The Student Room Group

Is heaven real?

Do you think heaven is real or is it a bunch of make-believe? Just wondering as I'm Christian but sometimes think that this is all there is.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe. :iiam:
I'm an atheist and think it unlikely, but until I either do or don't go there I shan't know.
Original post by Miss student
Do you think heaven is real or is it a bunch of make-believe? Just wondering as I'm Christian but sometimes think that this is all there is.

Yeah heaven real.
I'm undecided what I believe about Heaven tbh (am Roman Catholic). I do think it exists but I don't envision it being a place as such, but more a state of being? :iiam:
The reason that the Verve song "The drugs don't work" makes me cry so much is that no matter how much I want it, I don't think heaven exists and no, I'll never see those who've died again. I wish it did though.
It’s real each time my gob is filled with chocolate.
I’ve been to heaven and can confirm it’s real.
It depends on a person's beliefs. Personally I don't think heaven is real as I've not yet seen convincing evidence demonstrating that it is.
Yes, I believe that heaven is real.
Heaven is every mouthful of a goey chocolate cake with vanilla and truffle ice cream, topped with sprinkles of edible gold.
Reply 10
Original post by Miss student

Hi Miss, you may not be a Christian according to God's definition . . .

Paul met people near Ephesus who professed faith, but that doesn't mean they were Christians!

Acts 19:1-2: "finding certain disciples, he said to them, Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?"

So, what is God's definition?

Romans 8:8-9 " . . .they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.

Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

When you receive the Holy Spirit you receive power (Acts 1v8),
you receive a foretaste of heaven (Ephesians 1:13-4)!

In fact, receiving the Holy Spirit is receiving Jesus in the true sense (John 14v20), the Life not just words!

In the bible, it was known precisely when people received the Holy Spirit!
(Acts 2v4, 10:44-48)

. .. . have you actually received the same?

I'm guessing not, hence your question!
Doesn't make any logical sense. Neither does hell. Eternal satisfaction? Wouldn't I get bored of it? Eternal torture because of one thing I did decades ago? Wouldn't I get used to it?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by NJA
Hi Miss, you may not be a Christian according to God's definition . . .

Paul met people near Ephesus who professed faith, but that doesn't mean they were Christians!

Acts 19:1-2: "finding certain disciples, he said to them, Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?"

So, what is God's definition?

Romans 8:8-9 " . . .they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.

Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

When you receive the Holy Spirit you receive power (Acts 1v8),
you receive a foretaste of heaven (Ephesians 1:13-4)!

In fact, receiving the Holy Spirit is receiving Jesus in the true sense (John 14v20), the Life not just words!

In the bible, it was known precisely when people received the Holy Spirit!
(Acts 2v4, 10:44-48)

. .. . have you actually received the same?

I'm guessing not, hence your question!

Omg lol

As a former Christian, I can only laugh at your post. Who exactly are you to imply someone isn’t a ‘true Christian’? It’s so laughably pretentious.

Also, how would you know if someone (including yourself) has ‘received the spirit’. I’m sure you could enlighten us all, thereby making it perhaps possible for the OP to answer your question and maybe it’d also make your post convincing, rather than ludicrous.
A lot of the people who say heaven isn't real are the same people who wish they had gone to a school with a Sorting Hat.
I'm not religious I don't think it's real at least not in the way people think people who have died have described many different things a common one is being in a meadow and speaking to a loved one who has passed away and there is a gate if you go through the gate you can't go back another one is a peaceful blackness. I personally don't know but being an atheist I don't think so.
No it's not real.
It's a nice idea but there's no heaven, or indeed hell for that matter (i would much rather prefer the latter existed).
Reply 16
Original post by TypicalNerd

Also, how would you know if someone (including yourself) has ‘received the spirit’. I’m sure you could enlighten us all, thereby making it perhaps possible for the OP to answer your question and maybe it’d also make your post convincing, rather than ludicrous.

In Acts we see that the early church knew precisely when people received God's Spirit!

. . . by the sign of speaking in tongues - Acts 2v4, 33; 10v44-48

This also explains how they knew the believers in Acts 8:5-15 had not yet received the Holy Spirit.

Newsflash: nothing has changed!
Original post by NJA
In Acts we see that the early church knew precisely when people received God's Spirit!

. . . by the sign of speaking in tongues - Acts 2v4, 33; 10v44-48

This also explains how they knew the believers in Acts 8:5-15 had not yet received the Holy Spirit.

Newsflash: nothing has changed!

That’s the people in described in the book of acts, not those currently alive… unless you are in excess of 2000 years old, which I highly doubt.

Also, ‘the sign of speaking in tounges’ isn’t particularly convincing. By that, I presume you mean when the apostles miraculously started speaking in a range of other languages (glossolalia) to spread the ‘good news’ to a very large congregation.

I highly doubt all Christians have suddenly started speaking a totally unfamiliar language fluently on the spot. If this is what it takes to become a ‘true Christian’, then there surely must only be a tiny handful of them.

I remain unconvinced.
In this world, we're just beginning to understand the miracle of living.
it is like the Summit of Success Mountain but with better furniture ?

:hmmmm2:

tibetlen1.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending