The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Economics, Politics, & International Studies

Hello everyone, I am interested in applying to Economics, Politics, & International Studies.
Is there anybody who is currently studying this course at Warwick University, or anybody who is applying/ has applied?

Please could you tell me what A-Level subjects you have studied/ are studying, what grades you have (only if you want to share).

Are you/ have you done any relevant work experience, if so, please share details?

Thank you :smile:
Hello @Black1vy :smile:

I haven't done this course myself but I do know a thing or two about these courses. Realistically work experience will help your application but most of your coursemates may not have any. More important would be your personal statement, and demonstrating on your personal statement that you have done some wider reading / supercurricular activities.

Likely A Levels coming into this would be: Maths, History, Politics, Sociology, English, Statistics.

What I would encourage you to do is research other universities that offer similar courses. Economics is offered by a large number of institutions. Pol & IR is offered by a large number of institutions. Quite a small number will offer both in combination.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Hello @Black1vy :smile:

I haven't done this course myself but I do know a thing or two about these courses. Realistically work experience will help your application but most of your coursemates may not have any. More important would be your personal statement, and demonstrating on your personal statement that you have done some wider reading / supercurricular activities.

Likely A Levels coming into this would be: Maths, History, Politics, Sociology, English, Statistics.

What I would encourage you to do is research other universities that offer similar courses. Economics is offered by a large number of institutions. Pol & IR is offered by a large number of institutions. Quite a small number will offer both in combination.

Hello @04MR17 :smile: (I don't know how you did the hyperlinked @ID thing... please can you share? :smile:)
Thank you for responding :biggrin:
Ahhh yes, thank you for the suggestions. Do you by any chance have any examples of supercurricular activities I could pursue?

For A Level subjects, do you think Math would be better than say Economics or Further Mathematics?

The A Levels I am thinking of studying are: Economics, Politics, and History

Do you think this combination is too essay-heavy?

What if I chose to do an MFL e.g. Italian? instead of e.g. History?

Or, if I chose to do Physics instead of History?

Thank you for letting me pick your brains :smile:
Out of interest, what did you study at uni and where?

Thank you
Original post by Black1vy
Hello @04MR17 :smile: (I don't know how you did the hyperlinked @ID thing... please can you share? :smile:)
Thank you for responding :biggrin:
Ahhh yes, thank you for the suggestions. Do you by any chance have any examples of supercurricular activities I could pursue?

For A Level subjects, do you think Math would be better than say Economics or Further Mathematics?

The A Levels I am thinking of studying are: Economics, Politics, and History

Do you think this combination is too essay-heavy?

What if I chose to do an MFL e.g. Italian? instead of e.g. History?

Or, if I chose to do Physics instead of History?

Thank you for letting me pick your brains :smile:
Out of interest, what did you study at uni and where?

Thank you

Hiya, so if you just type @ and then slowly type my username 04MR17 it should appear in a list. :smile:

So I used the term supercurricular. This is a term used to mean something that is an extension of your studies in a subject. Rather than extra-curricular, which is often activities done sideways from your studies. For example: Duke of Edinburgh is extra curricular; reading Margaret Thatcher's autobiography is supercurricular if you are studying politics. Listening to a video lecture by Sir Ian Diamond about social statistics is supercurricular. I'm talking about something that is connected to your studies in a subject, but is beyond the curriculum that you are studying. So if you're doing History A-Level and applying to a History degree (my personal story - ended up at Keele, who have a solid IR department), I read "In Europe" by Geert Mak. Nothing to do with my A Level topics really, but a brilliant book and something I then included in my personal statement.

If you have the option to do A Level economics, this may help you for an economics course. For lots of applicants A Level economics won't be available to them and A Level maths is their next best option. So universities are often flexible about this. I strongly recommend you look at some university websites for economics courses and see what they have listed in the "Entry Requirements".

Economics, Politics and History is a good combo, this should mean you can access most if not all courses in Economics, and certainly all university courses in Politics & IR. Selecting an MFL A-Level wouldn't usually affect that, and may well be favourable if you are interested in particular career industries (e.g. intelligence work). History and Politics are fairly interchangeable in terms of the knowledge and skills they can equip you with for a Pol & IR uni course.

