Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On the website, it says that the Pure Mathematics course is 'Fast Track'. What does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    you skip first year, i think

ReputationRep:
    Fast track means that you gain 60 advanced standing credits [one semesters worth]. Essentially you skip the introductory maths course MT1001 and take MT1002 in first semester and end up with an MMath in 4 years instead of 5.

ReputationRep:
    Plus you have to take 150 credits/year in 3rd and 4th year (rather than 120 like most other programmes)

ReputationRep:
    To clarify, you don't have to do the fast track course. You can do the MMath courses over 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    To clarify, you don't have to do the fast track course. You can do the MMath courses over 5 years.
    On the other courses though, it says either Mathematics or Fast Track Mathematics (or similar), but for Pure Mathematics it only says Fast Track. That's what confuses me. Does this mean you have to take in in 4 years?

ReputationRep:
    It seems very odd indeed that they'd only have a fast track option If you want to be completely certain, it might be worth phoning and asking.

...you've got me confused now... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    you can always put down for fast track and disguss it with your adviser of studies!

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly certain I know someone doing MMath Pure Mathematics over 5 years, so it's possible if you want to do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.