The Student Room Group

De montfort university or anglia ruskin university?

Don't know which one to pick for their biomedical science degrees. Which is better?
Original post by Alexthebeast2
Don't know which one to pick for their biomedical science degrees. Which is better?

No one can really say which is better for you since it's very personal. There is a uni comparison tool here on TSR that you might find helpful, you might want to consider some different factors such as location, course structure, ranking, distance from home, availability of part-time work in the area, graduate prospects, mental health/disability support the uni offers if applicable, societies + sports team etc, whatever is important to you.
Original post by Alexthebeast2

Biomedical science is an exciting and dynamic subject, where research constantly leads to breakthroughs and medical advances that impact society's health and well-being. Biomedical science students at Anglia Ruskin University learn about the human body at molecular, organ and systems levels, and how to investigate and treat disease.

The three-year course in Cambridge is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science, setting students up for a trainee position in an NHS laboratory as a Health and Care Professions Council-registered biomedical scientist. Both three-year and four-year (placement) courses in Cambridge are accredited by the Royal Society of Biology. The course prepares students for a career in biomedical science, as well as equip them for further study in science or medicine.

I am a third-year Biomedical Science student at ARU. In the first year of the degree,
- I gained a solid grounding in the field of biomedical science. I discovered the wider context, key theories, knowledge and techniques of biology. I also looked at the history and philosophy of science, the history of medicine, and the biology of disease.
- I explore the characteristics, structures and properties of cells, molecules, genes and microorganisms, and how these relate to disease. I learned about human organs and systems, how they function, and how disease, disorder and dysfunction occur.
- I also learned the core mathematical methods you need to succeed as a scientist, and how to work safely, competently and effectively in the lab.
- The assessments included essays, exams and practical analysis.

In the second year of the degree,
- I learned how to perform a variety of diagnostic procedures following legal, ethical and quality assurance guidelines. I gained an understanding of the science underlying them, how to interpret the findings, and how results are communicated to service users.
- I explored how metabolism, organs and genes function in normal and disease conditions, and the environments, health issues and lifestyles that can cause such dysfunction. I discovered the effects diseases have on molecular and cellular processes, and therefore the body, and how they are treated. I found out how biomedical scientists analyse the occurrence of disease through bioinformatics (the study of 'big data') and epidemiology.
- I continued to develop your techniques and skills in the lab. I also learned how to design and propose a research project in preparation for my independent project in Year 3.
- One of the Ruskin Modules that I chose is "Climate Injustice - Can I be an agent of change?". This module allowed me to work with students from different courses to come up with creative solutions to complex problems and key challenges facing society.
- Assessments included - essays, exams and practical analysis, so we can make sure you’re developing the knowledge and skills you need.

Now, I am looking forward to beginning my third year in September 2022.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending