The Student Room Group

freshers after first year

Do most second / third years attend freshers and if not do most people move in the weekend before teaching starts, before freshers or whenever their contract starts?
I don’t know when they move in but everyone in second and third year can attend Freshers Week
Original post by Anonymous
Do most second / third years attend freshers and if not do most people move in the weekend before teaching starts, before freshers or whenever their contract starts?

Hi,
Many second/third years get involved in freshers week. It is a good time to find new societies and attend come and try sessions.
The freshers fairs also usually have freebies and free food which usually attracts students to attend.
Moving in dates are usually specific to when tenancy agreements starts. Most students like to be moved in and settled before the semester and classes start but it is very much a personal decision.

Catherine :smile: - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Good morning!
During my second year i moved into my shared house when the contract started (about 2 weeks before freshers). I found this a bit too early in hindsight so for my third year (this year) im going to move the weekend before freshers. I attended some freshers events during second year like the societies fair and course talks but didn't go to anything clubbing related. Some unis let everyone into fresehrs events whereas some like mine last year put on seperate events for different years (if you want to go to them).
I would recommend being around for atleast on week before uni starts to get unpacked and settled before you start work. :smile:

Hope that helps,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
You can go to freshers events in your second and third year. You are a student still after all! And you can now go to these events with friends that you have made, which is fun.

Most people move into their accommodation when their contract starts, but you don't have to. It can be good to at least go and set up your room though, and set up in the house when your tenancy starts, even if you don't want to move in for another week or two, so that it's done and out of the way, ready for you when you do decide to stay.

- Rosie

Hey Anon!

Yeah, second and third years can still attend freshers week. The events during freshers are obviously more intended for first year students, but they are events open and welcome to all students too :smile: So, freshers week is always a good way to meet new people and make new friends regardless of whether you're a new first year, or a third year heading into the final part of your degree.

As for when people move in, it's usually when the contract starts. In first year with Uni accommodation it's usually over one or two days just before freshers week, so it can be quite hectic! But then in second/third year, most students go into private accommodation, so again it depends when the contract starts!

I hope that helps, if you have any other questions please do let me know :smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni

Hi,
Typically this depends on when individuals tenancies start m, however usually they do begin a few weeks before freshers week. I would definitely recommend getting involved in freshers week even as a second or third year as it’s a great way to catch up with friends and find new societies to join. While there may be less events aimed at the older years most you will still be able to attend.
I hope this helps,
Esme (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending