends and i dont want to upset - her parents have booked flights and everything but im not sure if they have the money etc for a hotel for a few days......argh, i dont want things to become strained between us
    HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like starting a new poll.

ReputationRep:
    HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like starting a new poll.
    hello....?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah go on, be a ****. Because her parents are going to come to the UK, spend all their time in your house and make your life hell for a week.
    No its just a rule which i can lay down. Would you let strangers sit in your house all day long who you dont know/trust? We work long hours at uni so its not like her parents can do much (they speak no english). I would prefer for my housematr not to give keys to my HOME to someone i dont know whilst she is out. Also, insurance wise i have checked, and there are issues with this.

Please dont be so rude. Id be suprised if you were much different when you get your own brand new house which youve paid for ith your own money and hard work.....yes maybe im over protective but i think im bordering on the side of sensible

ReputationRep:
    ...you have a lodger, you have to deal with these issues sharing you home which means that they can enjoy it as well as you. It is her home as well as yours.
    I think you are not bordering on the side of sensible.
    they are her parents, she can write instructions in her native langauge, they are not stupid so can stick by them, like they do in their own home.
    Her parents can visit the city like other tourists.
    Actually I have and my friends have let me have people in they do not know. Friends are different then FAMILY!!! Have you actually spoken to your housemate?

ReputationRep:
    BTW if your boiler is so **** they can shower when you are at work, no doubt they will be jet lagged anyway.
    The parents are here to see their daughter, she works longer hours, they just want to spent time with their daughter. What is the problem??? You think her behaviour will change when they are here?
    Can you not just let them use the living room for a few hours just so the poor girl can spend time with her family??? Hope your parents dont move and your landlord says they can not stay at yours.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.