The Student Room Group

Can I be kicked off of my course if I don’t submit anything for a module resit

Hi everyone. I’m a first year and I study architecture undergrad at cardiff. Which is all coursework. Unfortunately I have the classic case of being overwhelmed and unable to arrange my life at university, which was accentuated by suffering from a family death during the first few months of being there. I had one module (80 credits) but had failed two modules, both 20 credits, but was able to resubmit one in the august resit period which I have an extenuating circumstance for. But put the other on the back burner and currently have no work for the other 20 credit module. I am aware that I will have to retake the year but am worried that might be withdrawn from the course as I’m unable submit anything, as at this point i have nothing to submit. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
What does your course/student handbook say?
Like the comment before me, i think the best thing to do is to read the degree or module handbook, as mine always had a segment about exams, resits, deferrals and failures. it sounds like your circumstances really affected you (sorry :frown: for that). I don't think they'll automatically withdraw you from your degree but you might have a disciplinary panel meeting or something, where you'd probably be asked your reasons for failure and/or inability to submit assignments for your modules. Before it gets to that stage, if you're really struggling, always try and reach out to your module leader or head of faculty because it always looks and feels better to talk to them first before they take disciplinary action against you <3
Original post by PQ
What does your course/student handbook say?

Thank you for your reply. This is all I have been able to find so I hope this helps:

‘If a student has not achieved sufficient credits to progress or resit, the student will be permitted to repeat failed module(s) during the following
academic session provided they have not failed more credits than in the rule adopted by their School.’

There are 3 repeat rules listed, ranging from 60-100 failed credits. Luckily this is more than I would fail with the one non-submitted module and the other that I did, if I happened to fail it (40 all together)

I’ve struggled to find anything regarding policy on non-submissions though
Reply 4
By the regs you have cited, you'd still progress (but you'd also need to recover the credits next year, which only prolongs your predicament).
Thank you so much this has honestly helped me so much as I am a big worrier. I’m going to do my absolute best to focus myself next year and I think that getting the right support inside aswell as outside of my study will help also.

Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your reply. This is all I have been able to find so I hope this helps:

‘If a student has not achieved sufficient credits to progress or resit, the student will be permitted to repeat failed module(s) during the following
academic session provided they have not failed more credits than in the rule adopted by their School.’

There are 3 repeat rules listed, ranging from 60-100 failed credits. Luckily this is more than I would fail with the one non-submitted module and the other that I did, if I happened to fail it (40 all together)

I’ve struggled to find anything regarding policy on non-subm

Original post by frioleras
Like the comment before me, i think the best thing to do is to read the degree or module handbook, as mine always had a segment about exams, resits, deferrals and failures. it sounds like your circumstances really affected you (sorry :frown: for that). I don't think they'll automatically withdraw you from your degree but you might have a disciplinary panel meeting or something, where you'd probably be asked your reasons for failure and/or inability to submit assignments for your modules. Before it gets to that stage, if you're really struggling, always try and reach out to your module leader or head of faculty because it always looks and feels better to talk to them first before they take disciplinary action against you <3
Original post by gjd800
By the regs you have cited, you'd still progress (but you'd also need to recover the credits next year, which only prolongs your predicament).

Thank you for your help, I totally accept having to retake my year and hopefully this will give be a much better chance to grasp the whole course and progress to 2nd year confidently, if all goes well and I keep myself in check
Does anyone know how many chances a university gives? For example imagine if someone keeps failing the same module?
Original post by MissCarter786
Does anyone know how many chances a university gives? For example imagine if someone keeps failing the same module?

It depends on the regs of your specific uni and course.
Original post by Admit-One
It depends on the regs of your specific uni and course.

Yeah because I was wondering what would happen if someone keeps failing the same module over and over again.

At first I thought they had unlimited attempts to reattempt, but looking at this thread I do believe there must be some sort of policy for this too.
Yeah because I was wondering what would happen if someone keeps failing the same module over and over again.

At first I thought they had unlimited attempts to reattempt, but looking at this thread I do believe there must be some sort of policy for this too.

It usually tops out at two resits.
(edited 1 year ago)

I think in most cases it'll be capped at 2/3 retakes, but you need to check your student handbook or ask your department.
Original post by Admit-One
I think in most cases it'll be capped at 2/3 retakes, but you need to check your student handbook or ask your department.

Ah nice :smile:
Thank you!!
I’ve just graduated so I was trying to find this out of curiosity.

I’ve been told by advisors at the university and my course that if you fail you get one chance to resit in the summer and one final chance to retake it the following year so 3 chances
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been told by advisors at the university and my course that if you fail you get one chance to resit in the summer and one final chance to retake it the following year so 3 chances

Makes so much sense! Thank you for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest