Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OnTheRun has been reading your conversations (and finding them very useful), but hasn't got involved, until now!

Selfishly, I'm looking for your advice! Right, so I have an offer from a BB for an Operations internship and obviously I have a limited time to take it up. I don't know why I applied to Operations - I guess it just looked interesting. But now, reading some comments on here, it's made out to be very second-rate and perhaps boring?! This sounds really arrogant, but it was the first place I applied for, so perhaps I could have done better!

So, basically, what I want to know is:
    - are there any banks I could apply to in other divisions that would likely give offer / rejection within about 2 weeks?
    - is it at all likely that someone with an internship in operations could apply to grad schemes in other divisions and not be looked down upon!
    - is it actually a good place to be applying for given the economic climate?
    - considering that i performed in line with the average employee, how much could i expect to earn after about 3-5 years in Operations at a BB?

you're all stars - and deserve great careers... [now, don't send me to HR, ever......]

OnTheRun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnTheRun)
    OnTheRun has been reading your conversations (and finding them very useful), but hasn't got involved, until now!

Selfishly, I'm looking for your advice! Right, so I have an offer from a BB for an Operations internship and obviously I have a limited time to take it up. I don't know why I applied to Operations - I guess it just looked interesting. But now, reading some comments on here, it's made out to be very second-rate and perhaps boring?! This sounds really arrogant, but it was the first place I applied for, so perhaps I could have done better!

So, basically, what I want to know is:
    - are there any banks I could apply to in other divisions that would likely give offer / rejection within about 2 weeks?
    - is it at all likely that someone with an internship in operations could apply to grad schemes in other divisions and not be looked down upon!
    - is it actually a good place to be applying for given the economic climate?
    - considering that i performed in line with the average employee, how much could i expect to earn after about 3-5 years in Operations at a BB?

you're all stars - and deserve great careers... [now, don't send me to HR, ever......]

OnTheRun
    PM'ed you.

ReputationRep:
    OnTheRun/uthink would you mind sharing some information you found out? it would also help me out too =]

ReputationRep:
    Take the offer, you can always turn it down if need be.

There are people applying for Front Office grad jobs who've never done an internship, anything is better than nothing - you'll pick up some pretty transferable skills. In addition to this, it'll be a nice little earner for the summer, since some of the BBs pay BO interns up to 800 a week.

ReputationRep:
    I've had the offer through the post now (took rather a while to come) and it's from the leader of the BIM department apparently. Could anyone unpack BIM for me a little?!

The offer is from JPM by the way and I'm an Economics/History student at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnTheRun)
    I've had the offer through the post now (took rather a while to come) and it's from the leader of the BIM department apparently. Could anyone unpack BIM for me a little?!

The offer is from JPM by the way and I'm an Economics/History student at Warwick.
    It's JPM. Great name right now. Not sure what internal mobility's like there, but the good thing about operations is that you'll have a life (mostly) and will be able to gain some decent knowledge. Hiring's been down of late, so in a few years time they may well be looking to other divisions for new talent. In terms of pay, it's generally pretty good, with a good progression.

As to your question regarding BIM - post what it stands for and one of us may be able to explain it.

ReputationRep:
    The programme is not called BIM anymore, its called the CDP (corporate development programme)

ReputationRep:
    With Economics and History from Warwick you could do far better than Ops. Take the offer if you've got nothing else, but network while you're there and try and leverage something else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.