The Student Room Group

Questions about physics at Bath

I was hoping for some advice about a few queries and such I have about doing a physics degree at Bath, any help would be greatly appreciated . I want to be a Theoretical or Astro Physicist as well as lecturer at a university.
1. I am an offer holder for the Physics with Theoretical Physics MPhys course; can I (and should I) switch to Mathematics and Physics course? [asking because from what I’ve heard Bath is extremely well-regarded for its Mathematics while for Physics not quite as much. No intention of contributing to the internet academic rat race :smile:]
2. Is it realistic to think that such a degree would mean I would be able to pursue a PhD and become a lecturer in physics after this course?
3. Since I’ve applied to the MPhys course, is it compulsory for me to complete my masters at Bath if I find that after 3 years I would like to study somewhere else?
Thank you for any responses !
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Alfie33
I was hoping for some advice about a few queries and such I have about doing a physics degree at Bath, any help would be greatly appreciated . I want to be a Theoretical or Astro Physicist as well as lecturer at a university.
1. I am an offer holder for the Physics with Theoretical Physics MPhys course; can I (and should I) switch to Mathematics and Physics course? [asking because from what I’ve heard Bath is extremely well-regarded for its Mathematics while for Physics not quite as much. No intention of contributing to the internet academic rat race :smile:]
2. Is it realistic to think that such a degree would mean I would be able to pursue a PhD and become a lecturer in physics after this course?
3. Since I’ve applied to the MPhys course, is it compulsory for me to complete my masters at Bath if I find that after 3 years I would like to study somewhere else?

Hi @Alfie33!

Whilst unfortunately I cannot give you any Bath specific answers I can give my experience as a physics student. I’d recommend also posting on the uni of Bath forum, hopefully a Bath student or ambassador may be able to help you there.

1. This will be up to the uni. I’d recommend emailing the Bath Physics department to check. At Lancaster students can usually swap between different physics streams fairly easily if it’s early enough in the degree. It is a bit more difficult to swap to / from degrees that are delivered jointly with the maths department because you may not cover all of the core physics modules. I have no idea if this is similar at Bath so I’d recommend contacting them directly. My advice would be to go for the course that you think you’ll enjoy the most and not worry too much about the prestige of the particular department. It is much easier to do the work if you’re enjoying it!

2. Yes! A MPhys degree is definitely a step towards a PhD. Of course, there are many more career options too. Personally I’ve done a MPhys and will be starting a PhD in the autumn. There should be a careers service or careers advisor in your uni and/or department. I’d recommend speaking to them.

3. Again, I can’t speak directly for Bath. At Lancaster the first 3 years were exactly the same on the bsc and mphys so mphys students could drop down to a bsc without any issues and pursue a masters elsewhere if they wished. Again, this could be something to email the department at Bath directly about.

I hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Physics Graduate
Reply 2
Original post by Alfie33

1 - Switch to mathematics and physics only if you want to study 50% of a maths degree. They are quite different in style. It being well-regarded is irrelevant if you don't enjoy studying it.

2 - Yes you would be able to do a PhD if you got a decent grade (same as anywhere). Look up any university physics department's staff - they're definitely not all Oxford/Cambridge graduates.

3 - It's usually very easy to switch between MPhys and BSc after you start.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending