The Student Room Group

unsure whether to move schools for sixth form in september

My current schools sixth form is quite far away from my house and I have to get the bus every day which takes up some time. However, all my friends are staying there AND more importantly i get along with all the possible teachers i could have next year, they are also all very good at their jobs and offer tons of help if needed.

The other sixth form gets on average slightly better results and has a higher rate of people getting into oxbridge ( i’m hoping to apply to cambridge assuming my results are as good as i want ). Its also closer to my house so I wouldn’t be wasting as much time getting to school, but i’ve heard quite a few mixed opinions on the school. From what i understand the sixth form is only good for people that naturally do well in school, and the support is quite often limited. I’m predicted mostly 8s and 9s for gcses so I would say i do do well at school AND i tend to like working more independently (i hardly asked for help throughout gcses) but a levels are a step up so this might change… I don’t know anyone there either so i’d have to make new friends.

Overall i’m really stuck on what to choose as despite liking my current friends the fact that they live so far away often means we can’t hang out as much and i would appreciate having mates that live closer, plus i don’t want to base my studies on friends. I also am in desperate need of a change, i feel like my current school has given me as much as it can personally so a change in environment may help me grow as a student. However, all the teachers at my current school are that great at teaching, that they’re making the decision very difficult as I don’t know if the teachers at the other school will be as great at teaching and as helping. I wouldn’t want to jeopardise my learning for a change in environment when i’m inevitably gonna have that once i get to uni in two years.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated as i need to make a choice my results day yet i’ve been stuck since like november not knowing what to do.
Reply 1
the thing about wanting a change in the environment, i completely understand. it’s the reason i went to a different sixth form that was further away, except it was away from my friends. but i wouldn’t say it was the best decision.

i’d say, it doesn’t matter if the closer sixth form has better results on average. i don’t think where you study matters as long as you do everything you can to get the grades you want, especially if you wanna get into Oxbridge. & you’re more likely to get better grades when you have that known support available from teachers, even if you are independent and might not need it.

but, that doesn’t mean you can’t get them in the closer sixth form. surely the teachers there can’t be that unsupportive. i mean most sixth forms are quite independent anyway but if you’re quite obviously struggling, there’s always usually support available. maybe it’s not as great as ur current school’s support, so in comparison, it can be described as ‘limited’, but then, wouldn’t u rather be safe than sorry?

you’re right, a change in environment is always gonna happen at some point in your life, but it really is upto you what you wanna do. i’d say, let your biggest reason for going where you want to go, be where you think you’d thrive more and perform better.

there doesn’t really seem to be any loss in going to your current school’s sixth form apart from the fact that it’s further away, but you’ve been going there for (assuming) 5 years for the secondary school anyway so is it really that frustrating? the other reason would be wanting a change in the environment which you said yourself, do you really wanna jeopardise ur learning for that, showing that ur unsure about the quality of the closer school.

so, based on all that, i’d say just play it safe and go to ur current school’s sixth form. but if u really crave that new change and environment, then there’s nothing wrong with seeking that. just trust your gut and good luck. hope you’re happy with wherever you decide to go <3
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nhsia
the thing about wanting a change in the environment, i completely understand. it’s the reason i went to a different sixth form that was further away, except it was away from my friends. but i wouldn’t say it was the best decision.

i’d say, it doesn’t matter if the closer sixth form has better results on average. i don’t think where you study matters as long as you do everything you can to get the grades you want, especially if you wanna get into Oxbridge. & you’re more likely to get better grades when you have that known support available from teachers, even if you are independent and might not need it.

but, that doesn’t mean you can’t get them in the closer sixth form. surely the teachers there can’t be that unsupportive. i mean most sixth forms are quite independent anyway but if you’re quite obviously struggling, there’s always usually support available. maybe it’s not as great as ur current school’s support, so in comparison, it can be described as ‘limited’, but then, wouldn’t u rather be safe than sorry?

you’re right, a change in environment is always gonna happen at some point in your life, but it really is upto you what you wanna do. i’d say, let your biggest reason for going where you want to go, be where you think you’d thrive more and perform better.

there doesn’t really seem to be any loss in going to your current school’s sixth form apart from the fact that it’s further away, but you’ve been going there for (assuming) 5 years for the secondary school anyway so is it really that frustrating? the other reason would be wanting a change in the environment which you said yourself, do you really wanna jeopardise ur learning for that, showing that ur unsure about the quality of the closer school.

so, based on all that, i’d say just play it safe and go to ur current school’s sixth form. but if u really crave that new change and environment, then there’s nothing wrong with seeking that. just trust your gut and good luck. hope you’re happy with wherever you decide to go <3

thank you 🙏🏼 i’ve decided to stay at my current school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending