• View Poll Results: Is he good then ?
    Yay
    65.00%
    Nay
    35.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msd2008)
    ti is better
    Oh god and don't get me started on TI. He's so crap it's unreal. Plain monotone voice, no flair and utterly mundane lyrics, i mean i skipped past his part when listening to My Love, and when listening to Live Your Life, i'm pretty much waiting for Rihanna to come on.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I can see that Lil Wayne can be clever lyrically and has some great beats, but to say that Tha Carter III is real hip hop and better than the brilliant Paper Trail is laughable to me. Even though I'm not the biggest Hip Hop fan (I prefer a few other genres over it like Rock) I do know what is good and what isn't from Old Skool to nowadays. Lil Wayne is a big sell out. I was shocked to see that Tha Carter III has sold so many copies (the most of all albums this year). It's not a good album, too many fillers against some good tracks. I just see this as another branch off Hip Hop. Autotune, wtf? Which idiot started it off? Was it T-Pain? I don't mind it on a few songs but over a complete album it shows little musical ability with vocals, if any. Autotune gets rid of the real rapping, and replaces some ridiculous sound hence why i don't believe it to be real hip hop.

I would be surprised if Jay-Z said that, but then again I never heard Tha Carter I or II so wouldn't know what to compare to.

ReputationRep:
    Lil Wayne is laughable, Full Stop...

ReputationRep:
    im undecided about him.. he makes SOME good tracks like lollipop and A milli.. but hes just plain annoying on the track 'Swagger like us'.. well his verse is annoying anyway and that autotune thing is getting outta control all over hip hop now.. i think is going to get to a point when its strange when you DONT hear someone using the autotone in their tracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf.T)
    im undecided about him.. he makes SOME good tracks like lollipop and A milli.. but hes just plain annoying on the track 'Swagger like us'.. well his verse is annoying anyway and that autotune thing is getting outta control all over hip hop now.. i think is going to get to a point when its strange when you DONT hear someone using the autotone in their tracks.
    Funnily enough i think he gives the best verse in Swagga Like Us and I do love T.I. and Jay-Z! I forgot about A Milli, do really like that too, does psych you up well! Other than a couple of other songs on that album, he is poor and very overrated without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Lol, I can see that Lil Wayne can be clever lyrically and has some great beats, but to say that Tha Carter III is real hip hop and better than the brilliant Paper Trail is laughable to me. Even though I'm not the biggest Hip Hop fan (I prefer a few other genres over it like Rock) I do know what is good and what isn't from Old Skool to nowadays. Lil Wayne is a big sell out. I was shocked to see that Tha Carter III has sold so many copies (the most of all albums this year). It's not a good album, too many fillers against some good tracks. I just see this as another branch off Hip Hop. Autotune, wtf? Which idiot started it off? Was it T-Pain? I don't mind it on a few songs but over a complete album it shows little musical ability with vocals, if any. Autotune gets rid of the real rapping, and replaces some ridiculous sound hence why i don't believe it to be real hip hop.

I would be surprised if Jay-Z said that, but then again I never heard Tha Carter I or II so wouldn't know what to compare to.
    I have heard all the albums in question, to me, Tha carter III is the best of all. I can see WHY wayne didnt sell that many copies of carter I or II, he was still mainly raw hip hop. And how come carter III is not hip hop? :/, well rap, whatever people wanna call it. How has Lil Wayne sold out?!?! You said yourself you hardly listened to him, so how can you judge that he has sold out? Paper trail is good, dont get me wrong, but not a patch on the carter III. Even Trevor Nelson doesn't think it's as good as carter III :confused:.

AND AS I SAID, HOW MANY TRACKS HAVE AUTOTUNE ON CARTER III?!?!?! Probably 2 - 3 out of 16 on the carter III :/. So he isnt an autotune genius like T-Pain.