Glad you're appreciating this, I'm enjoying your thread. :smile:

MR
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya, so if you just type @ and then slowly type my username 04MR17 it should appear in a list. :smile:

So I used the term supercurricular. This is a term used to mean something that is an extension of your studies in a subject. Rather than extra-curricular, which is often activities done sideways from your studies. For example: Duke of Edinburgh is extra curricular; reading Margaret Thatcher's autobiography is supercurricular if you are studying politics. Listening to a video lecture by Sir Ian Diamond about social statistics is supercurricular. I'm talking about something that is connected to your studies in a subject, but is beyond the curriculum that you are studying. So if you're doing History A-Level and applying to a History degree (my personal story - ended up at Keele, who have a solid IR department), I read "In Europe" by Geert Mak. Nothing to do with my A Level topics really, but a brilliant book and something I then included in my personal statement.

If you have the option to do A Level economics, this may help you for an economics course. For lots of applicants A Level economics won't be available to them and A Level maths is their next best option. So universities are often flexible about this. I strongly recommend you look at some university websites for economics courses and see what they have listed in the "Entry Requirements".

Economics, Politics and History is a good combo, this should mean you can access most if not all courses in Economics, and certainly all university courses in Politics & IR. Selecting an MFL A-Level wouldn't usually affect that, and may well be favourable if you are interested in particular career industries (e.g. intelligence work). History and Politics are fairly interchangeable in terms of the knowledge and skills they can equip you with for a Pol & IR uni course.

Glad you're appreciating this, I'm enjoying your thread. :smile:

MR

Aaah I see, thank you @04MR17 :biggrin: not just for the @ID tip, but your extensive responses and helpful advice. I really need them :biggrin:

I certainly am beginning to compile a list of supercurricular reading I should do, which is becoming extensive. And the list is exciting me, but at the same time, I am beginning to wonder whether I will have the time to read all of them properly and study and do everything else...

Also, part of my supercurriculars (I have been doing a bit of research today, prompted by your advice (thank you again :biggrin:)), I thought it could be cool to observe a UN conference, but alas, they aren't held in London :frown: Why not, I cannot fathom... I think London is as a good a city as any other.

I feel like I need to do something super impressive to make my application stand out, because from my research, this course at Warwick is super duper competitive. I like competition like any other, but I need to make sure I have a super strong application to stand a chance, right?

Anyway...
I do think that the E P H A Levels is a pretty good combo; however, I am a bit worried that it would be too essay-heavy... and therefore hard on me :colondollar:. Hence, me contemplating taking an MFL A Level instead of one of those listed. Perhaps I could replace it with history (I do like history btw) and 'study' History through reading instead and mention it in my personal statement? I know you have pretty much talked about this in your previous message, but I am one of those that sometimes need multiple confirmations X) Or, perhaps the E P H combo isn't so bad? What do you think?

Thank You for making this thread enjoyable :biggrin: (I honestly thought I wouldn't get any responses).

Yours in thought,
BI
Aaah I see, thank you @04MR17 :biggrin: not just for the @ID tip, but your extensive responses and helpful advice. I really need them :biggrin:

I certainly am beginning to compile a list of supercurricular reading I should do, which is becoming extensive. And the list is exciting me, but at the same time, I am beginning to wonder whether I will have the time to read all of them properly and study and do everything else...

Also, part of my supercurriculars (I have been doing a bit of research today, prompted by your advice (thank you again :biggrin:)), I thought it could be cool to observe a UN conference, but alas, they aren't held in London :frown: Why not, I cannot fathom... I think London is as a good a city as any other.

I feel like I need to do something super impressive to make my application stand out, because from my research, this course at Warwick is super duper competitive. I like competition like any other, but I need to make sure I have a super strong application to stand a chance, right?

Anyway...
I do think that the E P H A Levels is a pretty good combo; however, I am a bit worried that it would be too essay-heavy... and therefore hard on me :colondollar:. Hence, me contemplating taking an MFL A Level instead of one of those listed. Perhaps I could replace it with history (I do like history btw) and 'study' History through reading instead and mention it in my personal statement? I know you have pretty much talked about this in your previous message, but I am one of those that sometimes need multiple confirmations X) Or, perhaps the E P H combo isn't so bad? What do you think?

Thank You for making this thread enjoyable :biggrin: (I honestly thought I wouldn't get any responses).

Yours in thought,
BI

Awww you've very sweet :love:

Re: Long list of supercurriculars - will you ever get through them?
No, you won't :lol: In all of human history I'm not sure anyone has ever completed all the tasks on a for-pleasure to do list. :tongue: Just do as many as you have the time for, but just make sure they add value to your understanding of the world / something specific.

Re: I need to do something super impressive
Not especially, a lot of applicants don't have much disposable income and admissions tutors are always conscious of this. So just because somebody has built a school in Ecuador or circumnavigated the Pyramids of Giza doesn't mean they'll be very good at an economics degree. Going to your local library and picking 3 quite academic texts on a field of your interest works just fine. One of the universities I applied to was Durham (ridiculously competitive for History). The advice given by the History department at the open day was to spend a lot of your P.Statement looking at academic literature. What did you like about A? Why did you find B more convincing? How did C change your perception of the topic? If you were to investigate further, would you look back at A, B or C?

At the end of the day university study is literally learning things based on what academics have said, done, and written down. If you can demonstrate you can do that purely out of your own interest (and not because you'll have an exam on it), that's far more impressive than the stuff that probably sounds a bit cooler.

Re: Essay-heavy A Levels
This is something that's different for everyone so it's hard to advise. I took English Lit and History, both entirely essay based subjects, I didn't have a problem myself but if you are worried then talk to your teachers (either send them a lovely polite email using my guide, or wait until results day).

Spanish A Level actually had the highest drop-out rate in my sixth form! 10 started it in year 12, within a month 6 people had dropped it. :lol: If you have a language that you're interested in don't let that put you off, but I certainly wouldn't describe any MFL subject as an "easier" A Level at all (quite the opposite to be honest). Again, it's a conversation for you and your teachers.

In terms of universities, you can check entry requirements but History and Politics are fairly interchangeable for the skills and knowledge it'll give you to equip you for university study (be that Economics or Pol&IR). Doing just one of them won't mean you'll miss out on something necessary for uni entry. Again, doing them both together isn't a terrible idea though, and studying one will make the other easier.

I'm off to bed now, see you tomorrow,

MR
Reply 6
Hi @04MR17 :hello:,

I'm sorry for my absence or rather the absence of a prompt response :colondollar:
Just came back from Cambridge yesterday. Went punting yesterday, which was super fun, though unfortunately, I didn't get to look around much because I was so focused on trying to move the boat forward, not sideways or backwards etc. I am happy to announce I managed not fall into the water and kept my passengers safe too. However, I was witness to another punter who accidentally decided to take the plunge :eek::biggrin:. However, because I'm not a pro punter, my body was tense the whole time and now my whole body feels like it took a beating. :bricks: Despite that, I'd definitely like to go back again soon :dance:

Aaanyway,
Re: :colondollar: For-pleasure-tasks to-do-list
I know exactly what you mean. It reminds me of a quote, to which the exact words escape me (and Google isn't helping me on this either), but it goes something like this: "There does not seem to be enough time in the day to read all the books I want to read and meet all the people I want to see..." by (can't remember :confused:) I will have to try to prioritise which books to read first I guess and go down the list as much as I can, as you say :smile:

Re: Academic literature is also impressive
Very wise words there @04MR17. I'm glad I don't have to come up with a solution to solve the current world's deepening economic crisis to stand out enough to impress. Your advice certainly brings me some ease, thank you. (I hope I haven't jinxed myself... knocks on wood twice.)

You're a trained teacher, cool! (Frantically checks response so far and previous responses to make sure nothing was rude or too informal :shy2:) Very neat e-Mail guide, thank you for sharing :woo:
It seems I am somewhat an apt pupil for languages. Though, I will still consider my options carefully till the time comes when I have to make the decision, I think I am now leaning towards choosing the Economics, Politics, and History combo. I am not scared of essays and I do like History. :u: And to quench my interest for MFLs, I think I might just do a short course on the side or something similar.

Speaking of not being scared of essays..... please could you give me some tips on the structure of how to write the best essays, how to remember facts and points etc. for exams and any other tips you think might be useful for me to know?

Please could you share with me some more titles of key academic literature that you think I could find useful?

