Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Telling your partner you want to spend the rest of your life with them Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hmmm, so I have a bit of a question. Been with my man for over two years and I want to tell him I want to spend the rest of my life with him (because, well, I do). Thing is, I don't want to scare him or freak him out or anything.

What I'm asking (especially looking for a male perspective) is whether this kind of thing would freak you out after over two years in a relationship? Or should I wait for him to say it to me?

Anon in case he happens to come across this!
    Really? awwwww this is the cutest thread. Just tell him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    If someone said that to me I'd be out of there before she could finish the sentence.
    I somehow doubt you would last two years in a relationship then:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin-jesusfreak)
    I somehow doubt you would last two years in a relationship then:confused:
    Been there, done that.

ReputationRep:
    don't.

it will ruin the sex for one. Thats what a proposal is for. Don't take all the mistery out of life. Please.

ReputationRep:
    Step One - Get some really, really strong ductape...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit strange to just come out and say "i wanna spend the rest of my life with you"... Do you mean you're proposing to him then? If not, surely by now it should be obvious if thats how you feel i.e talking about the future together, joking about being old, planning things out together... I have never said that to my boyfriend, and the only time he basically said that was when he proposed, but we both knew without saying anything that we wanted to be together for the rest of our lives. I dunno, I just think it seems strange to say.

ReputationRep:
    i think to be honest, living together is a good step to show that you want to be with them forever.

If you're talking about the future as well together, thats also a good sign - if he's not running away in the other direction, he's obviously on the same lines as you.
    By all means slip it into a conversation when you're talking about the future - but only if you're sure he feels the same.

ReputationRep:
    DO IT 2 Years Is Enough Time To Mention It (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I used to joke about it with my bf, turns out he felt the same. He regularly told me in texts and some of them were quite scary. They went like....
    "Allison I love you, if thats wrong then you can shoot me but please let me hold your hand one last time"
    Tbh that made me wanna puke. We've split up now :p: He dumped me though :|

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.