3 Peat - No autotune
    A Milli - No autotune
    Comfotable - No autotune
    Mr Carter - No autotune
    Phone Home - No autotune
    Mrs Officer - No Autotune

Do you want me to go on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    I have heard all the albums in question, to me, Tha carter III is the best of all. I can see WHY wayne didnt sell that many copies of carter I or II, he was still mainly raw hip hop. And how come carter III is not hip hop? :/, well rap, whatever people wanna call it. How has Lil Wayne sold out?!?! You said yourself you hardly listened to him, so how can you judge that he has sold out? Paper trail is good, dont get me wrong, but not a patch on the carter III. Even Trevor Nelson doesn't think it's as good as carter III :confused:.

AND AS I SAID, HOW MANY TRACKS HAVE AUTOTUNE ON CARTER III?!?!?! Probably 2 - 3 out of 16 on the carter III :/. So he isnt an autotune genius like T-Pain.

3 Peat - No autotune
    A Milli - No autotune
    Comfotable - No autotune
    Mr Carter - No autotune
    Phone Home - No autotune
    Mrs Officer - No Autotune

Do you want me to go on?
    If you want lol. I don't care what you think. I have my opinion on the matter and it won't get changed. You have your opinion too, great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    If you want lol. I don't care what you think. I have my opinion on the matter and it won't get changed. You have your opinion too, great
    I'm not looking to change your opinion, just that what you base it on is a bit bizzare .i.e. not knowing much about Wayne's other albums and calling him a sell out for no reason.

And yes, it's great that I have an opinion

ReputationRep:
    lol oh stop pretending u all know about hiphop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)
    Anyone think he's good ?

I dislike him as an artist because he has no flow especially with that giggling and **** mid track... and he synths his vocals more than a friggin robot... T pain, in my view a similar styled artist, at least has rhythm, even though the synth gets boring. Because all my friends with similar music tastes have pissed off to uni, i can only assume that my view reflects all of yours

Or am i alone in my opinion, (as well as friendswise )?

Goddamn this forum is slow

I like him. He is great. You are just delusional.

At the end of the day he makes a killing so he must be doing something right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    I'm not looking to change your opinion, just that what you base it on is a bit bizzare .i.e. not knowing much about Wayne's other albums and calling him a sell out for no reason.

And yes, it's great that I have an opinion
    I said he is a bit of a sell out because his albums has sold the most amount of copies this year. More than AC/DC unbelievably too.

ReputationRep:
    None of you know anything about hip hop so all of u please button your lips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spraggy)
    Enlighten us on some hip hop then :p:

I won't pretend that I'm an expert at Hip Hop cos i'm not. I've tried to listen to much of the stuff around from Old Skool to Mainstream of today plus a few others that have been brought to my attention. As said I prefer the many different types of Rock over Hip Hop and my music taste is so varied these days I will practically listen to anything (which is good of course). :yep: I try to have a basic understanding of all the different modern genres around in the current day (apart from Dance, and repetitive patterned things like that, I might one day, who knows?) because I think it's important to know all types of music and it's very interesting to see where influences comes from (Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, the many Rock bands from 60s or so onwards)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hes coooool.

ReputationRep:
    ummm
    C2 >> C3.
    LMAO at wayne having the best verse on SLU though.
    although i like him, a lot of the time his **** is unlistenable and this is one of those cases.
    on the track, TI >> jay >> kanye >> wayne.

(Original post by spraggy)
    lol, wales.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone rate ludacris really high as well?

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day he sold a million albums in a week- hes obviously good

ReputationRep:
    sales do not dertermine if somebody is good , bad films , bad music can sell alot. No point of this thread in a sense because some people like him some dont it just about whether you like his tracks. Personally i belive C2,C3 were very gd , better rappers definetly but in terms of commecial rap he is up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aMAXin)

lol, wales.
    I'm english but im at uni in wales you douchebag. This is one of the most pathetic, racist comments ive seen on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    tha carter III was the most overrated album in a long time, IMO. wayne is a good rapper, he's fun and so are his lyrics (it gets me every time he says "don't play in her garden, and don't smell her flower" ) but he can never measure up to the greats. Listen to mos def and then tell me lil wayne is the greatest rapper ever

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.