The Student Room Group

self-study a level further maths

So I planned to self study a level further maths because my school only allow study 4 subjects and if I study FM in my school I will not be able to study the subject that I want. I get grade 9 in my GCSE FM. Usually are there some people the same as me? and do the school allow me to take the exam at Y13?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I planned to self study a level further maths because my school only allow study 4 subjects and if I study FM in my school I will not be able to study the subject that I want. I get grade 9 in my GCSE FM. Usually are there some people the same as me? and do the school allow me to take the exam at Y13?

You can sit any exam you want as an independent candidate even if you are not going to school at all. Ask your school first and see what is going on but if they don't let you then you can still take the exam on your own.
Original post by Varins
You can sit any exam you want as an independent candidate even if you are not going to school at all. Ask your school first and see what is going on but if they don't let you then you can still take the exam on your own.

Thanks but do you think it is too risky to do that?
Reply 3
Thanks but do you think it is too risky to do that?

No if you are very good in maths and dedicated to your studies and really want to succeed.

So how many A levels are you planning to take altogether? Are you in England?
Original post by Muttley79
So how many A levels are you planning to take altogether? Are you in England?

Exclude FM I am going to do 4 subject. The reason why I want to include FM is because I want to maximize my chance to uni as I still dont have a desire uni course I want to study
Reply 6
Exclude FM I am going to do 4 subject. The reason why I want to include FM is because I want to maximize my chance to uni as I still dont have a desire uni course I want to study

If you are very good in maths then it's better to take Maths and Further Maths at A-level as this will give you 2 A-levels instead of just 1 and then choose another 2 subjects. Instead of overloading yourself.
What are your other subjects?

Do not do 5 - you won't cope - why can't you just do 4 including FMaths?
Reply 9

This is exactly what I said in my reply above
Original post by Varins
This is exactly what I said in my reply above

You didn't you said 'Exclude Maths I am ddoing 4' that means 5. Perhaps you meant 'Including'?

Why do you need to self-study then? Are you in England?
Reply 11
You didn't you said 'Exclude Maths I am ddoing 4' that means 5. Perhaps you meant 'Including'?

Why do you need to self-study then? Are you in England?

I am not the OP. If you have a look at the conversations you will see that I said exactly what you said.
thank you I think I need to think again what should I choose. Anyway thanks for the advice
Original post by Varins
I am not the OP. If you have a look at the conversations you will see that I said exactly what you said.

Not sure why you replied to me in the first place tbh -

He should do as many subjects as he likes, as top universities love to see evidence of academic potential. :smile:

Remember, 5 is do able if you do languages like French, German and Spanish with Maths and Further Maths.
Original post by thegeek888
He should do as many subjects as he likes, as top universities love to see evidence of academic potential. :smile:

Remember, 5 is do able if you do languages like French, German and Spanish with Maths and Further Maths.

Wrong - universities want to see 3 good grades - you don't get bonus points for more A levels. Please think before giving untrue advice :smile:
Wrong - universities want to see 3 good grades - you don't get bonus points for more A levels. Please think before giving untrue advice :smile:

I went to the open day at LSE and spoke to admissions tutors and they wanted to see Maths and Further Maths for the quantitative courses strongly so. Also they loved to welcome those with more than 3 A-Levels. Also more than half the intake had 4 OR MORE A-Levels. :smile:
I went to the open day at LSE and spoke to admissions tutors and they wanted to see Maths and Further Maths for the quantitative courses strongly so. Also they loved to welcome those with more than 3 A-Levels. Also more than half the intake had 4 OR MORE A-Levels. :smile:

Strange that they said that to you - can you say who you spoke to? This is not what they are saying to schools.

I agree about Maths/FMaths but 4 including those too is plenty.

Do note this article about LSE as well: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/how-the-london-school-of-economics-is-failing-its-students-b24aed5718b5
Strange that they said that to you - can you say who you spoke to? This is not what they are saying to schools.

I agree about Maths/FMaths but 4 including those too is plenty.

Do note this article about LSE as well: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/how-the-london-school-of-economics-is-failing-its-students-b24aed5718b5

I went to the following lectures:

Law
Maths and Economics
Economics

The Law lecture was very academic and so many others I spoke to were doing 4 A-Levels and from top private schools and grammar schools with predominantly GCSEs at A*'s and 1 or 2 A grades.

The Maths and Economics and Maths with Economics could achieve entry based on 3 A-Levels with a 'stellar' Personal Statement, with the A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Economics most desirable.

The Economics lecture was very popular and the lecturer said indirectly you should do 4A-Levels, i.e. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics or History.

I also spoke to many students and they all had 4 A-Levels, especially the International students.

It's quite obvious private schools, grammar schools and international schools do more than 3 A-Levels.

For example, Westminster and St.Pauls all do 4 A-Levels and some do 5 A-Levels, no wonder so many get accepted into Oxford and Cambridge and they are better prepared with a 'stronger' understanding of their subjects too.
(edited 1 year ago)
I went to the following lectures:

Law
Maths and Economics
Economics

The Law lecture was very academic and so many others I spoke to were doing 4 A-Levels and from top private schools and grammar schools with predominantly GCSEs at A*'s and 1 or 2 A grades.

So no lecturer actually said do 5. Doing 4 with FMaths is common in many school but no other combination.

As I have said several times, I teach in a selective school and no-one does more than 4 [and that 4 has to include Maths/FMaths]. It doesn't stop our studnets getting into Oxbridge ... please stop giving wrong information it isn't helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest