The Student Room Group

Why do bad things happen to good people?

And why do good things happen to bad people?
Reply 1
Original post by Miss student

Because life is **** and crazy chaotic, and because sometimes the bad guy needs a win too 😈😇
Sometimes bad things happen to bad people, and good things happen to good people. We just tend to hear a lot about the opposite.
Reply 3
Luck ig
Because people only control a small % of what happens to them in the wider world.

We're also v bad at judging good and bad.
this used to worry me a lot.... but one day i had a flash of insight....

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by the bear

Spoiler

Damn that's deep bro but say there was a guy who sacrificed himself to save someone else from getting hit by a car. Would that not be a good person?
Original post by MnM789
Damn that's deep bro but say there was a guy who sacrificed himself to save someone else from getting hit by a car. Would that not be a good person?

no. his action is definitely good, but he is not a good person. because there is no such thing as a good person.
Reply 8
no. his action is definitely good, but he is not a good person. because there is no such thing as a good person.

Everybody does bad stuff but i believe if someone has done enough good things to outweigh the bad things they can be classed as a good person. Nobodies perfect so that's why the phrase isn't perfect person it's just good person so good people definitely exist
Original post by Miss student

that is life's biggest question. tbh no one knows. the only thing I can say is...everything happens for a reason.

Spoiler

Awww bear. I'll bet you are a good person so the set has at least one member!
Reply 11
People are complex.
There is no God or higher order so no outside, celestial rewards for good behaviour and no outside control of life's chaos.
There is no karma.
To quote Dylan Thomas 'We are not wholly bad or good'

Anyway, whilst it is definitely true that many people get far beyond their 'fair share' of bad things, I do think it is true that a lot of good people are shaped into good people by the bad things that have happened to them. Adversity makes you resilient and more empathetic to what others are going through.
Because 'good' and 'bad' are value judgments that lack any objective basis in reality. You think Tom is a bad man, I think he's an alright bloke, you think him being able to have six paid weeks off work is good, he thinks it's terrible because A) he's injured and B) he can't stand lying around for 6 weeks doing nothing.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
that is life's biggest question. tbh no one knows. the only thing I can say is...everything happens for a reason.

What makes you think that? Whilst there are reasons things happen - I let go of the glass so the glass fell under gravity - whet evidence is there that there is any overall plan as you seem to be implying?
Original post by uberteknik
Awww bear. I'll bet you are a good person so the set has at least one member!

if only ubes :emo:

:hugs:
thats true...bad things happen to good people always :frown: :frown:
if only ubes :emo:

:hugs:
Original post by EBluebear
What makes you think that? Whilst there are reasons things happen - I let go of the glass so the glass fell under gravity - whet evidence is there that there is any overall plan as you seem to be implying?

...your analogy doesn't even make sense. You had total control over what happened to the glass. The original question is an existential one, wondering why things out of our control happens, and the answer is that everything happens for a reason. If you're some kind of atheist then obviously you refuse to understand that.

Quick Reply

Latest