Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Telling your partner you want to spend the rest of your life with them Watch

Hmmm, so I have a bit of a question. Been with my man for over two years and I want to tell him I want to spend the rest of my life with him (because, well, I do). Thing is, I don't want to scare him or freak him out or anything.

What I'm asking (especially looking for a male perspective) is whether this kind of thing would freak you out after over two years in a relationship? Or should I wait for him to say it to me?

Anon in case he happens to come across this!

ReputationRep:
    If he's anything like me, he'll have been thinking the same thing for a while by now. Two years is a long time for a relationship, and I should think that he's certainly at least thought about what it would be like to be with you for the rest of his life.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't freak me out if I wanted to as well.
    Frankly, I'm suprised it has taken two years.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I don't see how that could really freak anybody out after two years, sounds really sweet
    I'm not exactly the average male though so probably ignore this =P

ReputationRep:
    I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with my boyfriend after 6 months or less, and he wasn't freaked out at all. To be honest if he was the sort to get freaked out I probably wouldn't have got with him in the first place. I knew he felt the same way about me, so it wasn't a surprise for him at all. In fact I can't actually remember if we ever had an official conversation about it because we both knew that we were 'the one' for each other from so early on. I don't think two years is rushing things at all, OP. It's a fairly long time, after all, so I wouldn't have thought he'd be freaked out.

OK thanks everyone. I just feel like two years might seem a bit soon to make such a statement but apparently not. I have loved him since about three or four months after we got together but certainly for the last few months I've strongly felt that I want to spend all my life with him. Hopefully I won't scare him too much!

ReputationRep:
    HORRIBLE idea... Please don't do it. If the feeling is mutual then it won't need to be said, it will just happen of it's own accord
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hmmm, so I have a bit of a question. Been with my man for over two years and I want to tell him I want to spend the rest of my life with him (because, well, I do). Thing is, I don't want to scare him or freak him out or anything.

What I'm asking (especially looking for a male perspective) is whether this kind of thing would freak you out after over two years in a relationship? Or should I wait for him to say it to me?

Anon in case he happens to come across this!
    Um, how old are you?

Most guys would be pretty freaked out by this.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    am i a wierdo for being the person who said that in the relationship?

both of us feel it though, and its been 15 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    am i a wierdo for being the person who said that in the relationship?

both of us feel it though, and its been 15 months
    Not at all, my boyfriend's said it to me, and we've only been together a year. He is 24 though, so settling down might not seem so daunting to him.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Natcarr88)
    Not at all, my boyfriend's said it to me, and we've only been together a year. He is 24 though, so settling down might not seem so daunting to him.
    im 19, and it wasnt daunting to me

(Original post by Smack)
    Um, how old are you?

Most guys would be pretty freaked out by this.
    We are in our early-mid 20s.

ReputationRep:
    My bf said it to me after a few months together What age are you guys, like what 'stage' are you at? It might be easier if you're going to be getting new jobs and moving soon as moving in together will probably just come up of its own accord!

We share a flat (more through convenience than it being 'ooh let's move in together'). We have spoken about living together properly...

ReputationRep:
    Slip it into a intimate moment

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my boyfriend for just under a year, and we both basically took it for a given that we'd like to be with each other 'to the very end' as they say.

If he feels the same way, you'll probably know by now - any talk of the future involving you on his part would indicate that the feeling is mutual.

However, after 2 years, unless he has commitment issues there should be no harm in asking him

ReputationRep:
    I think at your age, and considering you live together (whether it be 'properly' or not), the question has to have entered his head too.

Either you will be together forever, or not. Doesn't sound like the sort of relationship where there's no eventual 'aim', you know, just a passing young thing, or a bit of fun, or even something where you feel head over heels with one another but it just doesn't last.

You get different sorts of relationships - either you take each day as it comes and just enjoy each others company as is, or you're both working toward an eventual possibility of a goal. As to which sort of relationship you have? No one here knows the answer to that! But I honestly think that by living together it's a pretty decent sign, unless you fell into that too soon and there's problems and can see how it might not work.

ReputationRep:
    If I was as into it as you are I wouldn't be freaked out.

ReputationRep:
    my bf says it to me all the time
    i'm sure it'll be fiine

ReputationRep:
    If someone said that to me I'd be out of there before she could finish the sentence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.