The Student Room Group

How long do you take to finish a book?

Poll

How long do you take to finish a book?

Depending on the size of the book, how long do you usually take to finish reading a book?

I think my usual is 2 to 3 days, but it does depend on how enthusiastic the plot makes me feel.

What about you?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KA_P
Depending on the size of the book, how long do you usually take to finish reading a book?

I think my usual is 2 to 3 days, but it does depend on how enthusiastic the plot makes me feel.

What about you?

Like you said, it depends on the size if the book and how much I like the plot. Usually, it's 3-7 days.
Depends on the book.. sometimes 3 hours, sometimes 3 years.
Depends on the size. If its like 300-400 pages I can do it in 3 hours. 600 pages takes a day
Original post by Brief Chaos
Depends on the book.. sometimes 3 hours, sometimes 3 years.

:eek: Do you have an example of a book that took you that long?
I’m an avid reader and it takes me 2/3 days to read a 400-500 page book. Less if it’s a real page turner.
(edited 1 year ago)
I used to read books in one sitting, but now I find it much more enjoyable to read 10-15 pages a night over the course of a few weeks.

(I do have one that I started over a year ago, but that's because uni stopped me reading for weeks at a time, and I kept having to restart it because I forgot what had happened so far :colondollar: Now I'm kind of sick of it, but I might finish it one day!)
Original post by Interea
I used to read books in one sitting, but now I find it much more enjoyable to read 10-15 pages a night over the course of a few weeks.

(I do have one that I started over a year ago, but that's because uni stopped me reading for weeks at a time, and I kept having to restart it because I forgot what had happened so far :colondollar: Now I'm kind of sick of it, but I might finish it one day!)

I found that in those sorts of situations it's best to take a long break from it and then when you have the time to read it in fewer sittings.
Original post by KA_P
:eek: Do you have an example of a book that took you that long?

Normal People and When Breath Becomes Air.. I really recommend the latter, it's very touching but I started it at the wrong time Ig.
Normal People and When Breath Becomes Air.. I really recommend the latter, it's very touching but I started it at the wrong time Ig.

Ooh I'll take a look! :jumphug:
Original post by KA_P
Ooh I'll take a look! :jumphug:

PRSOM :biggrin:... It's by a doctor, future doc :wink:
PRSOM :biggrin:... It's by a doctor, future doc :wink:

:woo: PRSOM back at you 🥺❤️

Spoiler

Ooh, I read normal book people by sally Rooney quickly because it wasn’t long but didn’t get the hype.
(edited 1 year ago)
It usually takes me a week, sometimes two. If the book is super long or hard to get into (like non-fiction) it might take me a month or even longer!

The Secret History by Donna Tartt took me approximately a month and a half to finish. 600 pages and I loved every minute of it.

Normal People took me ages too! Personally I couldn’t get on with the style it was written with, and often ended up having to go back and re-read sections multiple times to gauge what was happening/ who said what. So was a bit of a disappointing read for me imo.
Depends on how long the book is and how easy it is to read.
Back when I read Paddington books I could get through one in roughly twenty minutes, but when I read War And Peace it took ever so slightly longer (I'd like to read it again since I was in year 8 when I first read it, and I was perhaps more focussed on reading it for the sake of being able to say that I'd read it - though I'd be inclined to read Anna Karenina before that as I've heard that it's better).

I remember when La Belle Sauvage first arrived in my school library I borrowed it right at the start of the day and read it all through form, break, lunch, and the start of lessons and managed to hand it back in at the end of the day - the librarian didn't believe that I'd read it properly. :lol:
Usually between a few hours to 2 days.
Depends on how interesting the book is and how much spare time I have available.
I haven't managed to finish a book in years. Have gotten through around 3/4 of a book that I started 2 years ago. Used to get through a book a day as a teenager.
Reply 18
I agree, depends on the book.

If I love the plot and am in the mood to read, I can finish a 1500+ page book in a day. A 300-400 page book in a few hours however… I can knock that out in about 3 hours.

With it being the holidays now I have caught up a LOT on my books 😂
Original post by butterfliesss
Normal People took me ages too! Personally I couldn’t get on with the style it was written with, and often ended up having to go back and re-read sections multiple times to gauge what was happening/ who said what. So was a bit of a disappointing read for me imo.

Agreed. It didn’t take long for me to read it but I didn’t like it much. I didn’t like the way it was written and found it quite disappointing especially because the plot had so much potential IMO. I always found love Rosie as a better done version of normal people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending