The Student Room Group

A-level confusion

For the past two years or so I have wanted to become a doctor because I loved biology. I have to choose a-levels soon and I am not sure what to pick.Initially I had thought to pick biology(because it is my favourite subject) and two other subjects from either psychology, chemistry or maths(which, I also have come to really enjoy).However, I am worried ofthis combination may not be right ,as it may be a little too challenging. Furthermore, I am not as passionate in chemistry as I was before. Do you guys have any advice on what a-levels I should take as I am confused on my career path? I have chosen these subjects as most are facilitating , I also am not interested to become a psychologist although I may enjoy psychology a -level.
Any advice would be valued.
Post edited automatically
Reply 2
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I should have phrased my question a little more clearly, I am contemplating on taking these 3 of these A-levels because I have wanted to be a doctor for around two years.However, after some research I am confused of whether a path in medicine is right for me. Doctors do not get too much free time or holidays to travel and the course is pretty long so I am worried whether I would want to do it in the future or even in a year considering my interest in chemistry is dropping. Would it be worth taking three difficult a-levels in order to have a chance to get into a medical school or perhaps get another career, considering they are facilitating subjects? Or should I pick something a little easier?
Original post by Alice0500
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I should have phrased my question a little more clearly, I am contemplating on taking these 3 of these A-levels because I have wanted to be a doctor for around two years.However, after some research I am confused of whether a path in medicine is right for me. Doctors do not get too much free time or holidays to travel and the course is pretty long so I am worried whether I would want to do it in the future or even in a year considering my interest in chemistry is dropping. Would it be worth taking three difficult a-levels in order to have a chance to get into a medical school or perhaps get another career, considering they are facilitating subjects? Or should I pick something a little easier?

If you're interested in a medical job then you could do a different degree:
- Biomedical science
- Biomedical engineering
- Nursing
- Midwifery
- Dentistry
- Vet Medicine
- Pharmaceutical sciences
Original post by Alice0500
For the past two years or so I have wanted to become a doctor because I loved biology. I have to choose a-levels soon and I am not sure what to pick.Initially I had thought to pick biology(because it is my favourite subject) and two other subjects from either psychology, chemistry or maths(which, I also have come to really enjoy).However, I am worried ofthis combination may not be right ,as it may be a little too challenging. Furthermore, I am not as passionate in chemistry as I was before. Do you guys have any advice on what a-levels I should take as I am confused on my career path? I have chosen these subjects as most are facilitating , I also am not interested to become a psychologist although I may enjoy psychology a -level.
Any advice would be valued.

Heya! It's completely ok to feel confused :smile: I changed my mind about 30 times before picking what I want to do in the future. I really wanted to be a doctor or vet as well but after doing research I changed my mind and wanted to do something else entirely. There are tons of other courses/careers you can go with biology. Have you considered microbiology, biochem, vet, nursing, food science or even pharmaceuticals as an option?

I'm currently a pharmaceutical student at UCL and really enjoying it (though it's very chemistry based so you might not enjoy it if you don't like chemistry)! If you decide to change your career path in the future then you can easily do so with a master's or during your first year :smile: I did my undergraduate degree in Forensic Science and then switched to pharmaceutical.

I would recommend googling what courses you can do with biology and the other 2 subjects (there are tons of science-related courses out there!) You don't have to stick with just medicine if you think it's not for you but there are tons of other science-related fields that you can go into, especially biology!

Hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply