Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unzipme)
    /hospital terms if you prefer.

Can anybody clear this up for me; the difference between the following types of patients:

1. Elective patients
    2. Day Case patients
    3. Emergency patients

Thank you :cool:
    In relation to theatres anyway...

1. Patients on a scheduled/planned operating list
    2. Patients on a scheduled/planned procedure list for smaller procedures e.g. endoscopy/colonoscpy who are unlikely to need to stay in hosp overnight
    3. Depending on state of patient, may interrupt a scheduled list to have an emergency procedure, or be placed on the end of a normal list. May be done out of normal hours.

ReputationRep:
    /hospital terms if you prefer.

Can anybody clear this up for me; the difference between the following types of patients:

1. Elective patients
    2. Day Case patients
    3. Emergency patients

Thank you :cool:
    Assuming your talking about surgical patients...

1. Elective patients are scheduled to come in for operations that are not urgent e.g knee replacement
    2. Day case patients come in for an operation and leave the same day e.g. knee arthroscopy
    3. Emergency patients come in unexpectedly and need an urgent operation e.g. fractured patella needing wiring

ReputationRep:
    do you mean for visiting or working?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this!

Is it possible to guess whether a ward that accepts these types of patients, would definitely be open 24 hours?

I realise I sound like a complete noob! Are all hospital wards of this sort open 24-hours or possibly not?

:o:
    Which type?

From what I have seen at work, I would imagine both elective and emergency would be open (as in staff working and patients present) 24/7 as patients will be there 24/7. Don't think you can visit at odd hours though. Day case units would be open during working hours/when patients are there. It might differ between hospitals.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    it may or may not have terminally ill patients depending on who has been admitted why?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.