The Student Room Group

Am I competitive for the Oxford Oriental Languages course?

Hi I will be applying for oriental languages at oxford
The subjects I am taking are: Spanish, French, Psychology, Business, Polish(It's my native language tho)
My predicted grades from Spanish and French are A* (as well as from Polish but idk if that counts since its my 1st language) and my predicted from Business and Psychology is an A

Furthermore, I have C2 certificates in French Italian Spanish and English (which aint my 1st lang) and I know Russian and Portugese on C1 and German on B2 however I dont have any certificates to confirm that for now.

Besides, I taught spanish to beginners, was accepted into a polyglot association and I had to prove I am proficient in 6 languages to make it there and I was a volunteer at an event called polyglot gathering

How do you rate my chances of getting into Oxford Oriental Languages?
(edited 1 year ago)
I can't see why you wouldn't be competitive for it, at least on paper.

Obviously the interivew (and if applying to a language where it is used, OLAT) will be important, as that will gauge how "teachable" you are in the Oxford tutorial format which is quite unique (and some students who might otherwise do well in the subject might struggle in that environment - so many who don't get an offer are still likely to be able to do very well in their chosen subject outside of Oxford still!).

Which language(s) are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger

Obviously the interivew (and if applying to a language where it is used, OLAT) will be important, as that will gauge how "teachable" you are in the Oxford tutorial format which is quite unique (and some students who might othimma erwise do well in the subject might struggle in that environment - so many who don't get an offer are still likely to be able to do very well in their chosen subject outside of Oxford still!).

imma apply for mandarin
Reply 3

Obviously the interivew (and if applying to a language where it is used, OLAT) will be important, as that will gauge how "teachable" you are in the Oxford tutorial format which is quite unique (and some students who might otherwise do well in the subject might struggle in that environment - so many who don't get an offer are still likely to be able to do very well in their chosen subject outside of Oxford still!).

BTW according to my research the OLAT isnt required in case i take Mandarin. Doest that mean there is no entry test for mandarin? Im asking since its just hard to believe
Original post by Qba69
BTW according to my research the OLAT isnt required in case i take Mandarin. Doest that mean there is no entry test for mandarin? Im asking since its just hard to believe

Yes that would be the case - there are a lot of languages that don't require the OLAT I believe. There are also quite a few other courses at Oxford that don't require an admissions test :smile:
Reply 5

Why a student can do well in subject but struggle in tutorial format? Isn't it providing an added benefit of 1-1 tuition which is quote useful for languages?
Original post by Lanalon
Why a student can do well in subject but struggle in tutorial format? Isn't it providing an added benefit of 1-1 tuition which is quote useful for languages?

In theory yes but it's a very specific and intensive format of teaching, and not all students respond well to being out on the spot in small group teaching like that.

Quick Reply

Latest