The Student Room Group

Passport countersignature

I cannot find anyone who will sign my passport for me i have tried everyone i know and still no one will do it for me, is it possible to bypass this step or maybe there are other people who may sign for me?
Original post by kyky11
I cannot find anyone who will sign my passport for me i have tried everyone i know and still no one will do it for me, is it possible to bypass this step or maybe there are other people who may sign for me?

no.I think gps can do it fo ryou.
Original post by Kutie Karen

Amazing, never knew GPS could sign passports.
Reply 3

I have tried my GP but they dont do them they said, same for my dentist.
Original post by kyky11

A teacher? A librarian? I've been through this situation so don't worry, are any on the official list applicable? https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories
Reply 5
Original post by Elisabeth Hughes
A teacher? A librarian? I've been through this situation so don't worry, are any on the official list applicable? https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories

I Have tried asking a few of my teachers but the two I managed to ask were unable to unfortunately, I was planning to ask additional teachers but because of the summer holidays the school is currently closed and any emails I send to them wont go through.
Nothing on the list applies to anyone I have known personally for 2 years, I've even tried some old friends who aren't recognised and they ignored me sadly.
Most GPs will do it for a charge. If yours doesn't you might need to see if a local solicitor can help.

Original post by Other_Owl
Amazing, never knew GPS could sign passports.

Original post by kyky11
I have tried my GP but they dont do them they said, same for my dentist.

Doctors can't countersign passports (unless they are a friend). From the gov.uk website:

Your countersignatory cannot:
work for HM Passport Office
be a doctor, unless they state that they know you well (for example they’re a good friend) and that they recognise you easily from your photo

There is a long list of accepted occupations here:

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kyky11
I Have tried asking a few of my teachers but the two I managed to ask were unable to unfortunately, I was planning to ask additional teachers but because of the summer holidays the school is currently closed and any emails I send to them wont go through.
Nothing on the list applies to anyone I have known personally for 2 years, I've even tried some old friends who aren't recognised and they ignored me sadly.

Have you done any after-school activities or sports where the course leader might be able to sign? Think about your neighbours - what do they do? Even if they don't know you well, they only have to certify that your photo is a true likeness.
Original post by normaw
Doctors can't countersign passports (unless they are a friend). From the gov.uk website:

Your countersignatory cannot:
work for HM Passport Office
be a doctor, unless they state that they know you well (for example they’re a good friend) and that they recognise you easily from your photo

There is a long list of accepted occupations here:

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories

okay. My gp knows me but not as a friend as I have been a patient there for a while. Does that work?
okay. My gp knows me but not as a friend as I have been a patient there for a while. Does that work?

You can ask your GP, but they might not be prepared to do this. If you've seen your GP regularly they might do this. But the key thing is that they have to know you -- as the guidance suggests, if someone showed them a photo of you, would they be able to name you?

Even before Covid, I maybe saw a GP once a year, and hardly ever the same one. That's a clear example of where a GP would (and indeed should) decline to sign.
Asking your parents friends and neighbours may work? They have probably known you for a while and may be in the correct professions?

Quick Reply

Latest