Also, what is your thought on EPQs?

Yours in clearing lactic acid,

BI
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi @04MR17 :hello:,

I'm sorry for my absence or rather the absence of a prompt response :colondollar:
Just came back from Cambridge yesterday. Went punting yesterday, which was super fun, though unfortunately, I didn't get to look around much because I was so focused on trying to move the boat forward, not sideways or backwards etc. I am happy to announce I managed not fall into the water and kept my passengers safe too. However, I was witness to another punter who accidentally decided to take the plunge :eek::biggrin:. However, because I'm not a pro punter, my body was tense the whole time and now my whole body feels like it took a beating. :bricks: Despite that, I'd definitely like to go back again soon :dance:

Aaanyway,
Re: :colondollar: For-pleasure-tasks to-do-list
I know exactly what you mean. It reminds me of a quote, to which the exact words escape me (and Google isn't helping me on this either), but it goes something like this: "There does not seem to be enough time in the day to read all the books I want to read and meet all the people I want to see..." by (can't remember :confused:) I will have to try to prioritise which books to read first I guess and go down the list as much as I can, as you say :smile:

Re: Academic literature is also impressive
Very wise words there @04MR17. I'm glad I don't have to come up with a solution to solve the current world's deepening economic crisis to stand out enough to impress. Your advice certainly brings me some ease, thank you. (I hope I haven't jinxed myself... knocks on wood twice.)

You're a trained teacher, cool! (Frantically checks response so far and previous responses to make sure nothing was rude or too informal :shy2:) Very neat e-Mail guide, thank you for sharing :woo:
It seems I am somewhat an apt pupil for languages. Though, I will still consider my options carefully till the time comes when I have to make the decision, I think I am now leaning towards choosing the Economics, Politics, and History combo. I am not scared of essays and I do like History. :u: And to quench my interest for MFLs, I think I might just do a short course on the side or something similar.

Speaking of not being scared of essays..... please could you give me some tips on the structure of how to write the best essays, how to remember facts and points etc. for exams and any other tips you think might be useful for me to know?

Please could you share with me some more titles of key academic literature that you think I could find useful?

Also, what is your thought on EPQs?

Yours in clearing lactic acid,

BI
Hiya, I've just read your post on my phone on my way back from holiday and I don't want to forget to reply (I have a lot of notifications at the moment).

I want to reply to you with some links about the EPQ, some threads made by @thehistorybore and my guide to Shakespeare that I wrote a long time ago now.

I will say I don't think I can really recommend "key academic literature" because that should be your taste and as mention - I'm a wee bit busy.

Feel free to quote or tag me after 24 hours since this post if I haven't yet replied

MR
Reply 8
Hi 04MR17 :h:

I hope you have had an enjoyable holiday!
Ooh yes please for the links :biggrin:

That's okay :woo: thank you for your previous mentions, I will definitely check them out!

Yours in melting (Aug 2022),

BI
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya, I've just read your post on my phone on my way back from holiday and I don't want to forget to reply (I have a lot of notifications at the moment).

I want to reply to you with some links about the EPQ, some threads made by @thehistorybore and my guide to Shakespeare that I wrote a long time ago now.

I will say I don't think I can really recommend "key academic literature" because that should be your taste and as mention - I'm a wee bit busy.

Feel free to quote or tag me after 24 hours since this post if I haven't yet replied

MR

History:
THB's 'How To Write a Killer History Essay' - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4005981
THB's History Revision Tips - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4006177
English: (I can't remember why this was relevant)
How To Write an English Essay - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4006239
How to tackle Shakespeare Guide - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5329646
EPQ:
Should I take an EPQ? Your Questions Answered - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6154192
Universities and the EPQ: Common Questions - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6158332
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
History:
THB's 'How To Write a Killer History Essay' - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4005981
THB's History Revision Tips - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4006177
English: (I can't remember why this was relevant)
How To Write an English Essay - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4006239
How to tackle Shakespeare Guide - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5329646
EPQ:
Should I take an EPQ? Your Questions Answered - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6154192
Universities and the EPQ: Common Questions - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6158332

Hi @04MR17,

Thank you very much for the threads, I really appreciate them and all your advice.
You are amazing! :biggrin:

Yours gratefully,

BI :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending