The Student Room Group

Is 157 pounds overweight for a 14 year old

I am 14 and weigh around 157.6 i lost weight since i used to be 185 and it took me about 3 months to achieve that goal but i want to reach 101 pounds but am wondering if thats too much weight loss i've never been that skinny ever before (any advice of what weight is healthy for a 14 year old girl) :smile: Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by MalakTaimouri
I am 14 and weigh around 157.6 i lost weight since i used to be 185 and it took me about 3 months to achieve that goal but i want to reach 101 pounds but am wondering if thats too much weight loss i've never been that skinny ever before (any advice of what weight is healthy for a 14 year old girl) :smile: Thanks.

Hi, firstly you are beautiful no matter what you weigh and if you are looking to loose weight make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and in a healthy way. Don't ever feel pressured to look a certain way to please other people. The healthy weight for a 14 year old girl is around 112 pounds (but that is just a piece of data that shouldn't make you feel bad about the weight you are now). My advice for you is to reach a weight that you feel the most comfortable and happy with, but please make sure you do it in a healthy way (if you do want to loose more weight). Look after yourself x
Use a BMI calculator to input your height and weight and then you'll see the healthy weight range.
Original post by leahjf
Hi, firstly you are beautiful no matter what you weigh and if you are looking to loose weight make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and in a healthy way. Don't ever feel pressured to look a certain way to please other people. The healthy weight for a 14 year old girl is around 112 pounds (but that is just a piece of data that shouldn't make you feel bad about the weight you are now). My advice for you is to reach a weight that you feel the most comfortable and happy with, but please make sure you do it in a healthy way (if you do want to loose more weight). Look after yourself x

Thank you so much that is really good advice :smile:
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
Use a BMI calculator to input your height and weight and then you'll see the healthy weight range.

Um.
Original post by MalakTaimouri
Um.

Healthy weight is dependent on both age and height, which body mass index (BMI) takes into account. A 5’7 girl and a 4’11 girl at 14 and at the same weight would have different BMIs, so one girl’s weight could be healthy whereas one girl’s wouldn’t be.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/
Original post by SagaciousSag
Healthy weight is dependent on both age and height, which body mass index (BMI) takes into account. A 5’7 girl and a 4’11 girl at 14 and at the same weight would have different BMIs, so one girl’s weight could be healthy whereas one girl’s wouldn’t be.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

That makes total sense. :smile:
hi im 14 also, how did u lose weight? people keep telling me that i shouldn't try to lose weight bc im still growing but i feel myself becoming slowly obese :confused:
Original post by zuluwarrior7650

BMI isn't reliable for under 18s.
Original post by skullgunk04
BMI isn't reliable for under 18s.

Not reliable for adults. Everyone has different bone and muscle masses.

Quick Reply