The Student Room Group

Transferring out of Girton

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but so be it. I'm an incoming postgrad at Cambridge and I've been pooled... to Girton. There's really no way for me to say this, but I flat out do not want to go there. Like. It keeps me up at night thinking I'm going to be spending 3-4 years there. I'm from a small, isolated village already and it is hell. I have a slight disability which means I can't balance myself on a bike (I've tried, and it always leads to broken bones) and im deathly allergic to basically anything green. So the idea of going from one isolated green village to another is just terrifying. I sent an email to the college but since I haven't started yet I don't know who to talk to about transferring. I also dont really know how to talk to them about it. Advice needed.
Original post by renesslaer
I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but so be it. I'm an incoming postgrad at Cambridge and I've been pooled... to Girton. There's really no way for me to say this, but I flat out do not want to go there. Like. It keeps me up at night thinking I'm going to be spending 3-4 years there. I'm from a small, isolated village already and it is hell. I have a slight disability which means I can't balance myself on a bike (I've tried, and it always leads to broken bones) and im deathly allergic to basically anything green. So the idea of going from one isolated green village to another is just terrifying. I sent an email to the college but since I haven't started yet I don't know who to talk to about transferring. I also dont really know how to talk to them about it. Advice needed.

There's no transfer mechanism. You can try and leverage your disability, but cycling isn't mandatory and plenty manage without. It's Girton or somewhere other than Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
There's no transfer mechanism. You can try and leverage your disability, but cycling isn't mandatory and plenty manage without. It's Girton or somewhere other than Cambridge.

I really don't think that's true. I read somewhere there is a process to transfer.
Original post by renesslaer
I really don't think that's true. I read somewhere there is a process to transfer.

OK, try it then.
Reply 4
In addition, as a postgrad you don't need to have any real involvement with your college, so you don't have to spend 3-4 years there. It's extremely common for postgrads to live in private accommodation after their first year, anyway. As such, I really don't think you'll get very far based on those reasons. Girton is actually quite a nice college with great MCR formals and cool facilities. There are worse placed to be pooled to, imo.
I'd note in terms of "green village", that pretty much describes most of Cambridge. Cambridge is, in a sense, a very large green village. So that would be true at literally every college. Such is the nature of the city...

As above, it's pretty common for postgrads (particularly PhDs) to live out of college after first year. In fact I think you'd be more hard pressed living IN college after first year, since the colleges have limited rooms available and prioritise undergrads generally as I understand. Also in general for postgrads life is centred around the department, not the college, unlike undergrads. The college is just where you sleep (while you have a room there) and and have pastoral support being provided).

Additionally as above there is generally no mechanism to transfer colleges. Extremely rarely students may be permitted to transfer if there was some kind of extraodinary set of extenuating circumstances (e.g. major trauma involving someone else in the college perhaps, and even then maybe not...). It's certainly not normal or common and there is absolutely no guarantee you will be able to when you go there.

In any case, there are regular buses in and around Cambridge so cycling isn't a necessity, and I expect the are additional transport possibilities through the accessibility office if needed. Also while technically you're not allowed to have a car in Cambridge as a student normally, I know quite a few postgrads had one there anyway.

Also you can regularly find rooms from the federated institution colleges offered on the internal housing finder thing they have, and sometimes from the "regular" colleges too. Not to mention the private rental market otherwise. There are additionally a number of other accommodation sites (Causewayside, the West Sites, etc) which are exclusively for staff and postgrads.
Hi!

I have a major disability that causes skin fragility. I am an incoming postgrad and stated multiple times I needed a college in town to accommodate for my disability but my forms were not seen in time and I got allocated to one extremely far out (though not girton). I cannot ride a bike because of my disability and often can’t walk long distances as I will get wounds. I’m living in rented accommodation but still want to use my college as any able bodied person ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had my disability listed as well so I am now in the middle of the transfer process. It’s going smoothly but not as smoothly as you’d think. However I have to stress that I literally have a terminal illness so that could be why I am being taken so seriously. They need to give you reasonable accommodation for your disability though, which may be a taxi fund. Did you say you have a disability on any forms? It is extremely difficult to transfer but it doesn’t seem impossible as people have said. First point of contact would be the DRC. It’s not true though, there is indeed a transfer mechanism. You can find the forms on the student union. But you do need a REALLY good reason.

The transfer must be signed off by your senior tutor and your disability advisor. You also must provide evidence of your disability and detail it’s why your current college is inaccessible. They also say a positive outcome is extremely unlikely in the immediate post admission stage of transfer before term starts by the end of august, so if you’re serious and your disability will prevent you from using your college, Jump on it like now and be ready to prove your case.
(edited 1 year ago)
Also just disliking your college def isn’t a good enough reason. They’ll be able to tell if you’re trying to find an excuse just to be in town. Girton is extremely nice though and thought of very well.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest